come everyone lets see some pic of your backhoes and some info aout them. I dont have a picture of mine but I have an 1986 case 580e with extend a hoe 4wd without a cab but I love it
580K pics this machine keeps my wrenches busy. Changeing the steel lines from valve body for the outrigger was like a puzzle. I had to take a break and calm down a couple of times. ran outa curses and had to start making up some new ones. Late 80's 580K, 4 wheel drive, 4 in 1 bucket, extendahoe, 2 lever controls converted from the 4 stick/foot swing, no turbo, open cab. good old machine
I'll add some pics since I've always loved backhoes. I find them to be one of the most versatile machines. This is my 08 420E w/ only 8.1 hours on it. Neither bucket has dug into the ground. I also have a 04 420D w/ ~1100 hours which is my main backhoe. I just can't bring myself to use the E yet. We also have an 01 420D w/ close to 3200 hours which is now just a yard machine.
here are some pic's of my C.....i put new rear treads,seat,brakes,tach/hour,power steering pump....rebuilding the dash with lcd tach/hour,oil pressure,engine temp,alt and shuttle temp...
Nice. :cool2 That thing must have cost $110,000 ??? Good luck with it!
a few of my baby...i operate it...don't own it
My New Holland Just a plain no frills work machine but Hollie is my first backhoe and I really like her.
97 Deere 310E 800 hrs...
how do you like the 4 stick operation for the boom. Alot of equipment around my house has that but never got a chance to operate any of them
i learned years ago on a 4 stick......i like it better than wobbles or joys....it had been about 12 years from the last time i ran 1...it was a little scary the fisrt couple times i ran it!!!....just like ridin' a bike came right back...
Here are the babies at home...
I miss the snow. Home made set up from a few years ago.
In the low 70K's. We just know how to haggle real well. They dropped the price 8K in order to keep our business We told the cat salesman that we had a Komatsu salesman bring a 146 to the shop for us to try and he was priced at 71K, so either match it or come close. Needless to say the price difference was a couple hundred in the end, even with the flip back forks. Its got all the bells & whistles besides ride control.
I'd say that's the understatement of the year.
Here is our fleet of backhoes. (5) Cat 430D's, (1) 430E, and (1) Ford 755B behind one of the 430's you can't see.
:notworthy Sweetness! Its well worth mentioning that they're all IT's! How do you like the IT's? That is a 10K option that I would love to have one day, but the only thing we can justify having it for is the forks, and we have a set of forks for every backhoe.
looks like i'm the only 1 in the old and ugly club ...but she's pretty in my eyes!!! ....LOL...:usa
__________________ We love the IT's although we too only use the forks. It's much better then using the forks that clamp on the bucket, which we use to use when he had an entire fleet of old Ford 755's with four lever mechanical controls ....... those were classics
I prefer the older machines than the newer ones
Our 91 JD 310D only has about 7,000 Hrs, We put the extendahoe on ourselves, My father and I, I was 12 Years old at the time and it took us about 2 days if I remember correctly. The 310SG was my winter mount this year
You are not alone. [/ATTACH] My 580K 4x4 open Rops. About a 1992 Phase III. 3 lever and foot swing as it should be. She is a plain jane sporting some battle scars. I have had her for 3 yrs. She has been a good one. Those Knoxville neighbors of mine may recognize the Contractors Machinery decals on it. I think that means she even survived the rental fleet. That is not where i got her from, she came that way. Starting to need some repairs and preventive maintenance items. Unknown hours, all my instruments finally failed, after a long period of intermittent operation. I really have not got a name for her. I usually just call her Big Bitch. I ran 480 backhoes for years started with B and ended with F. It was a little learning curve, Thus her name.
Ugly backhoes unite! You are not alone... Here's my D... Sorry about the branch...
Complete with kids - we've had this '89 for 12 years, and the kids will probably still have it in 30 years. Hope the enviro's let us still run diesel engines then.
where did you get the grapple?:notworthy......i want 1
the first one is my hoe at start time. 06' 420 E 4x4 1400 hours on it and my biddie in the 07' 420 IT
Heres a few shots of mine in action , its not so easy on the eyes , but its a work horse for its age and model Its a 1984 JCB 14000B . I got it with a bad crank shaft and rod , fixed her up , put some good tires , a few hoses , and put some seals in the hydroulic clynders and a cheap volvo look a like paint job on the arms and put her to work . I havent been disapointed yet . Next thing to get for it is a good seat .
Here's my old tractor! And my new Daughter!
cgraham1 , CONGRADULATIONS on your new arrivial !!!! Is she your first child ? Your daughter will be driving your digger before you know it . Wingnut
Here's ours. A 1967 White Oliver 2-78-15. 2 wheel drive, 78 HP, 15 foot max. digging depth. Engine rebuilt over the winter and a new coat of old Cat yellow. Rare, rare, rare!
Ahhh, makes you forget about equipment and remember what's important in life. Treasure the moments with her. My kids are only 7 & 9, but those younger years go by way too fast!!! Wish I had more kids, they're the best thing in life!
Forget Equipment? It makes the other treasures of life possible. If it is rare. Why did you chose not to paint it back to its original glory? Congratulations.
thanks for the pm amunderdog.....
I have a 4 year old girl, too. And she already likes to run the backhoe! Now if I could only teach her to drive a dump truck...
I didn't know it was rare until after I had brought it home and started looking for parts. "You have a WHAT? I haven't seen one of those in YEARS" is not agood thing to hear when searching for parts! I would put the White Oliver stickers back on it if I could find them. I'm going to fabricate a new ROPS as well as the old cab that I took off was nothing but glass and sheet metal.
Here's mine......an '88 655C......brother has fitted it up with this toe-tip bucket to make it easier for loading corn - sorry, that barley to you folks over there
2000 Super L my dad had. Spent a lot of time in it and still one of my favorites. 06' 580M turbo I run every day installing gas main. 4stick foot swing case and wouldnt want to change it.
ghitch, nice hoe! The C's and D's are my favorite Case hoe's. She's a beaut in my eyes as well. You should get more action shots of it. You have any video?
I posted pics under the sideshift hoe thread......here goes
Here's my LB115. Pictures suck, better ones on the way:
Work in progress, JCB 1400B circa 1986 ~3800hrs. Someone had previously pulled shuttle drive apart, and after throwing random parts over their shoulder and leaving the remaining, less interesting (or simply parts too heavy to through over their shoulder) in the bucket to rust. http://yfrog.com/0kjcbinshopj http://yfrog.com/cbjcbminusenginej
Patriots that looks like Pavao's fleet is that right
A Restoration Project In Progress Here's my money pit. It is a 1974 Case 680C. I just purchased it this spring from the widow of one of my best friends. He died of cancer two years ago. So far I have repacked three hydraulic cylinders and have three more to go. I installed a new hydraulic pump input shaft and front engine coupling for it. There is a complete set of transmisson gears in my backyard shed waiting to be installed. The list of repairs needing to be done is longer but I don't want to bore anyone with too many details. I am a retired lifetime heavy equipment operator so this project is a fun way too spend my time when I am not fishing !!
if anyone can help me to post pictures as im new here
Hit reply - Go advanced - Click the paperclip next to the smiley face - upload your pictures - when done click the paper again and your uploaded picture will be ready to attach. I think i got that right:bash
For posting pictures I followed the instructions in this thread and it was really easy. I also bookmarked the thread for future use if I need it.
Hmmmmm! bored with historic equipment , HEAVENS FORBID If they are then there is surely a cake site somewhere for them.
heres my toys
more my toys
i im a huge volvo fan i bought a pel job mini digger before the volvo ec35 then had a new ec55b to with it and the latest is 2007 bl71 that is my favorite machine it has pilot controls to. I no this is an excavator forum but i had to add my fords in to aquaision to
Cat 432e Just picked up our new 432E premier week before last, just fitted new stainless spark arresstor and melted the wiring loom under the bonnet. Get the loom fixed on monday then some mods to the spark arresstor. Will get some picks taken and post them as soon as. Its the finest backhoe I've ever driven, pilot controlls, column power shift, fifth gear, automatic transmission, lemac quick hitch, CD player, no air con or mud guards though.
Here is one of my L while i was digging this morning.
Here's my 680B with the rare extenda-dipper. Isn't she beautiful? Phil
How do you get your windows so clean?
Can you clean my windows please??? Nice 680, havent seen to many older ones with chopsticks.
here is another
All the iron in this thread is outstanding, old and new.... keep them coming
I finally got to put my new (to me) 426C-IT to work today digging for a small addition on a customers house. I bought the machine for $21,000 USD which I think was an amazing deal, it has 7700 hrs on it, starts and runs like a top, a little rough around the edges but pins and bushings are great. I bought the 42" cleanup bucket, wedge style quick change and a spare set of lugs from Accurate Fabricating in Vancouver BC, and the fork carriage on eBay for $499 CDN. I chalk that purchase up to being my best deal ever, it's barely been used. Prior to purchasing from a dealer, I contacted the original owner, it was owned by a fabricating company in Manitoba, their operator told me they pretty much used it for clearing snow and moving material around with their forks. I was leary of the 7700 hrs, but I've seen machines with half the hours that have twice as much wear as this one.
Phil, that's one sweet ride, I like the heck out of it! What's the short cyl just below the left arm attachment?
Better to be born lucky than rich,damn fine piece of Iron.
Atco, I think you are referring to one of the 2 leveling cylinders for the loader bucket. This 680B has a sweet running engine, the 267, and is actually out of a C model.Very comfortable to drive, heavy on the front, and nice visibility. The end of the dipper had to be cut off to transport it on a tilt n load, then it was rewelded. The extendahoe is an early model, and with the dipper removed, the boom takes on a strange appearance. Phil
Phil, how many case backhoes do you have? I've seen 680's, 580B's etc.
Can you tell me more about the wedge style quick change? Sorry to get off topic. Thanks.
Coopers, I just sold the 680B and the 580B went to a new home earlier in the year so that just leaves the International, and a Case hoe attachment that I want to put on a tractor. I just like backhoes . Phil
No problem, around here nobody uses pin grabber couplers, there are 2 standards, CWS and Weldo Beales, which makes the couplers for Finning. Remove 1 or 2 bolts, drive out the wedge, switch buckets, install the wedge and the bolt(s) and away you go. check here for a better description http://www.weldco-beales.com/attachments/excavator_~_log_loader/couplers/manual_wedge_1
go with a pin grabber Builder. You won't regret it. They reduce breakout a little bit unless you use a shorter bucket to keep the pivot radius the same, but I had the really long Ford buckets and I never noticed. You dig into something and either the bucket keeps moving or the backhoe does. It takes less than a minute to do a bucket change. And with the one I had on my LB110, you coud turn the bucket backwards which I did all the time backfilling houses, because you can get the drainrock right up to the foundation wall, and you extent your reach another three feet! (sorry about the hijack)
Having only seen and never used a pin grabber I cannot comment, but living in an area with large amounts of heavy equipment, much due to heavy usage in the forest industry and only ever seeing wedge style quick couplers I was leary to get a pin grabber, plus the fact that the bucket can possibly interfere with outriggers and the boom, and digging strength is reduced I leaned towards the wedge style. I called and prices on buckets were similar, but having to buy 2 pins added $300 to every bucket, since you need to leave 2 pins in each bucket with a pin grabber. Of the three companies I called when pricing buckets and couplers, none recommended the pin grabber, due to the reasons listed. With the wedge style I had to buy a set of lugs to convert my one existing bucket, but that cost was offset by not having to buy a set of pins for it, and now every other bucket and attachment I purchase will be less expensive and better engineered to work with my machine. FWIW, I paid approx $900 CDN for the coupler. to keep this thread on topic, here's another picture of my machine, tearing out some stumps on a job yesterday. If you look closely you can see my 3 year old girl along for the ride.
nice i loved when my dad use to bring me to work and i would sit on the machine with him
you're right in that the upfront cost is a bit less for the wedge. I only ever have two or three buckets for my machines, so its not a big deal. Of course if you have a machine with no QC, then you would have to replace all the lugging to use a wedge, which would be pretty pricy for sure.Wedges are also wear compensating, which the pin grabbers aren't. I have to build the mouth up with weld every 6 months to keep it tight. I have had both and I'm sold on the pin grabbers. I think even in BC a lot of the Cases have the pin grabbers, but I know that the dealerships really push the wedges.
scoop buckets we have these buckets in the uk ,for use with pin grabbers http://www.millerdirect.com/buckets_scoop.aspx cat were fitting these to a lot of machines in the uk cheers graham
1977 IH 2500A just arrived Here's my 1977 IH 2500A; no extra for the rust.... I'll try to get the pic up after my third post..... Rene
1977 IH 2500A just arrived Here we go.... rene
Here is our 2003 580SM. She's got around 2000 hours on her.
