Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

pc78us-6 final drive fluid

NWH ยท 2012-12-28 23:25

What would be the equivalent oil to komatsu to30 ? This is what komatsu recommends for the final drives on my 2008 pc78us-6. I am trying to find something locally available from my bulk dealer.

Replies4
  1. #1NWH2012-12-29 15:33

    Does anyone have an answer? The Komatsu dealer has told me everything from 30 wt. engine oil to 90 wt. gear oil so I do not have much confidence in the fellow I talked to there.

  2. #2Track2012-12-29 15:41

    NWH, the 75-90 gear oil should work good in a gearbox without a clutch pack. If you are in a cold climate you could use a gear lube in the 50 weight range. When you drain the fluid look for brass, if you see any pop the cover off and look at the wear on the planetary shaft bushings. If this get real bad it can take out the outer ring gear and that's what the housing is $$. The oil for these is cheap compared to parts, I see them ignored often and it's stupid because it's soo easy to change and top off.

  3. #3225d Cat2012-12-29 19:42

    I was able to find to30 oil at the local fuel and lubricant supplier. The stuff I got was called "Ultralube to30" made by Ultramar. It said on the pail it is for transmissions and final drives. You likely do not have Ultramar oils where you are from. Try your local fuel and lubricant dealer, they should have it or be able to get it. Any of the big oil names should have it. I was told that 80w90 should not be used. I needed the oil for a Cat machine.

  4. #4NWH2012-12-29 23:24

    Thanks for the replies