Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Pictures of a small levee stabilization job

sandnsnow ยท 2008-09-14 18:36

I figured I post acouple of pictures of a levee job we did about a week ago. We had to cut 15' by 20' strip out of the stream bed to toe in the rock. All total we used about 15000 tons of class 5 rip rap, (4' to 5' boulders). The Army Corps shorted the job up because of the bull trout spawning season. :Banghead

Replies16
  1. #1Reuben2008-09-18 22:38

    I have been doing stream bank stabalization work non stop for the last three years....So much so that we bought another kobelco specifically for that work. I love our kobelcos.

  2. #2sandnsnow2008-09-20 12:13

    I have used meny brands of machines for this type of work but the others seem to have there quirks that make them less productive. My operators love the sk250. There is always an argument as to who gets to operate it at the start of the job.

  3. #3JJK2008-09-20 13:44

    How in the world do they suppose ANY fish survive in that low water.

  4. #4JTL2009-01-08 02:52

    This project wouldnt happen to be in Lightning Creek would it? Seems like a never ending story out there. Best thing they could do is let it run wild and clean out Clark Fork!! Good to see another North Idaho boy on here!:drinkup

  5. #590plow2009-01-08 20:15

    Nice work. Are you missing a tooth on the machine in the last pic?

  6. #6coopers2009-01-12 23:37

    Great pics sandnsnow! Share more at your convenience.

  7. #7sandnsnow2009-01-17 23:13

    Yes it is missing that was why I was taking the picture. We were waiting for the new tooth and clip to come. Digging in that river rock was hard in teeth.:Banghead

  8. #8sandnsnow2009-01-17 23:19

    It was on lightining creek. As you crossed the bridge we did everything on the east side of the creek. We will probably be back this summer to do the same on the down river side of the creek. ointhead

  9. #9special tool2009-01-18 09:45

    Nice pictures. What is that truck in the second pic???

  10. #10Steve Frazier2009-01-18 11:57

    Looks like an old GMC. Is there a Detroit in it?

  11. #11sandnsnow2009-01-18 12:44

    It is a 68 GMC with a detroit and a brownie. We use it to haul boulders and dirt on site. Short wheel base and she will turn on a dime. I bought that truck from the state of Washington acouple of years ago. It had 60000 on it and she was in great shape. I cannot belive how heavy the suspension is and how much it will carry. That truck takes a beating and keeps on ticking. The corps specs out 10 yard trucks so that why we use highway trucks and not haul trucks.

  12. #12special tool2009-01-18 14:52

    Any more pictures of the GMC?

  13. #13sandnsnow2009-01-20 20:25

    Here is it. I pulled all the split rims off and put new tires and wheels on it Other than that she is still the why I bought it. :cool2

  14. #14stretch2009-01-20 20:45

    There is no way that's a '68. It looks too good to be that old!

  15. #15Steve Frazier2009-01-20 20:51

    My buddy had a truck that sure looks identical, a 10 wheel dump with a 6/71 and a 2 stick tranny, he had the same shift knob that I see in your pic. His Dad bought it new back in '68 and he started running it when his dad passed away. His was in tip top shape too, brings back some memories for me.

  16. #16special tool2009-01-21 07:04

    Yeah, that's a nice truck.