Here is my JCB 214S We do lots of Geothermal, digging and back filling is a pleasure. It has 4 wheel steering it will crab walk, you name it I can do it with this thing. http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb233/Clubin_photo/My Hobbies/hobbies2007.jpg http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb233/Clubin_photo/My Hobbies/misc092.jpg
As soon as my probationary period is over, I will post pics of the 580 B that the cemetery I'm the caretaker of got to replace a 40 year old International 2050.
Is that your 580 in your avitar?
yes, that was taken yesterday. Today I started sanding down the rust bubbles and put the newer tires on the Case. I was glad that the rims were interchangable from the Int'l to the Case.
There ya go...your probation period will end soon and you can send a pic.
LOL thanks! I will be posting an intro thread when the time ends.
Post it in the New Members Introduction section and tell everyone who you is. and, Welcome to the forum. :usa
Thanks! I will.
I may just post it on the TLB forum as I am having a brake problem and I want to see if any fellow Case operators have had the same issue.
You could do that. gggraham and goose can help you with your Case brake problems.
Thanks for the advice!
Jd 310 b my recently purchased Deere 310 B i think from early 80s
WOW. That things so old & homely looking that it's COOL. I love old IH stuff.
Cat 416 Here is a picture of my 1986 Cat 416 extendahoe. I plan to use it on my property clearing bush, making fire wood, maintaining 700 ft of gravel road and having fun. Jim
john deere 87 210 c my parents just bought this hoe but i am going to be the one operating it i have never been on a hoe so im exicted to figure this out it will just be for doing work on the farm but it is really tight 5000 hours new hoses, good little hoe or at least i think this is my first post and how do u post pics on here
Thanks, Duke! I think it's cool too.....It's old, but not nearly as old as me!!! Now I just need to find support for this thing! Rene
Welcome to the forum chevyman. :usa After you have made 3 posts you will loose the probationary status and become a junior member, then you will have access to the forum features.
thanks once i get my 3 posts in ill put up a pic of the jd 210 c
87 john deer 210c i just hoped on her today for the first time and this is one great machine
Good looking backhoe!! Does anyone know why deere put straight loader arms on these instead of the curved ones?
nice JD!!!....and finger!!!.....lol..
up until the other day i had never operated a hoe, ive been on my share of tractors and worked with loaders but always thought that a hoe would be real hard and have a big learning curve but i was suprised after about 10 minutes i was zooming right through the dirt and wow its a blast i now wish that i could get a job operating one of these babys but the way it is in southern illinois right now i better just stick with the job i got
Earlier 210C's had the straight loader arms. As the 210 is at the bottom of the line, I'm sure manufacturing cost was a big consideration in the specs. of the machine. The straight arms would be less costly to manufacture than a more complicated curved / angled configuration. Later models of the 210 have a curved design.
Here's quite an unusual set up for you ! My old 2005 Case 695 Super R c/w Suton bucket brush and a backhoe mounted Universal 300mm road planer working on local authority highway repairs. And a close photo up of the diesel tank graphics
Ouch!
heres my 580sl just about to hit 2000 hrs:usa I really cant see not having a tlb
Anyone have info about a small tracked backhoe/loader made by Fruehauf / Davis probably in 1950s. I am about to canibalize it for the backhoe.
Hey chevyman, I am also in WF
I have some info but am typing on the blackberry.
The ugliest dirty hoe This is my first old ugly dirty and sloppy :drinkup hoe and when I am done fixing it mechanically it will still be the ugliest hoe around but hopefully it will dig some holes .I could sure use some pointers as far as what to pay particular attention to these things are new to me .This jcb is based on a leyland tractor with a brockhouse shuttle shift and a 4/98 nt leyland diesel rated at 72 hp its been sitting for some time with a connecting rod hanging out the side of the block .I have a rebuilt engine installed and should be ready to fire it up in a few days . If you have an uglier or dirtier hoe I dare you to post a pic cheers speedbuff:drinkup
Dang that is about as homely as a bucktoothed sister! Still should dig OK. Polish up all the cylinder rods before you run it so you don't tear up the seals. A piece of scotchbrite works good for that.
That's a good point Bill, I've sanded many rods with rusting chrome, sometimes they don't leak and stay that way for a long time. I'm hoping a picture of that Fruehauf/Davis loader backhoe gets posted. Yes the homeliest, ugliest, backhoe has got to be the JCB 3C model, I believe, shown by speedbuff. Getting into it must be like climbing into a cockpit of an airplane wreck. Maybe it has an eject button . Only an odd mother could love that one. Phil
Pic's Soon as i get past my probationary period i will post pictures of my Ford 555a wooble stick. I was wanting a Case 580. COuldnt pass up the the price on the Ford.
I've said before that my backhoe is many things to me - poor-man's crane, poor man's pipe bender, poor man's mobile work bench etc etc. Well, it is also a poor man's fork lift. Someday, I'll get a set ....
ive got a picture someplace i took from close to 20' down in a trench of the bottem side of my my old jd 410d e.h. i showed it to my my daughters ex and told him that was the last thing the last guy who ever screwed with my daughter ever saw,and asked him if he had any questions!
I have a 16 year old daughter, wouldnt mind a copy of that picture.
LOL!!! I've done that too, only I was cleaning the .45 at the same time! Pointed to the 30 acres of woods behind my house and said no one would ever find him...
once i get high enough on the food chain ill post a picture! till then ill see if i can remember the list of rules i gave him :tong RULES OF HANGING OUT WITH MY DAUGHTER 1.How many seats does your car have? 2.Do you have any tatoos or pierced body parts?(identification purposes) 3.Religious preferance?? (see rule #8) 4.Part of your body you consider most valuable ? 5.Are yo familiar with the crushing power of a 20,000 lb backhoe? 6.Have you ever dated the daughter of a disgruntled combat decorated former ARMY AIRBORNE RANGER ??? if so give dates and times for our news letter ! 7.In 500 words or less please explain what the word no means to you. 8.Name nearest living relative you would like notified if # 7 doesnt work out. 9.Name the body part youd least like to recieve a gunshot wound. 10.Name your favorite brand of birth control(see #5 and #6)
Reminds of the story of a farmer here telling a young stock agent, that if anyone came sniffing around his daughter, he would meet them at the front gate with the shot gun. With that, the young bloke replied, "yes and when she's 25, you'll be out there with the cheque book!". Rn'R.
With all the recent threads with JCB's with problems I figured I might as well put up a few pics of one running strong!
Sold a few of those. Nice MP bucket.
i demod a jcb backhoe one time for over a month,even the dealer didnt want it back! :Banghead guttless cheap built in my experiance anyway.told the dealer it was a good thing i wasnt running my deere on that job since it had twice the digging power i would of gotten done sooner and made less money since i was charging by the hour on that project,that dealer hasnt bothered me since!
What year and model is your deer? I rented a rented a 310g a couple times and it didn't seem that much better than the JCB. I actually thought it had less digging power, but I liked the loader end better than the JCB. I figured this was mainly because the deer was 4wd, also the 4in1 was nice.
iran the wheels off my 310d 4x4,loved that machine it was a 96.ive got a 2005 310 4x4 eh and a 2005 710 4x4 eh.definately outdigs the jcb inmo,the 310 cranes much better than jcb also
New to me.........580K.......haven't had time to play with it yet.......
I love all the responses iam getting i havent had time to post any pictures of my machine ill try to get some
My 580B Taken yesterday (9-24-09), with neighbor George having a go at digging for the first time .. he loved it. wide angle shot makes it look like a mini 580B Tom
Grant5127 how is that 580 k treating you so far? I am interested in getting another backhoe.
It looks like you have the large front weight. Be carefull with what you try to haul in the loader bucket.
my new 08 710 j and my gehl getting rolled back over its got hyd quick attach forks and spoon with a multi purpose bucket and tamper,breaker and digging buckets Meanest and biggest backhoe i have ever had !
Ford 555A Picture Here is picture of my 555A leveling my backyard on our little mini farm.
Deeretime, that is one sweet backhoe. Its bout one of the only Deere's I haven't gottin to run yet.
Its great Man!!......... Got to use it this morning to tear-down an old mobile home on my property...... ....... next gonna clear out some cedar trees.........:drinkup...........
dug a hickory out the other day.......root ball was over 9ft .....ol' C won!!!
580 sk My 580 SK Backhoe
ghitch75 - How's ur C treating you? Like the pic. That's a huge tree. tloft- Like the shot!
Is it larger than normal?? .......I did notice when I had a bucket load of concrete that the front tires were in a bind (flat) inflated to 40psi.........
I wouldnt go with out a counterweight on the front.
Old Backhoes lol .. just foolin around
Dude that's scary! That'd be a bad day to see him on your hoe...better start looking for family members.
the ol' gal been treatin' me good!!......have dug out over 30 trees,replaced 2 culvert pipes and put in 1 culvert for the drive way to my new house site.....all in all been a workhorse!!! thanks for askin' coopers!! :usa
all it takes is one time!!...hes gonna be hooked now.
They offerd two weights for the 580K COUNTERWEIGHT front, 900 lbs COUNTERWEIGHT front, 400 lbs As told to me when i bought one. The 900# is for hoe work mostly. The 400# is for multi-purpose. No front weight if loader work mostly. The more counterweight you are carrying the less payload in the loader. And the harder the machine will be on front end components. Makes sense as the front axle does have a max load rating. Picture of 400# counterweight
Ok, went out back and took a couple of pics of Ole Yeller. She's a good old 410b. Like a second wife. Keeps my wallet empty at all times.
Smokin ! deere never sold them over here nice looking digger though.
Bumpy Ride George couldn't figure out why the ride was so bumpy :beatsme FULL VIEW HERE
Wow look at all that added stability...
One of our mamy JCB 3CX's We have them ranging from 2004 to 2007 machines! Awesome machines to be honest! Cant really drive them but have had a few practise sessions in them and really thought they were a strong machine! This machine was taken at our local JCB Dealership! Joe
Here's our 410G the day we got it, we will have had it 3 years next june and only have 400 hrs on it It mainly gets used as a second loader as we do most jobs we the excavators. In hind sight we almost wish we would have had the old 410D gone through and bought a new excavator instead. It is a super nice machine, super smooth and accurate, and faster than hell! It has the front coupler and we would like to get a set of forks for it. Does anyone know a source for aftermarket forks to fit the JD coupler? What can we expect to pay?
You can try HERE .. looks like a great price to me .. with free shipping.
Definitely a good price tloft, thanks for the link! What I am looking for is the type that has its own carriage and takes the place of the bucket on the front quick coupler.
I would have a concern about the strength of a bucket holding a pallet forks like that .I wonder what weight he is rating them for? Having looked at those pictures I would have grave concern for the floor of the bucket twisting with a load on it.
That guy rates his forks at 2,500 pounds, but I'm like you .. very cautious with that much weight riding on a screw clamp .. for the money though ($149.00) it looks like a nice little accessory if you're careful.
we have one of the clamp on reciever hitches that are styled like those forks and for that it works great, but theres no way I would trust clamp on forks.
The screw clamp would not take the weight, it is only there to clamp the forks tight to the bucket. When the weight is on there, the inner end of the clevis on the front edge of the bucket would be carrying all of the weight. The forces would be actually lifting the screws off the bucket. As for the front of the bucket twisting, I think you would find with that amount of leverage, the relief valves on the bucket cylinder or the lift rams would release, or in some cases the back wheels would come off the ground, before any damage was done to the bucket. Rn'R.
Thanks Rn'R for the added perspective .. I was (still am) considering those forks for moving THESE TOTES around .. they hold 275 gallons of rainwater (somewhere around 2300 pounds) .. should be a good test. Tom
What one might do would brace the floor of the bucket to the back of the bucket.This would also help with placement of the forks.
I have a simular set of those forks. I would not recomend them to anyone. The handy tighten handles are a joke as advertised. I have to tighten mine with a sledge hammer about a quarter turn at a lick. They are forever loose - twisted - falling off with load - digging into ground. Cannot see a thing going on so anything important is a two person job. Hard to get on. Atleast for my old broke down ass. They carry the load way out front. Which is way hard on the machine. I can handle around 2000# without to much trouble other heavier things it can lift but cannot roll the bucket back. There has to be another way.
Here are two choices. http://www.berlon.com/bfk.php Around $800.00 http://www.michironandequip.com/custompage.asp?pg=PalletForks
A far superior set up ,they would be what I would opt for...
Case 580M Ext. Hoe
I think G & R manufacturing makes some for deere and them selves. And the ones at deere are reasonably price. The only thing I don't like about forks on a backhoe is that no matter who makes them or what type you can't seem them worth a crap. Its more of a feel.
Thanks, I'll check into them! Do you know what JD forks go for from JD??
Not right off hand, but I will check it out tomorrow. Last time I saw the price sheet they wern't all that expensive. I even remember seeing a set the last time I was down there. I like this type alot better than anything else. J
I really like the CASE machines.
