Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Over filling pump drive box

powerjoke ยท 2013-10-16 17:40

I guess you would call it the Pto gear box between engine and drive motor pumps,..... Had a implement pump that knocked a bearing out last week replaced it and new seals etc. we never found the ball retainer for the bearing (all the balls where still in the bearing races tho) we thought we recovered all of the retainer pieces but now I am thinking we missed something anyways, my question is.....where can fluid enter the gearbox only while operating bucket and/or boom ? Should also mention, that fluid is coming out of what appears to be a vent on top of the gearbox......I have not looked at the machine I am only going off of what my operator told me Machine is 2DS 2231 Pj

Replies5
  1. #1Bob/Ont2013-10-16 20:14

    I think you need to rebuild the boom/bucket pump. Is this the one that had the bearing problem? Later Bob

  2. #2powerjoke2013-10-16 23:59

    Already rebuilt the implement pump Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

  3. #3powerjoke2013-10-17 00:01

    Is it a variable displacement or a fixed pump? Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

  4. #4powerjoke2013-10-17 19:54

    Found the culprit, the rotor busted and was allowing psi in the splines which went down and knocked out the front seal. The top and bottom plates are burnt pretty bad too, looks like the machine has been ran low of fluid. In an earlier post when I said we had the implement pump rebuilt what I should have said was that we had a front bearing get knocked out (not sure how the operator caught it, it was performing perfectly) so they just slid a bearing in in and never even disassembled the pump cartridge....... The strange thing is that it ran another. 20 hrs until it developed this gearbox overfill problem..... My theory is this...... The retainer of the old bearing got caught up in the rotor and busted it, it ran for a few hours and by the time the operator caught that it was low on fluid it was too late and that's what smoked the cartridge...... We never felt like we ever recovered the entire ball retainer out of the bearing but searched and searched for it...... New pump was only 650 so it's not a big deal I just don't want to smoke another one or even worse a drive pump Pj

  5. #5Bob/Ont2013-10-17 22:08

    I thought you had a piston pump. Anyway those cracks will likely lead to the pressure oil that forces the vains out against the camring. Later Bob