Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Payhaulers

fiat41b ยท 2014-01-08 19:24

Has anyone used any payhaulers if so what kind of projects were they working on I have only used one on hardpan stripping at a quarry and hauling mine refuse at a coal mine will they work ok on a big dirt job.

Replies20
  1. #1buckfever2014-01-10 19:00

    There is a guy around here that has 6 or 7 of them that he moves dirt with. All I can say is make sure you have a good mechanic and a couple of spares.

  2. #2Steve Frazier2014-01-10 19:04

    I believe there's a thread on the Board here somewhere about them. Try searching "Payhauler"

  3. #3terexkerry2014-01-10 19:54

    we are miles apart but contact Mike Ross C & R Develpments they have a few and great guys,good luck,Kerry if you want contact pm me

  4. #4GregD12014-01-10 23:05

    Worked for an outfit years ago and we had 6 of them. They will go where every other truck wishes it could go. We also had 4 new at that time Cat 773`s. The more mud the more obvious they would run circles around the other trucks. Frozen haul roads ? Park the Cats and the Athey wagons we had. Once it dried out and thawed out, park the Payhaulers and run the Cat`s

  5. #5John C.2014-01-11 12:43

    I've worked with both the Payhaulers and Cat 773B with the traction controls. The traction controlled machines ran rings around the Payhaulers and ran all the time. No broken final drives, slipping transmissions and leaky engines. The cabs were cooler to run in the summer and the rats nest of wiring in the dash panels was a lot easier to get at in the Cats. There is a reason there aren't many Payhaulers left.

  6. #6buckfever2014-01-12 16:15

    Now I cann't speak for this companies maintenance policy but I once saw them go through 3 trucks in 3 days hauling off a building pad to a wast area. One snapped the front axel another broke a spring pack and the last one tour out a drive shaft. They were dumping in a pretty nasty area (2 foot deep ruts and water everywhere) but you would figure the trucks would run out of power or get stuck before tearing them selve apart.

  7. #7fiat41b2014-01-15 17:34

    Well I was thinking about running them on a job where it has to have the topsoil removed like 2 to 3 feet thick and put into stock piles the ground is frozen and mushy and frozen and its to bad to run scrapers right now. Cat 385 to load with but don't really have to kill the truck 3 TO 4 7.5 YD buckets there would be 6 TO 8 740's hauling also you have to run on top of the clay if your going to travel in this silty topsoil my terex ts18's worked really nice last time but conditions are not there yet maybe in a few months this has to go now and cant wait for good weather. I think my Terex 18's weigh more than a payhauler empty so with 8 tires psi shouldn't be much worse.

  8. #8alco2014-01-15 18:17

    We had a fleet of 350B and C trucks at a place I used to work. To be honest, the trucks were damn near bullet proof, but a royal pain in the butt to work on. Just not designed with service or repairs in mind. That being said, they would go almost anywhere, and running them next to a fleet of 773Bs, they actually had lower costs. In 2 years, we had some spring packs to change, and one diff. Other than that, it was engine work on the Cummins powered B trucks, and general maintenance on all of them. I have nightmares about working on them, since nothing was easily accessible, but they were VERY solid trucks.

  9. #9fiat41b2014-01-15 22:35

    Well does anyone have any pictures of them working on a site they could post ? and what did you guys load them with.

  10. #10squid_wood7772014-11-06 11:59

    I know of a mine at greenbushes down in the southwest of western australia,that had 6 of these trucks.You had to wear ear plugs and muffs same time because there where 2 v8 gm,s joined together right along side you.Very steep country down there and lot,s of clay.They done the job,nothing else would of.

  11. #11Nige2014-11-06 12:05

    The Payhauler (in all its many guises and resurrections by whoever was stupid enough to buy the company) was without a shadow of a doubt the biggest POS I have ever had the misfortune to come across in well over 40 years working with heavy equipment. Why do people keep dragging up these nightmares from the past..? Leave them to quietly rot away in some long-forgotten boneyard which is where they really belonged in the first place.

  12. #12Scrub Puller2014-11-06 12:42

    Yair . . . You don't like them eh Nige? .(big grin) Cheers.

  13. #13Nige2014-11-06 13:07

    Ya think.....??

  14. #14clintm2014-11-07 20:51

    so nige you want us to get you one to restore when you retire

  15. #15willd8r2014-11-08 00:13

    One of these babys

  16. #16Desertwheeler2014-11-08 02:44

    We have one on site. It's used as a generator tho. Has a mt 4400 haul truck engine mounted on it for moving our 4100's around

  17. #17alco2014-11-08 17:47

    I'd love to see pictures of that Desertwheeler. Our shovel motivator is a big ugly trailer with a Cummins genes inside it.

  18. #18Desertwheeler2014-11-12 11:29

    I'll see if I can grab a picture of it. They don't like us sharing pics or taking them too much.

  19. #19johan72014-11-19 03:17

    Here is a pic of that Payhauler , I met 3 of them in France long ago . They had to climb a steep haulroad , but I think with only rear wheel drive the job could also be done . The Netherlands , johan7

  20. #20IUOE Man2014-11-19 18:52

    I have been on a job were we ran 4 of them,loaded them with a Komatsu PC 650.The area we were working on was a swampy area went it got wet.I know the trucks were pretty well worn but they did great in those conditions.The pumper the ground the better they liked it.I was amazed how well they went with a heaped bed full of dirt in such soft conditions.I do know they used something like 50 of them on the Tenn-Tom waterway project.Loaded them with a Holland belt loader. First Gear makes a very detailed model of the Payhauler. As far as parts go that company I worked for had a boat load of parts for them.