International Harvester 280A My latest impulse buy ... a 1979 model so I'm told, the plate is missing though :beatsme $7k out the door :usa JV
Miss Dinah Shes a mid 80's Dynahoe 490. 4-53 Detroit, 4in1 bucket, a 18" hoe and a 36" hoe. She's a 'working girl' so we call her "Dinah da ho'". Recently did an in-frame overhaul. Now the old Detroit 'screams'. http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/11441372/aview/groundbreakc.JPG
Here's our 2. '06 580 M, and '07 580 SM.
We used the insurance money from the 580 SK, plus my 580 SL as a trade in on the SM. It's an '07, but just had 147 hours on it. It has the pilot controls (even though I grew up on the Case controls, starting with a 580 B in about 1978, I've wanted to try the pilot controls for quite a while since I usually run an excavator if we have anything big going on), cab with A/C and stereo/ CD player. Extendahoe and Ride Control. So far, I really like it. It's way more machine than the 580 M is (I've been disappointed in the M since the beginning. The 580 SK would dig with the M, and the SL would out-dig it even as worn out as it was. If it was dry ground, where the SL could get traction, it would out push the M, even though the M is 4X4.
Here's a few more pics of the Super M.
Nice looking rubber tyred digger,any chance of a picture of the inside of the cab.
yep
Thank you for that, nice cab lay out how does it compare to the previous models?
I'll get some more interior pics in the daylight and put on here. As far as the layout comparison, I really like it. We had some C's back in the '70's that had cabs, and although I was young then, I remember that they had very poor visibility, hard to judge where your back tires were at, and of course you still had to get out of the seat to turn it around on them ( the B's and C's you got up, pushed a lever on the pedestal, and the seat swung around and came up at the same time to the backhoe position). All of our D's and E's (2 D's and about 5 E's) had open ROPS. Our K's were open ROPS (3 K's and the super K that got stolen recently), but that's when they put the instrument panel on the right hand fender, and made the seat pedestal where it wasn't necessary to raise it up to run the backhoe. They also moved both the stabilizer levers to the left hand side of the control console, the hand throttle to the fender by the instrument panel, and went to the tilt hood instead of the side panels that you had to remove to get to the engine. My Super L was my first "modern day" cab backhoe, with A/C. I really liked the layout of the cab, all the climate controls on the right side ROPS post, which is where I also mounted the remote console for the stereo. Things I didn't like about the L cab, not much leg room when turning the seat around, latches on the 2 back sliding window would sometimes fail to engage properly, causing windows to slam down into open position. As for the Super M, the cab is a lot roomier, I never have to adjust the seat fore or aft, the pedestal is positioned where I can comfortably operate either the loader or backhoe with the seat slid all the way back. Climate controls are in the instrument panel, stereo is built into the headliner. Just a lot better thought out cab in my opinion.
Cat 420 d Our Backhoe...
if I knew how to post pictures i would
Have a look here. pictures
Sorry fellas, it won't let me post pics that I already posted in another thread.
Where?
It won't let me post pics that i've posted on another thread already. Here's a link to the thread that has the pics though
this it
Thanks, now if you could explain to me how to do that I would highly appreciate it! I've got better pics on the first page of that thread that I want to post:notworthy
Well I can't really cause I don't really know how I do it but it always works,nice to know that us old duffers can make this modern technology dance a little,all be it beyond our comprehension . I'll have a look and see if the earlier ones work.
Yep ! still works. The side tip bucket is a nice touch.
I can even do it in the same thread yabba dabba dooo!
Just so everyone knows, this is not his backhoe:tong It's mine Paid 7k for it, it's my first vehicle ever:usa
Haha Delighted for you Steve, and may you have many happy seat hours on it. lol Just in case they didn't see your post.
Lol... I was joking around
if you change a letter or add a letter in original pic on computer you should have no problem
Nice pics everyone! i cant wait to buy one for myself now!
B300 Bobcat Stepdad picked this up just a few months ago. Haven't seen one posted here. Had 900 hrs on it ... came with 3 back buckets ... we've since bought a front grapple/root rake for it & a set of forks. Takes most Bobcat front attachments & has Power Beyond plumbed. Back buckets are 2 bolt wedge quickies. Full time 4x4 & full time 4 wheel steer. Hydrostatic drive. Sweet little bugger ! G
Nice looking rig .
congrats on the bobcat, it's a shame they quit making them. i think it will suprise you. good luck,
Great little machine capt ! I'd rather run it than our Cat 416's at work. My 12yr old daughter loves it too. She was swinging dirt with the hoe when I built a driveway in to the front of my house ... & she was unloading 12 - 14" x 10' longcherry logs with the front grapple.
Here's a few pics of my 430E IT:usa
Fancy!
my 410G
Here's my Case 580K it is an 87 or 88 4x4 Extendahoe Standard but large capacity loader bucket. We bought it last fall, and had her painted and redecaled rite off the bat hence why she looks so purdy. She has been a bit of a money pit to get her where we want her, but it is totally worth it!
Nice M. I like my M better owned by someone else. The build quality on my stunk.
Bluntman, do the teeth hit the boom with the quick coupler on? seems like it could. What kind of coupler do you have on there? What do you have for buckets?
teeth dont hit the boom. cant remember what the coupler is, got a 12, 24, and a 30inch buckets, tamper. still havent welded my hooks on loader bucket for my forks since we got rid of 2 410E. i know i need new pads for my outriggers!
It looks like it might be the Deere coupler. Were thinking about getting a coupler for our 410G, priced out the wane-roys, and the deere one. How do you like that coupler, does it work easily, does it stay tight or does it rattle?
i like it, works better than banging pins out, it stays tight. would like to trade my 2 tampers i have on my 35 and 50 deere compact excavators for a breaker for our 410g . beats jackhammering with a compressor, rented one for $300 a day and only had to use it for five minutes!:Banghead
everyone its case 580e i had to make a new account because I forgot my password for the other one and i got rid of that email adress
All the way back to the start, was it worth it? cat980 Probationary Member Join Date: Nov 2009 Location: new jersey Posts: 1
Ask nice and one of the mods can probably restore your old account with a new e-mail.
I already asked them and never re[lied back to me. Stock I thought about that i didnt think it was worth it at first but i love coming on here lookng at new posts
.... First digger, and still drive the odd time for the new owner 1987 2wd Jcb Sitemaster. Hours Meter stopped at 19000 8 years ago, so it has to be well high now. 1994 4wd jcb Sitemaster, 8k hours 1996 4wd Sitemaster, 2500 hours. Very underpowered, non turbo 1991 Hammermaster, drove this for 3 days
wow well over 19000 hrs on a backhoe is a lot
nice pictures, thanks for sharing.
Great photos. My third posting. yea.
a couple pictures of my new and first backhoe it's a 1986 580se
my machine a case 590 sle nick.........
Nice 590, Do you find the back actor easy to get used to. I tried one and found it very bouncy. Tried a 2006 model and see they changed it and works lovely. I guess given time i would get used to it. Looks mint. What hours is on it Nick
my first one 580c reg hoe 2nd 580 super e ext hoe new now
did find the backhoe bouncy but got used to it.the machine is 2001 in fact the last 590sle sold in the uk.current got just over 4000 hours on it.looking to upgrade in new year.fancy a servo controlled 3cx or a lb110 newholland nick
I drove a cat with servo's and the front was servo too, Would like to try one of the volvo backhoe's. Mint case for the year and low hours...... and engine pics and inside etc
how long till you can post pics in a new thread?
http://s667.photobucket.com/albums/vv40/awsomeokid13/?action=view¤t=mybackhoe.jpg well guys finally got a pick of my case backhoe so here she is
Hello everybody, First post here. Just picked up a 99' Fermec 960. Less than 1800 hours on it. Will be using it to build my retirement home. I'm sure I'll have some questions for you as time goes by. I've got all of the manuals ordered already. Anybody have an experience with this model? I was going to attach a picture to this post but I seem to be unable to. Do you have to use an offsite host?
Here is a tutorial thread explaining how to post pics.
It seems I have passed my probationary status. Here is one shot.
Sweet machine!just watch the level of play on the king post,if it gets to excessive, she will break the slew rams. Not sure if she has one or two bushes on the steel pin,some of the early ones had to be line bored and a second bush was fitted at the top,as the pin was harder than the housing it was in. just a thought!
Oh no theres snow on the ground where you are! Its suposed to happen here soon... we've avoided it a few times... soon though :usa
John Deere 410 1982 Extendahoe
nwever knew johndeere made extendahoe a those old style johndeeres
good eqpt good\looking machines
no choice but to hijack I would like to post picture of my TLB a 1974 ford 3550 hoping that someone can identify what model hoe and bucket i have, i want to order some pins and bushings online. rhinoabe
there's a Test Thread ... throw a couple more posts there, then you can post pics.
I have a 1974 ford 3550 TLB can someone please help me identify the loader and hoe so i can order some parts online
http://www.mascus.fi/Maarakennus/Kaytetyt-Kaivurikuormaajat/Fermec/965/images/03971e71-0d83-4eea-9488-a6806cb3e5bf.html The machine I previously owned, finaly got pictures out of it. Hope the link works. The fermec Cumminszhere bought should be well working machine, I've liked it. I suppose the arm and loader are mechanically driven, so you will have less electric there.
Hempo, that is a sharp looking machine, never seen anything like it!
Hempo - Does it have an x-hoe?
If by x-hoe you're mean extending hoe, then yes it does have it.
Allis Chalmers 715B Orphan Here's a picture of my Allis... 1982. I gather there not many of these around, but I've found it to be an affordable machine (6k) for working around our property. Having spent my career in the Automotive repair industry, this my first Diesel, and first piece of equipment. (other than farm tractors). I should have got involved with Backhoes years ago!!
Here is a pic of the skid and backhoe during the first snow storm of the season.
I love doing snow in my backhoe, it makes what used to be a suck job, fun and fast! And ofcourse, I can do it in pants and a t-shirt instead of all bundeld up... gotta have an enclosed cab! Hell, with yesterdays droping of snow (13" of wet greasy heavy snow), I did my house, my rental property (not part of the rental agreement) my neighbor accross the street (just to be nice because he was hand shoveling it) and my best friends house down the street... spent about 4-5 hrs total... let the good times roll!
i love plowing snow with the my backhoe no in closed cab but i like bundeling up. What I like the most is driving allover town goin to do parkinglots
That looks too cold, even with cab.
Can't wait for snow!
snow Maybe you guys should start a thread about snow and moving it around... When I was young I enjoyed it, but after 24 years of snow I moved South to get away from it! (...and the salt & corrosion that goes with it!)
Bob i dont know how long you have been down here but 1" of snow shuts down most of AR. I do miss the money from plowing but not the hours being in the seat.
Ya, 2 years ago we got a freak 7" snowfall. We've been in the Arkansas river valley for about 3 years, and what little snow we get Mother nature takes away in a day or two. Not so in Northern Michigan! One thing about retirement, I can wait it out! They get quite a bit more in the mountains north of us.The first winter I remember driving in to town with my Jeep wondering why the roads were empty. (1 inch on the ground).
Nice Allis. I need to get some pics up of mine, but apparently I'm on probation and can't post pics yet??
my Allis Here we go...
is that a d15 or totaly different industrial tractor looks like a D15 pretty nice
Heres my 1981 Ford 555 Got it in november, first hoe. Needs lots of tlc, but everything is tight, no welds on either boom, 4k hours. Came with 2 buckets, 1 and 2 ft, also came with front weights. Motor hydro locked on me, turns out it had a pin holed liner, but runs great and starts easy, block sealer has fixed it for now, will rebuild motor possibly in the spring.
If she is gone on the block wall a sleeve may fix it, but porosity is like cancer and can and will spread.Some blocks went on the cam shaft into an oil gallery ,rendering them irreparable.Has she got the T4 or T5 XX block fitted,might be no harm to look out for a lump that running,they were fitted to compressors etc but you will have to use your own injector pump.Is it a torque or manual transmission? O! don't forget to check the diff oil as it is separate to transmission resulting in it being neglected until the diff dies,the diff is exclusive to the backhoe and is a real PITA to do ..the last one I did I replaced the whole housing and diff as it was cheaper and faster complete,and still a PITA.
Its a 615 industrial tractor. She looks good but a little worn out. needs pins and bushings pretty bad.
Hello everyone, I'm new here. I just bought my first machine last week. Its a 79' Deere 310A, its in very good shape for the age. I got it from a farmer who had it since 1990 and kept it inside. Id love to post some pictures but havent figured out how to do it yet?
JD 310a will not move help?
hydraulics work?
Here's my favorite piece of equiptment series 1. I do hate the priority swing
Can any one tell me how to change the pattern on a backhoe to excavator pattern
On what?
on backhoes with wobble stick setups i want to make it excavator pattern [SAE]
OK! so what make of back hoe do you have that has wobblely stix on it?
I'm looking at geting a cat428c or JCB or JD. I think i can swop the linkage? but it would be good if i could hav excavator pattern and backhoe pattern but i need excavator the most if you can help me it wiil be good thanks.
