righto......I'm building a new open cab for an old d5. Anyone got any pics they can post of some good designs I can follow/copy. Appreciate your time.
design I've got now.......my question is to the boilermakers amongst you.....what size steel would you use. I was looking at 100mmx50mmx6mm or 75mmx75mmx6mm. It's more the wall thickness I'm unsure about. Appreciate your thoughts.
Anything you build will be a good sun screen and keep the operator dry if it is raining. If you are trying to protect the operator from falling objects (big objects like trees) or from roll over I would suggest 4"x 4" x 3/8" (100x100x10mm) or thicker. Also build it in such a way that if impact occurs the welds are not taking the "shear force". In other words the steel that makes up the roof sits on top of the posts and the welds are just holding the two together. Lots to consider if you are trying to keep people from getting hurt, not much to consider if you are trying to only make them comfortable.
One thing I would like to mention before I go on about designs: Anything you build would not be considered by any safety organization as a ROPS or FOPS - it has to be a design that has been engineered, tested and certified before it's considered such. Owner-Operator machines on your own private property are okay, as they probably figure "Hey, its your grave"; but don't think you can get it insured as an contractor unit because of that. Now... I suggest looking at some canopies to start with ( Arrow-West/ has a bunch of pictures of canopies you can look at) to get some ideas on construction. You are going to want a frame of heavy square (Lowbed Driver has about the right numbers. If anything, try to go thicker) forming a open-ended cube around the operator's platform. 3/16" or 1/8" plate steel can then be used as the roofing material. Consider too how it is going to be mounted on the dozer - you may have to fit new fenders on your D5 (our D6D uses 1/8" thick plate steel fenders, while our D8 2U and D4D has essentially roofing tin with angle-iron reinforcement) with the proper reinforcement for the front and rear pillars. Some canopies (Like some Ive seen on D4D dozers) go as far as having a special mount that mounts where the ripper or winch would go for the rear pillars. Hope this helps
Mate, What is the purpose of the open cab - shade or protection from the scrub and timber. Firetrack
mainly protection...I want to be able to build screens to protect the operator (me) from srcub I'm pushing out (mainly mulga).....the chance of anything falling on top of me is slight but if I build it strong enough then I've covered that base too.
Might look at machinery trader at D5's to get some ideas ... www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=9411669 www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=9638353 www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=9228551 Thread about the subject HeavyEquipmentForums Good luck on the cab project 54j .