Anyone ever rekey their machines? Someone used my excavator to steal equipment a year ago then I got to the job last week and a truck driver used my dozer, the owner of property gave them permission. He's lucky he didn't become a permanent resident of the foundation!! Anyway, I don't believe these keys have anything special since they're cheap and can get easily. I'm hoping to have a locksmith or someone make a key no one else has and replace the key cylinder. All exterior locks and ignition. Is this possible? Thank you!
You're better off installing a hidden kill switch.
That's a good question. I'm not a locksmith but have never seen it done before. I've had switches pulled apart in the past when they no longer worked right, but never had the lock cylinder apart. You might ask a locksmith and let us know what you find out. Usually, companies have multiple operators so they like having one key with multiple copies so anyone can jump on a machine and run it. It has been a problem in the past when you can go to a dealer and buy a ring of keys that will operate about seventy percent of the equipment on the market today. It makes a thief's job a lot less complicated. Now days many machines that I look at have the capacity to set passwords in the electronics that will prevent operation. They big issue with that is forgetting the password or maybe a former employee changing the password. I haven't yet found a company that currently uses the feature. They just accept the possibility of unauthorized use and insure for it. Timberjack is the only company I've seen that provided a specific key for each machine.
With Volvo, you can order fleet (common) or singular. If you buy singular, better order a spare immediately. Im sure others offer the option.
I have re-keyed locks many times. it requires a rod that is the same diameter as the cylinder. It prevents the pins from falling out when the cylinder is removed. It is time consuming to put fallen pins back in the barrel. An assortment of pins of different sizes (lengths) are required to perfectly match the profile of the new key. Some locks and switches are not rekeyable. It depends on how the cylinder is secured in the assembly. It is task best left to a professional. I spent a long time to learn how to do it. I think a a hidden (battery cable) master switch in a lockable enclosure is a better option. IMHO Unless it upsets stored memory for electronics. And that I know nothing about.
I've been putting master switches in plenty of older equipment and it doesn't seem to hurt anything. Newer stuff I've been inspecting nowadays has a regular battery disconnect already installed. Many are secured with a pad lock. I haven't seen the usual little holes in the face plates or the back of the locks that allow pulling the cylinders. That's why I'm curious if it can be done. It's a question that I've been asked in the past.
Lockable master switch..? Pull the master key #2, close the hasp #4 and install a padlock. That way nobody can energize the machine - unless they smash the lock that is. If it's a Cat machine the hasp is a 9G-2758 and provided enough space is available around the master switch it's a 5-minute install.
The big trick with modern equipment and battery cut-off switches is getting the operator to have the patience to wait for the light to go out. Depending on what gee-gaws and doo-dads are hooked in, this could take up to a half hour.
Don't kill the power to the DEF pump before its finished clearing the line if it might be freezing weather.
I fixed it for ya.
Cordless grinders are a thieves best friend. Stolen welding cable is a big problem even when in locked cable reels. You pretty much have to take the cable in your house. Even more than one kill switch might be a good option on machinery. Missing or forgetting a key would really mess up your day.
That's what I would do. All of our larger Cat iron has battery switches which are turned off every day. Just another step/key somebody has to have. I like what Nige brought up as well about the lockable battery switch.
Hidden kill switch is about the only way. The disconnects can be bypassed so easily on machines i've seen.