I know it is forsure possible on the 410g's but it's not the linkage you change it is the hydraulic lines on the control valve and if you do it rite you only have to move 4 lines good luck !
most cats come with excavator pattern
I haven't read through the thread yet, so this might be repeat info. FYI I used to work for a 400+ employee dry utility contractor who had lots of Case 580 backhoes. The steel lines (valve body to outrigger) would rub holes in them a lot. The mechanics there would replace them with hydraulic hoses instead of replacing them with steel lines. This would last longer and was much easier to install/remove.
Wow. Thats a great price. I paid $74K for a '97 416C (new in CA), similarly equiped but no forks or ride control.
Here's a pic of my Grandpa's 74' or 75' 580B. I try to have it running every couple of weeks so that If Gramps needs it it's ready.
my 416c
more pics hoe with the holland
I hope to have a backhoe to post here in the next couple of months. I'm currently looking for one for some excavation needs around my new property
roadrunner, that B looks very nice!
Well its been taken care off for the last 20 years, transmission was rebuilt about 6 years ago. The motor is getting fairly tired but it still starts every time. All hydraulics work and no leaks.
Has she got a perkins in her? The 428 over here had you know.
I have a pristine DYNAHOE 190 I would love to share with everyone on here, as soon as I find A photo Iwill try to post it:usa
Perkins? I think its the 188.
Pictures of your babies I'm beginning to think that many of you likely have pictures of your machines in your wallet just like you would with your kids...lol. Great to see the pride of ownership.
Is it really that obvious?
JCB 214 '05 Heater to engine connection, does anyone have a shot of the heater hose connection to the Perkins 1000 engine for the JCB backhoe 2005. I think the one hose goes to the top of the block in the front next to a sensor,does the other one go to the small hose teed into the lower radiator hose? it has a plug in it from the factory.thanks
Here is my Fermec 965 ´00. I just bought it and am still learning to use it. Here I´m lifting my sailboat which was blown over in high winds.
i see the fermec is taking shape painted the font loader arms hope it works great i used a lot of an ** 860 loved the sound of the engine on em
Thanks volvobl. Yes I fixed her up pretty good now. Did some small repairs that were needed, re-upholstered the seat, new batteries etc.. so I´m looking forward to having some good times on this machine. I agree the motor has a nice sound, plenty power and nice to work on so far. Here is a picture from the lot when I bought her. It doesn´t take much to make these machines look much nicer
Here are a few of mine and my truck. The hoe is a 79' Deere 310A, I got it from an 84 yr old farmer whos had it for the last 20 yrs and used it mainly to move snow. Still got the original paint and looks pretty good for a 30 yr old machine. The truck is my newest toy, its an 88' Ford L8000
do you mean from jd to cat?control...theres only the two..here in canada.case control went out years ago..and soon it will b only cat control up here :beatsme
Ben1 you mean diagonal or SAE+ to ISO+ ISO being the normal excavator pattern.
RE: pictures of your backhoe I am new to here and i can't seem to find the link to post pic's of my Case 580SE but it is my avatar pic thou
I don't carry any pic's in my wallet... now my cell phone, that's a different story! Got pic's of all the toys... kids... Girlfriend... ect... Gotta be able to show off when the time arises!
LoL, I have pics of my Backhoe in my Wallet and on my cell phone:cool2 Also just a question is anyone going to the Yoder & Frey Auction in Kissimmee next week? I am heading down Sat the 6th and will be there for most of it. Thanks
Kissimee FL? When is it, I'm going to FL from the 9th to the 17th for vaca... i could certainly sneak away 3
Hey, Bartlanz if u go to the Yoder & Frey website u can get a map of the Auction location and a list of equipment its a 8 day auction and i belive that now there are over 10,000 lots to be auction. I have been going to this auction for the last 17 years and its unbeliveable the amount and types of equipment that is there. I have meet people from all over the world there too. Thanks, and maybe will see u there
Welcome to the forum diggerdave1958. :usa Here's a link to posting pics
Well i think i was able to upload a pic of my 1986 Case 580 SE 4x4
Thank you, ATCOEQUIP I am happy to have found this site there is a lot of info and a lot of people with great info here. Thanks again, diggerdave
heres my purdy lil girl This is my 420e..I dont own it wish i did though..but none the less it s still my while i work for this company. I got it when it was brand new had i think 2 hours on it..now it has 3611 i think? dont hold me to it but anyway i try and keep it lookin as best i can even though that is hard to do in the oilfileds..its hard to keep anything clean out here...annd you will see wut im talkin about in one of the pics...I was doing a grid dig across an old tank far and hit the OIL table not the water table haha there was literally so much oil in the ground it was oosing out like that...that trench is about 10' long and bout 4' deep and half of it is oil its crazy ive never seen anything like that anyway hope you like the pics...oh and they are kinda out of order sorry im not the best with computers lol
wow.... that's alot of oil How do you guys go about cleaning that up?
If I were to guess your location I would say those photos were taken near Ventura Avenue. Am I close?
we have already cleaned it up.. you just go in and start diggin it out until you dont find anymore oil...this area was under and old tank that we demoed....and DGODGR if i knew you i would tell you where it was at but i dont wanna get sued or anything because of the picture....not that there is something wrong they have already cleaned the location...but u know what i mean i dont wanna say any names or companies for my liabilities sake...but i will give you a general area its over in fillmore.
I don't need specifics. I just thought I recognized the terrain. I was only off by about thirty miles. Not so bad for an unlabled photo. BTW with todays technology you may want to think twice about posting photos like that if you have the type of concerns mentioned in your last post. You may want to have the moderator remove the questionable pics.
My Muck Movers Here are my machines, my favorite is my 99 580SL 4x4 Extendahoe. She has just under 6000 hrs. Then there is my 03 Bobcat 753G, my 01 Bobcat 463F, my 89 F-700 Dump, my 86 Corn-binder Dump, and my 99 F-550 4x4 7.3. I also have a New Holland L445, a 72 580B, and a Scat Trak 1500D but no pic's yet.
More Pic's Here are a couple more pic's!
Ave really liked goin thro that gallery n now appreciate the wide variety of hoes. Why the feeling that cat have the best hoes? Very informative. Cheers everybody
Well i don't think that Cat makes the Best "Hoes" they make very good "Hoes" I have a Case 580SE now but the Best Backhoe i have ever had was a John Deere 310SE
What happen that you had to get rid of the 310 for an old 580E?
Well sad to say it was costing to much every month, so i had to sell it ointhead and then i paid for a older machine with no payments :Banghead
No payments are the best payments :drinkup
Thanks diggerdave n others for that contribution. Unfortunately there are no John Deeres n have only seen 2 Case backhoes in my country(Kenya). The available models are mainly Cat, JCB(have even seen some smoky unit made in India), Komatsu, and volvo. But very good point on no monthly payments especially in these tough economic times and not very pleasant bank managers when the going gets tough.
They're not mine, but moving them around the yard... you just get sort of attached to them..
this is my 580e more recently iam an the crater of this tread case580e bit i lost my password and i closed that email account i have will get more pics soon
Hey, Cat980 what year is your 580 SE ?? i have a 1986 580 SE 4x4 with Ext-hoe
mine is an 86 also but i got a home made windshield
got some more of my 580se
more
Here are a couple more pics of my 580 SE and 1 with my ripper inside the bucket its a Guest Ind i purchased about 15 years ago, and Cat980 i like your machine better than mine i have always like the 2 stick controls better than the 4 and footswings on mine
you machine looks bigger than mine for some reason
Cat980, the tires sizes on my 580 are fronts 14x17.5nhs and the rears are 17.5Lx24 maybe its just bigger tires ????
I would say one of three things... or maybe a combo... Either a funny camera trick... your front tires are bigger than most or your rears are smaller.... I'm pretty sure on my k the rears are 19x24's i dont remember the fronts but i thought they where 12 x something... I know both of yours are e's so i dont know... i think its the tire thing... hmmm fwiw you mite want to check your tires, bc having the wrong size tires will stress your 4x4 system
i just might be me i dont know
My 590 SL has 14x17.5 fronts, pretty sure most 580s had 12x16.5 fronts +the 590 has wider wheels. Maybe yours has 590 front tires and wheels? It does seem to sit a little high in the front!:beatsme
Thought Id throw a few more into the mix from work.:usa
few more
more
couple more
Some older ones. Working for dad.
Some small sewer main work. Have more pics with the excavator, but here some of the backhoe work.
couple more
Some more trenchin Ive done with a friend Super M with Pilots in some very rare clean New England digging. And precision tree dropping haha.
Js are you allowed to place all the excavated material back in the trench or is it like here where the excavation is in the road you are required to use crushed stone fill to Spec cl804 or 6n ?
Depends, some jobs require or are engineered to have certain material. Us in particular we make the judgement running the gas main. If its dry suitable material with no rocks over a certain size we can reuse it. We do use alot of new gravel though.
I have had this machine for over 6 years now and last summer i replace the front tires with the 14x17.5 that where on there, and i have notice that when i have been around other 580's mine does sit a little higher than others i am not to worried about the bigger tires on her i don't "road" the machine alot and i would NEVER road her in 4x4 :drinkup
I have a similar tire on one front on my hoe. Doesnt hold up to well on the street. I spend 90% of my time on the street with it. I forget the name and size but the radials that look like loader tires are #1 in my book for the street. Very expensive though.
my backhoe gets roaded everywhere now a days my dump truck is taken off the road beacuse i dont use my backhoe everyday
js580sl Could you get some videos working that hoe?
I have a few not much. Mostly older stuff. Wish I could make a video on a regular day but theres really no time to be messing around with a camera. During the summer literally 15 mins for coffee in the morning other than that I dont stop moving all day. On average we shoot to get 280ft a day. Somedays more some less all depending were we are and what we run into. Ledge, utilities, busy road, etc.
Few other machines working on the same jobs as us.
more
those komatsu backhoes suck my dad got the front bucket stuck in the back of a tandem
Ive only messed around with a 140. Thought it was light and awkward. Cant really judge it though. The guy that owned the machine said he loves it, just had alot of electrical problems with the trans. Looked like a nice machine but watching it carry manholes it looked very bouncy and unbalanced.
The only thing ive noticed with the komatsu's are the cabs are real small, Its alot alot like a new holland 115 I was in before. I rememeber I couldnt swing my feet around normally to the backhoe and I only wear a 10.5 boot.
I'm not a fan of Komatsu TLBs (I have never even ran one), but this sounds like an operator issue, and has nothing to do with wether the machine sucks or not.
pictures of your backhoe Me digging a stump with the old 210c
nice!! I have never seen a 210!
i had to dig stumps with my 580se
What year is your 210? Most of the 210's I have seen had the straight loader arms with no bend.
nice pics. pse check 4 me the goin prices at the auction 4 future ref am interested in purchasin a unit soon as i learn enough of these backhoes. i think a comparative price survey will go a long way in helpin me make the right decision.thanx ironman
diggerdave does you backhoe have a lot of slop in the back mine does when running it like half throttle so when ever I run the back its always full throttle it goes a lot smoother
I think it's easier to blend the functions when you have all the hydraulic fluid that the system is demanding. IMO if the pump is not providing enough fluid the openning of one valve will effect the action of an already open valve more than if you had the pump running at full capacity.
Cat980 i would'nt say it has a Lot of slop, but there is some slop for sure, msot of my work is for underground, sewer, water and septic tanks, and fields so i am not always running full throttle i guess i have just gotten use to the slop, lol
some pics of my JCB 3CX, Older JCB 3CII and an Old JohnDeere2130 tractor
Heres a pic of my old ugly hoe. Its a 1975 Ford 3550 industrial. Its got a 2 stick front bucket and a 4 stick on the rear with the pattern set up after a Case with a hand swing. Its based on an industrial tractor the backhoe has a subframe it clamps to. I also have a Yale fork lift counter weight that I put mounts on to clamp it to the sub frame when using it for loader work only. Dad bought her in 96 or 97 when we were clearing off some cutover property that we bought to put our shop on. I started on it the next day after we got it and never got off. I bought it from dad when I graduated college. I had run alot of wobble stick hoes in the past and the first day I was doing alot of cussing lol. That first job I cleared 150 2 foot diamete pine stumps over that fall and spring. I built a thumb for it when I was 18 for demo work and landscaping. I was the first in this county to have a thumb on a TLB. I got alot of work with this that a few of the big boys with new hoes didnt get. Im rebuilding the machine as I go when ever I have time I make new bushing for it. I also replated the top of the front bucket and built the hooks and a set of forks. I need to make a mock set of hard lines to the loader bucket to get them copied at the hydro shop to make the front back to original specs. One time in its life it had been lost off a trailer and broke the back hoes stick. Its got an ungly patch job on it. The transmission is kind of an odd ball. Its got 3 forwards on it and bedhind the first 2 it has areverse and thje last one is a high forward. The seat is special to it folds over backwards to make the hoe seat. I have it at work now at the landfill dad an I run. Its nice to hasve to load a a load of sand or do landscaping or in the wint its great to scrape out frozen dumpsters.
