Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Parts Washer

bstm23 ยท 2010-05-23 14:18

Finally broke down and bought a parts washer but can't decide what to put in it. It says no flammable solvents (gasoline, kerosene, anything that actually works) so I'm unsure of what's a good water soluble parts cleaner. I've found a product called Safety Kleen , has anyone used this before? Or have any other suggestion?

Replies2
  1. #1alan627b2010-05-23 16:52

    Head to a Walmart, go to the automotive section, and grab a gallon jug of Super Clean. Comes in a 1 gallon purple jug. You can cut this stuff a ton and it still cleans like crazy. It'll clean a stainless kitchen sink with no abrasives needed. http://www.superclean.com/index.php If you wash your hands with this stuff striaght, I'm not sure you'll ever get it to wash off! Seems like it at least..... I take a good sized pump spray bottle, put about 1/4 inch in the bottom, and the rest is water...and it still kicks @ss. Super concentrated. Simple Green or Krud Kutter works well too, but this stuff rules. There's my product endorsement. Safety Kleen drops off parts cleaners and services them in professional repair shops around the nation, and would probably be a good bet too. Alan

  2. #2mitch5042010-05-23 19:38

    I get parts washer solvent from Northern Tool. It comes in a 5 gallon bucket for about $45. I took an old Mack fuel filter base and built a filter and it really cleans the solvent up. The only problem is if you don't use it for a while it evaporates. Alan, have you ever used that stuff in a parts washer? Does it evaporate?