Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Pallet forks for a backhoe

bdog1234 ยท 2015-10-07 14:30

I just bought a 2012 310SJ and hope to take delivery Friday. I would like to get pallet forks for it. I have some forks for my skid steer I use all the time but there have been times I wanted to unload heavy bundles of pipe or larger farm implements and the skid steer couldn't pick them up. I think the SJ is rated for 6-7k loader lift so it should be nearly double my skid steer. I don't anticipate using them all the time because the skid steer is just so much more nimble for moving the vast majority of things that are not so heavy. What are the options for forks on the backhoe? I guess there are some where you remove the bucket and put them on and then others that just pin on to the top of the bucket and flip over? Do the flip over ones get in the way of normal loader operations? I estimate 90% dirt work and maybe 10% forks. Any recommendations on where to buy these?

Replies14
  1. #1lantraxco2015-10-07 14:49

    There are forks that have a top shaft that fits in hooks welded on the top rear of the loader bucket, you can tip the bucket forward and leave the forks standing up on the ground, that easy. I highly recommend those for occasional use.

  2. #2bdog12342015-10-07 15:02

    Like these?

  3. #3lantraxco2015-10-07 15:29

    Yeah, that's them. http://equipmentforsalebuy.com/custom-built-bucket-forks/

  4. #4bdog12342015-10-07 19:19

    So that is what those hooks are for. :duh I have seen them on many backhoes but never with anything on them. I figured they were just for hooking chains or cables to when lifting things and often wondered why they made them that way instead of just using weld on grab hooks.

  5. #5lantraxco2015-10-07 19:39

    Well, there ya go, lol.

  6. #6CM19952015-10-07 19:58

    My 953 has bucket hooks for forks that we use rarely. Also have a 420DIT with the hyd. quick connect bucket and forks. Obviously the hyd. quick connect works much better but not worth the cost for occasional use. If you decide to go with the bucket hooks and forks get the thicker hooks for the bucket, they're 3/8 to 1/2" thick. Even with the thicker hooks on the 953, I've had to straighten them back up after using them as an anchoring point while extracting stuck equipment. Bucket hooks on the '53. They do give you an added benefit of keeping material from rolling over the bucket when pushing brush or other bulky items

  7. #7Oxbow2015-10-07 22:18

    If yer gonna get stuck you want to make sure that some other fella doesn't just come along and drive it out!:bouncegri

  8. #8The Peej2015-10-08 07:34

    Forks that put the load out in front of the bucket greatly reduce the lift capacity. Your skid steer may have more lift capacity than bucket forks plus bucket forks are nearly impossible to see

  9. #9bdog12342015-10-08 11:18

    I understand that they will reduce the capacity being out front - but how much? I think the loader is rated to lift 7500lbs +/-. My skid does 3500 lbs maybe. It won't cut it in half will it?

  10. #10The Peej2015-10-08 11:24

    The rated capacity is measured at the bucket hinge pin, your load point will be the center the pallet your lifting. Five or six feet in front of the hinge pin so it could be half or more.

  11. #11monster762015-10-08 11:59

    Inuse them they do come in handy they really are a pita but they donsave the day occasionally

  12. #12CM19952015-10-08 19:34

    I don't know the specs for the forks but I wouldn't think it would cut the lifting capacity by 1/2. Monster what's your thoughts on the lifting capacity on your hoe? Only have them on my 953 and it's picked everything I needed it to.

  13. #13greg95042015-10-08 20:14

    See here for one manufacturer, seems rating would still be pretty high, I would have thought it would be lower... http://www.amhattachments.com/bucketforks.php

  14. #14lantraxco2015-10-08 21:55

    greg9504, I think that's the rated load for the pin and forks, not what the machine will actually pick?