It's good to see that old hoe (even if it is "ugly" as you say). It looks like the same size and frame as the skip loaders (445s & 545s) that were so popular for so many years. I learned to run a backhoe on a 555. It was not quite as old as yours (I think it was an '81). It was a good hoe and if you take care of yours I'm sure that you will get a lot more years out of her yet. I think you may be mistaken about the control pattern. Fords came with there own unique pattern that was known (at least to us on the West coast) as Ford or Sherman controls. In fact when I was dispatched out of the hall the request stated "Sherman Controls" for operator qualifications. My 416C has those controls even now. Far left lever is crowd; next to the right is boom; next is bucket curl; and far right is swing. Foot pedal for extension, if equipped. I have had to run a Case a time or two (in emergencies) and I had to cross my hands over to run it halfway decent. Foot pedals (there will be two) are for swing on Case controls. There are a lot of your machines sister units still around (5500; 7500; 550; 755) that share that same style boom as yours. A lot of them have been fish plated in exactly the same manner as yours. I have even seen a few 555s & 655s with the same repair though I have never had one break under me before (and I have put a lot of hours on them).
Plenty of good looking machines around here, old and new. While they all do essentially the same job it's pretty cool to see how many different ways there are to skin a cat. Hopefully I can figure out how to get a few pics of my iron up here.
DGODGR thanks for the compliments, Mine had been changes over to a Case pattern. Dad has=d some Cases when I was a kid. I like it it better than the Sherman controls. Dad and I put in a septic tank foar a friend log cabin. He had an old 4500 Ford hoe that was a highboy. Meaning it was based on the 4500 industrial but al lthe controlls for driving were extended and it had a platform like a newer machine. He wanted me to try it witg hi= his first and I couldnt hit the ground with it. I ran home and got mine. I bought his backhoe and finally got to be able to dig a hole. I didnt like driving it the seat sat low and to clutch it you had to put your knee behind your ear lol. The arms on the laoder had both been cracked and swollen from the moisture in them freezing. I found out later why the arms were in bad shape, it was Prentiss County/ Booneville MS sewer lagoon. THey used it to scrap dried Sludge up into piles for disposal. I had the city workers banging it into the concrete bulkheads. We resold the 4500 to a factory that used it for maintenance. I hope to have my old backhoe redone like they are in CLassic Plant Mag. I have seen a skiploader 3 point that mounts onto the mounts the backhoe mounts to. I want to find one mybe even build one. Id like to know how many stumps I got out, privet hedges pulled, brush piled, dirt loaded, barns piles and loaded and other things Ive done with it. Id like to get a 94 or 95 Ford 455 like my older brother had.
Mine is not as nice looking as you all ones are but with some cleaning, seal leaks fixed some pins and busings and some paint I will be looking better, it runs great and several new hoses on it, hope for the best in what I think that is wrong, it won't move forward or Reverse, worked on one 25 years ago and it was that small gear in the rear end that was broken, sure hope it that or something simple, or she will kill me, got it for 1,500
Check the forum rules. You need to have certain amount of posts before you can upload. You may already have enough.
Hey, Joe G there is nothing wrong with that Case 580B they where very good machines in there day and still are, and u got a great deal at 1500 and please keep us posted as to how the rebuild goes.
DGODGR, I will check the rules and will do better, thanks. diggerdave1958, I had a friend of mine that bought one new in 1976, still has it and spent almost nothing but maintaince on it, he had one of the hands that broke a gear in the read end hope that is all this one is, it sure runs good, good tires and looks like after playing with it a little there is a lot of play in the shift on top of the transmission, hope it just fork wear, but going to find out soon, hope start tear down a few weeks, love this group, Joe G.
Here's some pics of my 310C and a pic the thumb I recently picked up for $300 on CL. The thumb itself looks like an Amulet (not sure if it is) but the way it pins onto the bucket and boom is different than what Amulet sells now. The thumb was advertised for a 210C so there must be enough similiarities between the two machines since it fits mine. Also, a pic of the dumper, 1970 F600. Mike
I miss the snow.
Here`s a picture of our new to us 1971 MF50 TLB as I was bringing it home last weekend on the only cool and rainy day we`ve had over the past two weeks. I`m going to use it to build our house, garage, swimming pond, drive way, landscaping, and what ever else the wife can think of! Tom
tom may we see some more pictures of the tbl please?......
Of course you can! The tractor is two hours away, but here a few more that I have. The first three (with the snow) were taken in early March 2010 at the farm where I bought it. If anyone needs anything specific for a restoration let me know as this machine appears to be original. The backhoe is a model 52A and the loader is a model 300. The tractor has a Perkins AD4.204 four cylinder diesel and reverser transmission. Even with 5000+ hours on her, this machine runs strong. The only issue is the engine has an oil leak at the front and back. Tom
That would be a 4-203 engine they were sold here as a "40" and the 50 had the 212 engine. The splines on the hydraulic pump drive shaft have a habit of failing with out warning and when it happens requires a pump replacement and drive shaft also,this problem continued right up to the 60hxt which was the last model I had anything to do with. Keep the lower bearing on the rear king post greased (where the back hoe swivels) because if the bearing gives grief the slew pot can soon follow.... Well wear with it if you give it a bit of TLC she will last a life time.OOOO! yea the steering was a pia as well give it loads of grease, specially the drop shaft.
Nice looking machine you got there, Tom. Did you get anyother buckets with her ??
Nice looking ** :drinkup i bought 1975 industrial TLB 4500 with 2234 hrs in great shape few years back to have around the house for projects,she's a good ol girl strong hydraulics no leaks everything works like it should even the electronics only thing i needed to do was have the injector pump rebuilt and i replaced all the fluids and filters,few welds here and there but nothing major,she's old but digs like hell. has the 201 ci 3 cyl diesel that runs like new uses no oil factory installed ROPS and has the two lever 740 loader and the four lever 15' 755 hoe. all original paint and sheet metal also, she's retired living a pampered lifestyle now.
Hey, daman that a nice looking 4500 you have there, good ones are getting pretty hard to find now a days, seem to me most of the old 4500 i have seen the loader buckets are pretty beat up and yours looks to be in pretty good shape.
Thanks,Yea it has one repair on the left side but it's nothing bad they did a good repair on it the rest of it in great shape.
The new (to me) 89' JCB 3CX. I know a lot of you guys aren't so keen on the JCB's however they are pretty popular machines in Oz and this one came up for the right price and we were able to trace the history and maintenance. 4WD, 4 in 1, flip over forks, Side shift, extend-a-hoe, all glass good, A/C & heater, starts first turn of the key. We need to look at some pins on the hoe in the near future and the main boom cylinder weeps oil, however is in very good shape for the age.
Nice looking machine you have there, Rally Action, are most of the Backhoe in Australia of the Sideshift type ?? and i do like a 4 in 1 bucket they are very handy. Good luck with the new JCB
Nice, them side shift hoes come in handy for sure.
thats a nice looking machine for its age good luck and hope to see some pics of it in action soon
Guys, Thanks for the replies. DiggerDave, from what I've seen here in WA, most backhoes are sideshift. Some of the older machines about are centre mount, however it doesn't seem that common. I wonder whether Sideshift is the prefferred option for manufacturers here due to our road authorities? One benefit is the reduced rear overhang on a side shift when roading the machine, versus a centre mount. As soon as we have a leaky water pump sorted, we'll be putting the machine to good use. I'll post some working pics soon. Karl
Hey, Karl. Yea the only sideshift backhoes i know of around here are run by the local DPW, they seem to like them alot. and you have A/C in your new machine the only way i can get A/C is with all my window open and doing like 25 mph lol
digger thats funny i go9t an open cab on my se so i just have the laborer ty a fan to his back and make him keep his back truned to me. thts what i cll operator comfort
Hey, Cat. You know sometimes I do like the cab on my 580SE (winter) and sometime i wish it was just a 4 post ROPS (summer) but i could live with a OROPS nothing wrong with them you do have a better view of the work area. and i don't do a lot of digging in the winter anyways.
Woe, it's really funny
Lol "you have A/C in your new machine the only way i can get A/C is with all my window open and doing like 25 mph lol" When it hits 40+ degrees c in the shade here, Yeah A/C comes in handy!
Just a question for you Karl, how much work do you get then the temps get that high do you work nights, I know my Case 580SE doesnt like to work when its that hot (or maybe its just me) but my old Case just doesnt seem to run that well when its realie hot.
Just posting a picture of a Fordson Major with Massey Ferguson #220 hoe attachment just installed. She's moving a black walnut sapling. Balance with a small counterweight was just right and it steers much better. These hoe attachments were used on the ** loader and are worth picking up. They are unique because the operator moves with the hoe and they can side-shift if necessary.Isn't she beautiful? Phil
Could anyone help me? I'm in need of a picture of a Case 580m Boom (or similar). I am making a 3D model of it and I cant find any picture from the top view. I really cant get a sense for what is going on inside the boom. This will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Dave, Where I work in the Pilbara area of Western Australia, it's basically like the desert. The weather during summer can reach 48 degrees c plus and stay well over 40 for days on end. Even in winter the temps can be a balmy 25-35 degrees c. Obviously mining machines and train locomotives have huge radiators to cope. Most of the smaller machines such as backhoes have standard cooling systems. Despite the heat and the fine, higly abrasive red dust that gets into everything the machines all seem to run fine during the day. Even the old 95' Case 590 that one of our contractors owns seems to cope OK. Maybe machines for the Australian market have larger coolers and radiators factory fitted....
Backhoe look back in earlier pages of this thread, I posted some pics of the 580M I run.
Thanks, Karl. I had to look up what 48 C was in F = 118 that is hot and yes you sure do need A/C for those kinda of temps. Here in Michigan we don't see 100 F very often maybe we get a few days a year in the 90's but never more than 3 or 4 days in a row but in the winter we will see many days of below 0 F we have block heater that we plug in to preheat the engines i have a timer in the pole barn that will kick on a 6am and run to 8am to warm the machine so if i am going to work that day the backhoe "should" start ?? but it is hard on everything and everyone to work in those temps but a job is a job mostly waterline repairs and frost ripping. Phill that is one very cool backhoe how old do u think she is, and i don't recall ever seeing a backhoe seat that swings with the boom ??? Is ** the only one that made that kind of backhoe ???
Dave, In winter up here we can get down to -2c as well. On those dark mornings, I think the glow plugs get a good workout too!
Digger, Yes it's the only design I'm aware of where the operator swings with the unit, like on an excavator. The tractor is an English version, probably from the very early '60's and this is the latest model. They have a reputation for being very tough and they are built like a tank. The starter is mechanical and they have a distinctive sound with added noise coming from the injection pump and drive. Backhoe, Welcome to the forum:drinkup. There were some pictures here a few months ago showing cracked booms. Phil
my case runs just fine in the hot last summer was 110 and she rant fine but i didnt hahaha
The L's and M's might feel a bit sluggish on the hot hot days but nothing to really complain about.
Last year When I bought this 69 Case with a 33 hoe the owner knew that clean and painted would make me want it. Plus he is a pilot instructor and those guys are particular in a good way. This TLB is an old worker with lots of hours and a few leaks and squeaks but a worker for sure.
That machine looks nice. Did that pilot instructor paint it the wrong color though?
Don't know. Does a 69 580CK not look like that? I always wonder about the construction yellow with the tractor orange? Looks like one was built at home kind of..... My first old machine so I have no reference.
That color looks like a later color to me. I used to run a 580B and it was more yellow than orange. The color on your tractor looks much more orange / tan to me. I could be wrong though.
Very Nice looking machine you have there, rasman57. the paint looks about right too me for a 580CK but either way its a very nice looking machine and i am sure you will get lots of hours out of her. Thanks for posting the pics.
the paint looks like todays case machines from the late 90s and up but still looks nice thanks for the pics we want action shots
In between the action.... early spring action. Me and the bird dog on a break. She is holdin up the chair and I am using the bucket for other work.
Back to work..... real action shot.....digging old stumps out and chewin on a cigar in the sunshine....lovin life right there.
those r some nice pics love the stump one with the cigar
Don't get any better then that,except the cigar.
Over here we call them bitch dogs, or girl dogs or do we use that when we have beer in ..........well as the dog has no feathers I take it is a ....................... A real nice tbl ; well wear with it, and stop smoking them sods of turf they will kill ya
Love the pics of this new machine...Always love to be the first one to "scratch the paint"... In response to the new Cat machine on the first page...
That pic of the Coleman stove in the bucket says it all for me.Grub never tastes as good anywhere else after that.Swap that cigar for a crooked stem pipe and that would be me.I smoked Carter Hall for 40 years.I quit in 2002 and found about 60 lbs I didn't know I had.LOL.Ron G
Ron that sounds so familiar but I wish it was only 60 lbs..................
I haven't had a reliable scale in the house for years,stock!!Ron G
LoL, well Ron...ya musta found some tasty vittles somewhere along the way. :falldownlaugh
Nice action pics. Running the machines without a cab always seemed more fun. I miss the old 580B with no cab that I used to run from time to time. I wasn't any good at running it but it was always fun.
There is just something about the open air and the fact that you are not tied to a dwelling in any way while you make your stomach happy that sticks in your mind forever. We used to take a pound of bacon with us on fishing trips to eat if we didn't catch any fish or to grease the frying pan with to fry up some nice brook trout if we caught some. My goodness,what a feast!!Ron G
seems many american men can operate the heavy duty machines and build your homes. I didn't know this!
Here is our tired old Case 580B I don't know how many hours are on this machine being as that stopped working long ago. It developed some transmission problems so we decided to replace it with something a bit newer. Our "new" machine is a 1997 (I think) Case 580 Super L Series 2 with cab heat/air, 4x4, extend-a-hoe, auxiliary hydraulics, air ride seat, stereo with cd player, and ride control. Using this machine compared to the old is like a dream!
but you still miss running that old machine i know i did
After a very COLD day in December of '05 using the old 580B to unload railroad ties, I don't miss the open cab any more. The bad thing about this day is that we had to road the machine about 8 miles to unload a second truck because the truck we were using to trailer it decided to gel up it was so cold! But, I do have to say it was a very reliable old machine. We took her everywhere and she didn't complain too much!
Nice Case backhoes, upbrakie. The old Case 580B was a pretty good machine back in the day, and you still see alot of them around. I have a Case 580SE 4x4 and its a good machine. Just wonder what kinda of work do you do ?? and that a pretty good load for the 580B.
That is prolly too much for the ol' B. But she could surprise you sometimes. I can't claim either machine as my own but they belong to an operating historical railroad I help out with (I did introduce myself in the new member area). I have a pretty good attatchment to the Super L as I was the one who did the leg work to find her. We bought her some new shoes and added an aux hydraulic circuit for handheld hydraulic tools.
This is the 310 SG I am running right now. Its just a temp job while Im looking for something, but its a pay check so I cant complain for being only 19. I learned on and always ran CASE machines, but I love this thing. I dont remember who I took the second pic for but I had to get rid of my truck for something a bit more fuel efficient so I could afford to get to the job and back. Sad day indeed :'(
My old '55 Ford Just got this about 2 weeks ago. 1955 Ford 850 Has a 172 ci gas engine, 5 speed trans with a Pippin model 116 hoe and a Ford / Dearborn model 10-97 bucket loader. Runs really sweet but I do have some issues with the hoe. Tends to sink down if left all the way up.
Hi, Pete B. you have a real find there you don't see many of them today, and she look to be in great condition, i don't see any welds on her and for a 55 year old machine that is always a plus. great find. good luck with her.
There is a reason that backhoes have boomlocks on them from the factory.Ron G
Here's one of the old 590 SL, building a pad for a new shop!
what are the logs in the background for. or are they just trees that were in the lot. nice backhoe 4in1 really comes in handy
Hey, cgraham1. Nice looking 590SL you have there. And did you cut the log behind the machine from the site you are working on, looks nice and straight.
LOL, cat980 we must have been typing the same thing at the same time LoL
They are Ponderosa pine trees, they're nice and straight, but not much good for anything.... I dropped about 12 of them, bucked them up, and used the 4-in-1 to stack them up. I'd never buy another hoe w/out a 4/1 or ex. hoe . This hoe is pushing 10,000 hrs but I haven't had any problems since I got it.
How about the new 410J Deere someone is letting me run? lol
I know what you mean about the 4 in 1 bucket, cgraham1 I have a 4 in 1 on my skidsteer and almost never take it off some many thing you can do with them, I wish i had one on the Case backhoe. Burnout, wow nice new JD 410J how do you like her ???
I'm lovin the 410, she is a beast and a half. The dial throttle still screws with me, I keep reaching over to throttle up beside the stabilizers and I miss and hit the window. The auto idle is something new to get used to as well. Stereo is awesome as well, my sat radio sounds amazing in there. Today we managed to score some paddle teeth for the bucket, spent a good little bit trying to pound out the old pins with a tire iron and a wee hammer. Getting the new ones in was fun too. But now I have nice paddles.
burnout i guess you just road the machine from job to job
Dolled up JCB Sitemaster Plus Not mine but looks like a good machine.
I got a John Deere 400 I just don't know how to post pics
Couple more shots of Dolly She gets around.
Nice looking machine, I have turned alot of wrenches on case backhoes and invented alot of new swear words while doing it. They are the the best of all the backhoes ever made. Keep up the good work! Gary
Here my old gal...........
thats how you do it right there
My new to me 06 JD 410 G 4X4
410G is an awesome backhoe, you'll be happy with it.
P J Towey is an earthworks business from Nottingham in U.K. :cool2 .....maybe he's over there doing a bit of weekend work for someone
Current BHL, -05 Case 695 SR1 some 4000 hour on it. Bought as a used. Works well. Engcon tiltrotator with proportional controls on the backhoe and multipurpose bucket (4-in-1) in loader. Has also twin controls so you can drive it facing reverse.
That is a NICE machine you have there hempo23, What engine does Case put in there machine over there ??
Don't remember it by heart but i'm pretty sure it's Cases own engine.
If I remember correctly Case and New Holland are owned by the same company. That machine looks like a re-badged New Holland. I'm not sure what engines come in New Hollands. The last time I ran one was when New Holland started making the Ford backhoes. The still had the same engines, that came in the Fords, at that time but the machine was labeled New Holland. The Cases here in the US have a Cummins designed engine. I have not heard of those being put in the Cases in Europe, since they started selling re-badged New Hollands. Nice looking machine for 4, 000 hours.
Starting with the M series 2 case uses a Cummins look alike made by Iveco. New Hollands are the same.
In Europe it's CNH's Power components marked as the manufacturer of the engine.
that's a pretty sick looking backhoe hempo! my uncle died a few months ago and my father now has his John Deere 510 ( made in 1980 ). it's bigger than some of the machines I see here, but it's no monster. has a BIG 4 cyl diesel ( 270 cu. in. or 4.4L engine ). my father reckons its 5 ton, but according to stats i have been reading, its more like 8.7 ton. needs a few small things doing and hose fixed and one ram is a bit dodgy, but aside from that it's all apples. will post pics when I can.
iveco stamped all over them :drinkup
I am peruviam I looking a mechanic or one contact for help me and mi enterprise for buy a machine exactly one backhole cat 420D, I need contact with a mechanic with experience in heavy machinery. Please write to : [email protected] PD: Sorry for my bad letter.
diggerdave those new cases sure came a long way aint like them old 580se anymore
Hey, cat980. they make me and my 580se feel realie OLD
the bad on their part is they got payments to make we dont
Be hittin 5,000hrs by the end of the month, dont look to bad after a good powerwashing.........
You need to touch up those boot marks and that loader bucket. Then it will look brand spanking new.
Need to the boss trade it in for a shiny new Super M series 3 or wait till next year, I hear a 580N series is in the works...? Hear no more ductile iron booms, going to be boxed design now...
My 428C ready for highway travel. D11N sitting beside my rather small 428C
pics of uncles ( now dads) JD 510 here it is
digga, nice backhoe, knowing you guys in australia use very diffrent trucks i would be curious what you tow it with. thanks,
hey guys how about if we get some pic of your backhoe in transport like on a trailer reday to go to the next job
Isuzu FTR 900 (medium) would be the current version of whats pictured. However we will be upgrading shortly as this truck is just not a safe match for the trailer set up. I have also ditched the 428C in favour of a Kobota KX080-3 excavator which lowers my GVM by about 2 tonnes. FVM 1400 (long) would be the preferred next purchase but we'll have to wait and see how business pans out. The hoe is a Komatsu WB97S "Utility", a totally useless machine. We had it for a week on trial and none of the boys liked it at all. We eventually purchased a CAT 432E and are very glad we did.
1973 case 580b Here is my 580b.Just picked it up from south of Ottawa.The guy who owned prior to me was running it without a charging system so I just finished rewiring her and replaced all the lights and the alternator.Replaced the front tires and fixed a few small problems but it works and is all there.
Hey, dangit. The 580b is a good machine very simple and easy to maintain and she looks to be a great condition.
Hi Digger, Its nothing like your catilac(very nice)but for its years,its solid and works and the bonus,it has all its glass and a heater!(for the snow):wink2
580se arent catilacs if your talking about his backhoe
that's mine, bought by my father 17 years ago!
Hey, dangit. As stated by cat980 my 580SE is as far from a Caddy as it can get, but for a 24 year old machine she does a good job. And gpap123 Thats a pretty nice JCB you have there what model is she ?? and what size front tires does she have i have bigger than normal fronts on my 580 they are 14 x17.5 NHS
digger did you buy those bigger tires or did the machine come with them
Nice lookin 580B! Few pics of hoes on trailers round here I had. Nstar gas, dads with a friends 580SM, 710 I seen round town few years ago.
Hey, cat980. they are the tires size that was on the machine when i got her, i have just kept putting the same size back on her
well they are not hurting anything so why change sizes
'75 ford 4500 ain't it purdy?
Heres a toy i picked up last weekend. Its a 1995 Ingersoll 6018 with a little over 1700 hrs.
This is our Cat 420D. We had another one but we traded it off on a 308C.
She is 1986! We bought her in 1993, replaced the gearbox, and after that we are so much satisfied, no serious damages at all. Laast year i replaced the hydraulic pump. Now i am thinking to replace it with a new one... The tyres front and rear are bigger than normal, i cannot remember excactly the number, i will check it. It costs me less maneuvrability but bigger tyres have an advantage in the mud!
Here's my new to me 580k, looking forward to putting it to work.
My backhoe. It's a 1966 ** 200 where you sit on top and the old 4 stick control. It's old, ot that pretty, but it digs and I love it. How do post pictures?
Here's a few of the Super M loaded.
here's another one
Hi all, Just finished a session of seal kits on the stick & swing [5] then yesterday the four remaining for the front, plus tidy a few minor bugs out of the way, only a few to go, then well here in Oz unusually we have a big Winter // Spring on and I made a three inch track just moving into this position near my workshop, rained another two inches today and its sinking in place. Never turn down rain - it feeds us and too many years of drought under the belt. :thumbsup
Just out of curiosity, what are the differences between that machine and one here in the USA? I see it's got a sideshift hoe on it, I've seen a very few of them here. Does it shift hydraulicly (as in have it's own control and cylinders to shift it)? Also, I notice the cab looks different than the K's and L's here. Is that the original paint? The K's here had the brown color cab with a case yellow type top, then they went to the gray with the L's. I'm just kinda curious about the differences.
Hi, thanks for the question and well I'll try! The sideshift hasn't been budged by me yet, there is an electric release switch in the control panel that must relax the hydraulic locks around the sideshift frame. Then use the dipper cylinder to push the sideshift across, then switch the locks back on. Where I bought it there was standard SK with a yellow cab, but I have seen the brown ones here too. This unit is a 1995 'Servopower' model, made in France and was ex Government [Qld Rail]. One thing I noticed today after $409 USD of seals is that there isn't a pool of oil under the swing tower - nice not to have to constantly feed the hydraulics. Cheers! Oh, this pic is the one I didn't buy, a '94 after a hard life near the sea, has the yellow cab.
Nice Equipment :beatsme
Handtpipeline; I have noticed all your back/hoes have centre mounts and most of europe and Australia has side shift for digging agianst building,fences,boundrys etc, And as well as what AU.CASE said, you can also on the new back/hoes have full hydralic side shift just push the lever and it goes each way Cheers Leroy
is the ride control system an extra on cat backhoes??? dont quote me but on most of the komatsu backhoes i have delivered ride control comes standard, they just call it something totally different to ride control.
Yes, I'd say that one had a Very hard life... What does "Servopower" model stand for? I bought my Super L new in April of '95, so that might be why yours has the gray cab, since they had already switched to the next model here??? I got lucky with my Super L, it would overheat running the A/C on 100 degree days, and the brakes would sometimes fade a bit. In late '95, the Priority Swing Valve went bad under warranty, and when I went to pick it up, it had basically been upgraded to a series 2 (that's the way the service manager explained it to me), with a new hood with the perforated side panels, and different brake pedals. That was the obvious signs that something was changed, I don't know exactly what was changed, but I do know it never overheated again, and the brakes worked excellent afterwards. I was told it was almost $8,000 worth of "upgrades", and it didn't cost me a dime.
Series 2 L had a few different curves in the frame, diff lock was changed from a pedal to a button on the loader lever, different loader lever, few more hp, eye hook added on the hoe linkage,and maybe a few other things.
I never had a Series 2, so I didn't really know what the differences were. I think they bumped the power up a little, it seemed stouter when I got it back, especially when roading it in hills. He said they put a different radiator in it, but I don't know if they did or just changed the hood side panels to allow more airflow. The brakes worked better, and were more responsive when I got it back. That was a good machine. The only issues I ever had with it after the upgrades were and injection pump, and turbo (both after 4500 hours), right kingpins twice, (2 wheel drive machine) boom, bucket and crowd cylinders rebuilt once, I can think of changing about 5 hydraulic hoses, and some kind of pump went out in the transmission once (I had Case fix that, and don't remember exactly what it was, it was about $2500 to fix) All in all, for 14 years of use, I don't think that's too bad really. We dug a lot of ditch, and a LOT of rock ditch with it. It would still out-dig our 2007 model 580 M when we traded it in. It was comparable to the Super M in power, and somwhat in speed still. But it didn't have ride control, 4 wheel drive, extendahoe or pilot controls like my Super M does. It would still rip the shanks off of a bucket if you let the wrong person run it though...
Well, Here is my backhoe. It's a little small but a good worker. I have installed 2,000 gal. grease traps with it in some tight places and it's great for storm drains, sewer services, and street-scaping in town where there's not much room.
How deep does that little orange machine dig? :usa
9 feet
Wow. Pretty good, eh. :usa
Those litttle Kubotas are great for landscaping and home maintenance.
I'm sure, the people who have them seem to think so. I'm a fan of the smaller equipment. But after running a Kubota once decided "not for me". I have a PC30 Komatsu and a EX55 Hitachi. As for loaders, Case and Cat for me. :usa
handtpipeline was it the charge pump? 95 L's were common for that.
I don't just dig for a living as most of you do. I build condos, build-outs for retail spaces and underground utilitys on the side. My machine is outstanding for the work I do. I think you can appreciate that.
I believe it was. Something else I had forgotten about, was the lift pump. That thing ate lift pumps worse than anything I ever owned. At least one a year, and I remember changing it 3 times one year. I think that's actually what killed the injection pump, I had some morons running it, that I didn't know they only way they could get it to start was on ether. After you got it started, it ran ok, but if it sat any amount of time, it would drain back. I usually would just pump the little lever on it, and get it started to finish out the day, then change the pump the next morning. I think they ran it with the bad pump for about 3 weeks while I was out of town one time.
Yes, Party on brother... Didn't mean to rain on your parade. Just throwing in my own thoughts. :usa
Wall yer a little outta the way fer me. Too much on the travel side. :usa
Here are my backhoes, 436 Cat, and 590 Case, both have 4X4, extendahoe and heated cabs. Love them in the winter. :usa
My Cat 416 has to have spacers in order to use chains on the rear wheels. I assume the 436 is the same. That 590 looks pretty tight on the fenders. Do they require spacers as well?
No spacers on either machine. But with heavy lug tires probably would need them.
Been there done that, never again. :usa _________________________________ We have everything for JCB http://www.bh-parts.com View attachment 69936 [/QUOTE]
I am The more I work her the more I love her...and everybody else just loves the jobs that I do and how fast I can do them...
Here's some pictures of the old girl. I finally got some digital photos so I thought I would post them here. I've had her since new, and she still hides her age well. She still works like a champ too. This backhoe has proved to be an excellent purchase. She mostly sits on the bench now but she will step up to the plate, and get the job done, whenever I ask. I can't think of a single time she has let me down. I hope you enjoy the pics, and let me know what you think.
nice cat clean for her age
Nice pictures! What is the attachment on the hoe in place of the bucket? John
that my friend is a trench compactor nick........
Yup, I hear that a lot with My Takeuchi TB25. Normally they also add, "you know, those parts havn't been made in...." (I cuth them off) "Yea, I know, in many years".... B-(
Sorry for the delayed response time. I still don't get e-mail notifications for subscribed threads. Thanks. I bet you can't guess how many hours are on that backhoe. It's a compaction wheel. That one is made by Entek (bought out by Rockland). It's an 18" wide pad foot unit.
il guess but id say around the 6000 area if its got more then credit is due to you as looking after machines is the best policy and get a heck of a lot more noticeable as a contractor
That's a fair guess but not accurate. This machine was used exclusively everyday up until I moved to CO. I moved to CO ten years ago and the unit had over 5,000 hours on it then. I have a Polaroid photo and the hoe still looked new at that time. It is not used nearly as much as it used to be. She does not get the attention that she used to, when she was the only machine I owned, so the paint is not holding up so good anymore. The previous photos (taken in December) do not show it very well but she is starting to show her age a bit now. I have had to replace the brakes 2x and I replaced the hydraulic pump last summer. The pump had not given out but I felt as though she was getting a little weak on the lift circuit of the loader. The new pump has things working tip top again. Those are some pretty good clues. One more guess and I'll reveal my secret.
im going to say 9000 hrs on her the same here really cant really look after them spot on as ive got other equipment to
SMU reads over 12,000 hours. This has been a really good machine. She's a little sluggish to start when it's cold out but I can't fault her for it.
Thats about 600,000 miles @ 60 mph.
Hi everybody, New member here but looking forward to participating and learning. I have been eyeing this 67' Ford 4500, for five of the last 10 years, it has been sitting in a barn. My patience payed off as it is now MINE. Needs a little work, but still has more the enough potential. http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5107/5674531036_bb5d5ed3f2_b.jpg
[video=youtube;0HkdW7j1JPo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HkdW7j1JPo[/video] mmy dad on the e digging out a swamp pit we loaded with fill to firm it up 4 stick or nothin!
Nice video. He makes it look pretty easy.
The link below is my 15 year old son digging out stumps last year with our old Case 580C http://www.youtube.com/user/AmericanPatriot930#p/u/23/NtLWdVyxRMc
Hi everyone, this is the CAT I'm using the most. I'm pretty sure its a 416C. It's probably got well over 10,000 hours on it.
I still think there should be more of a choice for sideshift backhoes in usa/canada
I think we are so use to centermount machines over here and the fact its never really caught on, it prob never will.
Hey... also picked up a 73 580b... needed new front tires... and spindles/bearings up front. No lights, needs a complete rewire. Door was welded to upper frame... badly ... needs to be cut loose & properly positioned. Also need to weld up cracks in loader, lots of hydraulic fluid leaking from arms. Have considered replacing loader entirely... you don't know which... if any ... loaders from other Case units would be compatible? This would be a "Phil" question, but I notice he's been pretty quiet lately. You're in Eastern Ontario? Any hints about tractor junkyards out this way... I'm north of Belleville.
its kind of funny really ive tried leaving my bl71 sideshift in the centre and tried trenching but ended up needing a lot more room maybe the fact still remains that there is alot more room to be had out there than here in that respect i was loading a few trucks the other day left the clamp (as we call it) in the centre and i was ok with it just the fact when digging on services and trenching the only way successful is to put the machine on an angle the excellence is with sideshift you can leave the machine in the same place and dig nice square holes out. The question is it easy to get a sideshift or probably youd have to wait a long time for one to get shipped over there
With only one period like that you need to be careful where you use it.It should go at the end so we know when to stop reading.Ron G
I see sideshift hoes around once in a while. Very seldom. Ive at the very least played around with a 580G once at a dealer. Never had the chance to run a sideshift hoe on the job. Ive been on plenty of tight city streets, stuffed in a small back yards, up against walls, you name it. Alot of creativity on how to set up and dig. Different angles, digging with out the stabilizers, w/e it takes. I kinda feel like a side shift hoe wouldnt be balanced as well as a centermount. Than again I could be wrong?
With respect to the side-shift hoes, back on the farm in Canada we had a 580c center-mount, now in Europe my dad has a 580k side-shift both have their advantages, the side-shift gives more flexibility along walls or corners, stability is not as bad as i woulda thought. my only problem with the side-shift is the stabilizers dont keep you in place as good as the center-mounts, especially in the soft stuff. center-mount stabs dig deeper and are geometrically well oriented to keep the machine on one spot. the side-shifts get pulled around alot in soft terrain. i would say its down to job specification.
Speaking of our "new" side-shift case 580k here's some pics and testing in the yard. Nothing real fancy, i cant find any kind of number plate on it at all, but from what ive already read from other posts here on HEF is that it has the Carraro rear transaxle, its 4x4 but non turbo, has 4790hours on the dial but im assuming that its 14790hours thus probably due for a check over, since we've had it ive put about 8hours seat time on it moving manure and carving some paths for the tractors. well once back on the farm im gonna have to get a closer look at it and change the oils maybe just gotta wait for the manual to download... VIDEOS: http://s1113.photobucket.com/albums/k506/funkinalive/?action=view¤t=MVI_4098.mp4 http://s1113.photobucket.com/albums/k506/funkinalive/?action=view¤t=MVI_4099.mp4
I also think than with a side-shift you can move around tight spaces more easily. Nice looking K you have. Was it repainted ?
Yes definitely, maybe even twice lol. you can see all kinds of different color schemes on it. another thing about the side-shift ive forgot to mention is that you can "tuck in" the backhoe for transport like in the final pic, shifting weight forward or "over center" so it doesn't bobble as much on the road as a center-mount.
Nice lookin 416c. I've got one and have been very happy with it. It is 4wd with an extenda hoe and a 4n1 bucket. It is a very versatile machine. Post more pics of your machine if you have them.
yes id prefer sideshift even on hills we sometimes go across land hills and we would move the sideshift to the top end to counter balance weight and also extend the arm out too makes life a bit easier to see my main concern is how can you trench all day with the boom in the middle ? Ive been on machines now for a few years and bought up on backhoes but still puzzles me im used to a sideshift and leave the clamp as we call it on one side
Since the tittle is Pictures of your Backhoe, here is my 1992 JD 310D. Rebuilt and painted cab and revamped back window last fall. Converted extendahoe to nylon pads instead of metal strips. Planing to repaint yellow this fall.
thats not a bad machine we dont have them in uk though
First Blood, er... bucket 1973 580B - bought this baby a little while ago and just got it back from the shop. Took my first bite of Mother Earth and it felt damn good. The hoe has some slop, but this machine has obviously been around the block a few times. Anyway, it's a work in progress... new rubber up front, new spindles & bearings, new tie rod. Had to weld up some loader arm leaks and replace the stabiliser hoses to avoid my own little Exxon Valdez in the driveway. Think there's also a crack inside a loader bushing, but I'll wait a little before yanking loader to check it out. What it needs right now while I have the floor plates out... is a real cleaning. I've scraped off all the gunk I could, but I think it needs pressure washing or steam cleaning. Suggestions? Any susceptible areas I should keep the water away from? Gonna look at pressure washers tomorrow. Anybody know what detergent or degreaser would do the trick here?
That machine looks pretty good for its age so I guess you have to expect some 'dosh' to go out on repairs, that's ½ the fun? With the pressure cleaners' I finally have a little Talon unit from an eBay seller, it is pretty amazing at blowing stuff all over me. No seriously it does a good job, today I cleaned the triple radiators really well on my 580SK, there must have been ½ a cup of junk, gravel and grass in there that the compressed air just would not budge. Underneath I am not keen to spray high pressure water into electrical connections and leaking seals before they are replaced as it might wet a bearing or housing in an unplanned way. If there is new sealing everywhere and the machine is run to 'dry out' after the clean it doesn't matter as much. Sure is important to keep the dirt at bay, my machine has been away fencing on our Station (ranch) for a couple of months and it has been dry so there is a fair bit of dirt back inside that I might get this little cleaner onto before I change the two major oil systems soon. This is how the oil cooler radiator looked when I moved out the A/C condenser and now it is raining so the bucket is going to be stuck in the air for a while longer so I can paint that bonnet in enamel. :cool2
Here's my 1980 555. 3500 hours, x-hoe.
1981 case 580F 4x4 only 3700hrs case 580f with only 3700hrs genuine from new
case 580f 4x4 1981 case 580f 4x4
CASE 580L 4x4 open cab standard loader and hoe.
Was it big job to convert your extendahoe to the nylon shims?
Yes it was. I own welding and milling equipment and I've done a lot of tool manufacturing in the past. Probably not an easy job if you don't have machining experience of some sort. Depending on your machine, it could be easier than mine. The big problem with mine is that the space between the inner stick and the outer stick was less than the thickness of the nylon (.75" nylon). What make & model do you have and how thick are the steel slides?
http://mail.aol.com/34062-111/aol-6...dMail&partId=1&saveAs=2011-08-26_15.48.56.jpg Hopefully it will open.If it doesn't please let me know and I'll go get my much more technologically advanced wifey.It's getting some altitude adjustment from Irene's flooding possibility---all for nothing I believe--hopefully I'm right.
nope, says I got to log into AOL
Love this type of thread. Lots of pics of all types of machines
my $1500.00580 sk Here's pictures of my 1993 580SK backhoe that I got for $1500 (Long story).
my $1500.00 580sk here's some pic's of my 1993 580sk 4x4 xtndahoe only pd $1500.00(long story)
All right how does one come by a machine like that for so little dollar??
my 580sl with fresh paint
how much time do you have ?. it was stolen in 1998 & recovered in 2009 after 11 years. it was found in a junk yard .poor thing had a hard life . i guess when you don't pay for somthing it dosen't matter.i bought it from the insurance companey for cost of towing & storage . was a sight for sore eyes filthy dirty ,flat tire ,stableizers down ,extendahoe out,and a rod through the block.kick my a!@# $%s no pic's .chapter#2!! found a good used motor for $3000.00 with 5 k hrs, 2 rear tire's 75% $200.00 various hoses lights and things .so far total investment 6~6500.00.oh since it was in hideing no road running or salt = next to no rust.nice talking at ya tb
Yes tevor b - we all like to hear this type of story ... opcorn
I had a call from a fellow, couple of weeks back, asking about what oils to put in his 580SLE. I asked a few more questions & he had also just purchased it as an insurance write off. Been laying on it's side for a couple of weeks! Broken side glass & windscreen; pulled injectors to be sure of no oil above pistons; topped all oils; new battery; & thank your mother for the apples :yup Paid $5000 for it ........... here you can get $35000 tomorrow for it :yup......... why am I never blessed like that :beatsme
chapter#3 just right place right time .i just happened to stop in at the tow yard to shoot the s;;t and they were on the phone with the insurance companey . they were going to have to tow it to toronto about 4.5 hour's away and they did not want to spend more money on it.so i made offer on it and the rest is history. p/s had it 3 months before wife found out . morel of the story is far esay'r to seek forgiveness than ask permission haha.tb
Just damn! :Banghead
T'is better to be born lucky than rich
it aint mine but i treat her like she is
19?? Case 680CK B took a while to get to this point - still have some mechanical issues to address. Before pix are here
1 more ...
http://mail.aol.com/34062-111/aol-6...dMail&partId=1&saveAs=2011-08-26_15.48.56.jpg
Mike the 680 looks good!
Can't see it, Tuney. I'm not an AOL member.
Thanks JS580SL - fortunately I have an understanding wife, as that took quite a few hours. tuney443, I can't open your link either.
nice job on 680 Mike hope. hope i can get as good a job when its time for my 580.tb
Thanx Trevor. I wish a had THAT machine to start with - esp. for that amount of $$. The ole 680 will do nicely for what I need her for though.
Mike, That 680 looks really nice, great job!! I have to ask, did you paint it yourself?? If so how was the the prep to do? I need to paint a 580b before long.... Dave
yep painted her myself. Also, new fenders were fabricated from a used 200 gallon oil-furnace tank. The 1 tool I didn't use, but should have was a sand blaster. I spent about 1 month prepping for paint on mostly weekends and an hr. or 2 the odd evening. I bought an arm load of aerosol degreasers & a few jugs of varsol to degrease it. The prep work was done by wire wheels on grinders, some sandpaper - but mostly a turbo-jet nozzle on a 2200 p.s.i. pressure washer. That really peeled most of the loose(ish) stuff off. I could have spent more time prepping, but the biggest pain in the butt-ocks was my decision to paint the cab a different color - ie. painted yellow inside, then blue outside - then the rest of tractor yellow. Despite many hours masking, I spent a phenomenal amount of time fixing up overspray. BTW there's much overspray on the tires in the pics as I plan to change them soon. good luck with the 580B even though it's a bit smaller than this beast, you'll undoubtedly be surprised at how much surface there really is to prep and paint.
Mike, I can understand, I have rebuilt several older machines and they are always bigger than I think. As far as the sandblaster, they can make more mess than they are worth really. It sounds like a good idea, but can cause real issues with both your paint, sheet metal, and then operation after the fact. Dave
have no idea how to send photos to this site?
thanks for the post-ill try my luck with the picture-
See here -
Take a look at this thread -
my new freind hers my 580B justy after i pulled it out of my muddy field. had to drain the torque tuble and refill with fresh oil to get it to move -ive changed all the fluids and filters- amazing difference!think we are going to be freinds!
truckerx the old girl shur look's good dosen't look abused tb.
Truckerx - Does look good - first time I have noticed engine side covers on a B! :thumbsup
thanks- i think it was pretty much overhauled 8 years ago- then it sat in the woods seldom used for several years-im giving her some Tlc and hope she makes a good backyard tracter-she my first - this forum has been and incredible help!
thanks alrman- the guy i got it from was very meticulous-took the whole tractor apart - im stunned at how smooth it runs with new filters and fresh oil- this forum showed me so many good pointers- hopefully i can help others as my experience broadens - very fortunate to have found this forum-thanks
thanks cm1995! it worked!
i have to agree!. great group of guy's vast wealth of info . it's a pleasure reading and talking to ya's TB
truckerx, she's lovely! I realy wanted to buy a B but my boss wouldn't part with it.
nice wood
3200 hrs yard machine my boss likes 8000 hrs Case SL still working every day
remember my C with fondness
580 se project This has been my project for the past 2 years runs like new and finaly no leaks . Just got to tweak the electrical . Need to do a little bit more work on the cab
Bill, Amazing job on that Case! You cant beat that Cummins!
Thanks Hammerdwn .Ya the Cummins is a great motor I started my career with case 580 b ck / 310 Jd /580 c / 580 d / and now the 580 se .I am not sure but I think case dropped the Cummins engine line for an over seas engine .Its hard to tell who makes what anymore .This machine has 9000hrs on it and it will start in a fairly cold snowy day without any help . But in extreme cold she grunts and might need a little sniff. The old girl still has the original seat .I will try to find some photos of it . I just figured out how to add photos to this site regards Bill
I have never seen a 580 that didn't leak.Congratulations!!Ron G
Nice looking 580E. I prefered the Es over the Ks. Case is no longer using the Cummins engine. I believe it's now made by Iveco. Someone on this site has made positive comments about the new powerplant. I think it was even in this thread. Look back through and locate some posts regarding a new 580N.
Nice E, looks great. That was me about the Super N. Its got an Iveco now. I ran a Super L last sunday and still miss them. Heard of another sub from the company we work for just traded his L in with 15,000hrs all original components.
Case 480E case 480E I just picked up
nice looking 480 TB
Massey HX 50 Just sold this old girl.
cant post a pix...uggh how? I now own this 580 series2 superL. I was surprised, 6k hours and I picked it up private sale, 18k dollars. I changed out brake lines...painted to stop damned rust on doors..and around rear window. Luv my hoe!
Super Willie's Wise Ways of Wrangling electronic Witchcraft for Wannabe Wrenches here -> (say that 3 times as fast as you can!)
I finally took a pic... My ole 'B'... Unloading the 3 point hitch I picked up this weekend... Dave
backhoes My machine's a 06 580 super m with 4700hrs on it. I wish I could post but I don;t know how to because I'm a new memeber I have photos of it but I need to know how to post them Let me know, Thanks Oz 06' 580 sm pilots
For info. on how to post a picture read this. Two excellent guides. .
Pics of my backhoes Hello here are some pics of my backhoes. One is a JCB 4CX 1995 and the little one is a Venieri 133 2004, both are 4 wheel steer. mjt
I hope this works, here is a picture of my new 530 CK the serial number says it's a 1966.
Just got a 2001 Deere 410G Edit: Once I figure out how to turn on IMG code will upload better pics.
I took a few of my '97 580L being loaded up to go to a job .
50l Hey Nice float and backhoe you have there. Does it have ride control? How do you like it? Is it 4 stick or 2?
Backhoe grading Hello Here is my Venieri 133 backhoe grading a drive. mjt
No ride control but it does have the 2 stick it's a nice machine just wish it was and SL sometimes more power would be nice. this was set up to be a road machine and has the cold weather option
580 l That's good. I know what you mean by more power. It's nice to have. I love ride control though wouldn't buy a machine without it. I also find that the 2 stick doesn't have enough power to move the machine form side to side with the boom. I find the 4 stick and the pilot controls and best for that. Oh well as long as you like your machine that's all that counts.
Just got it on saturday. After we got it home I spent over an hour powerwashing it, and it could use more. This was a photo from the ad.
newness owner operator at work got this last week ,to replace the 3 week old one that had brake problems from day 1 and he returned it after having no confidence in the machine ,as we do a fair amount of road work and the last thing you want is questionable brakes it has yet to have any of the newness worn off of it ,unlike my proper machine next to it cheers graham
Our new to us spare hoe. 2004 Super M Series 2 with 4x4, extendahoe, cab/heat/ac, ride control, front quick coupler. Just over 4000 hours on it.
case backhoes Hey Really nice machine you have there. Mines identical. Is it a 4 stick? How do you like it?
580 l Nice machine you sthomps. How many hours on it? what yr? ride control? is it a 4 stick?
No it has pilot controls. We would of rather had the 4 stick, but it was too good of an offer to pass up and we really needed a spare.
Ours is a 2000 4 stick, with no ride control and 6900hrs. Quite a bit different then the old ** 40 we have. It uses 4 sticks too so it is going to take some time to learn the new pattern( it's backwards). I find learning the new loader with the one stick easier to changeover because it's different. Do others find it easier to switch from a 4 stick to pilot or wobble easier then another 4 stick?
case 580sm what's your companey name ? i was raised in richmond . you can read my story p/g 36 tb
case backhoes My company's name is southpaw property maintenance. We use our case for just property maintenance and construction. My machine has pilots and ride control and I wouldn't want a machine without it. I hope to have 2 backhoes someday rather then sharing the one all the time.
cool all pics are nice hoes are the most versatle tool
Picture of Venieri Backhoe cleaning up weeds in a waterway. Picture of Venieri Backhoe cleaning up weeds in a waterway. MJT
does that veneri machine steer by turning wheels or is it skid steer nick....
Venieri Backhoe Hello The machine has 4 wheel steering, outside turning radius is 2.56m The width is 1.35m. MJT amyliveshere does that veneri machine steer by turning wheels or is it skid steer nick....
Here's my 87' I just picked up on Friday. I wanted a tractor for around our little hobby farm and I figured I'd get more use out of a backhoe then a reg farm tractor. This is my 1st tractor so I have a fair bit of learning to do. It needs abit of TLC but should serve me well.
my baby View attachment 86576 View attachment 86577 View attachment 86578 I'm in the cab of the one that right in front of the fire trying to control it. Thank you Tinkerer for your help in 39th thread, appreciate it very much, enjoy everyone
Again, getting used to the pictures posting, what a rookie I am
Hey Case 580sm are you out buy Bells Corner and North gower?
You are welcome Case580 sm. Nice pictures and nice machine !!
Here's my new to me 580 Super E. Currently, she leaks all over, but not for long.
'' the work in progress'' I'm out by richmond, that where the shop is, and usually most of are work is, but we float our machine places if the job is worth doing, or because of a long time customer. I've usually worked with the backhoe downtown, everywhere else is local like, munster, richmond, stittsville, manotick, and ashton, and other palces worth going to. My brother runs, and owns the company, and my dad is the operator, / foreman/estimator and I usually operate the backhoe because he usually on other sites, or estimating something else, but he sure does like to kick me out of the machine when he gets there because he has +40 yrs experience with backhoes and he doesn't want to let go anytime soon, and I wouldn't either. I continue to be the backhoe operator, and someday hope to work for a bigger company, that owns case backhoes because the company that my brother runs now, if I were to retire someday all those yrs working with him, and dad, I wouldn't get dental, and health beneifits, and all that other stuff you can get that bigger companys offer, like Thomas Cavanagh, or Tomlinson Construction.
cheers Thanks tinkerer, also for the comments I love her and she least me, another 5 to 7yrs tops, then I'll get into the super n series 2 or the super m series 3. Just oil sprayed her today, and going to jr brisson in vars to get stuff for her and keep her in top working order. I'll oil spray everywhere in the cab in the spring time because since my dad got it last august it was never sprayed. I'll be sure to post more picks with me snowplowing with it in the commercial parking lots, this winter with the 10ft protech pusher gate on it, thanks again everyone
one of the worst aspects of the 3c was the brakes, ok round a site but beware on the road!
case 580sm what's your last name if you don't mind me asking tb.
Couple of machines Greetings, A newbie here at the forum and boy am I impressed! This site is well organized with very helpful information for all. I've got a couple of machine sthat I'm "restoring"/using to do projects at home with the goal of doing some part time work with them.
Welcome to the Forums Effinay!:drinkup Down south we have a City of Pelham too, just up the road.
my last name is brown, trevor b
Does this count, I know it's not a full size TLB, but it's my TLB. David
Guess I don't know how too upload pic's. Could A Mod delete this and my previous post? thanks. David
I guess it counts.....It must really really really be small small small cause I can't see it.
Just funning with ya.....I got a case of whine for Christmas. Marry Christmast everyotone
Just tell them what it is David.I like the looks of it,makes me want to climb aboard. I can't send pictures either after all that I have posted over the years since they changed the board configuration. I tried once and it was such a hassle that I just gave it up.I don't have problems with any other site but you do what ya gotta do I guess.You will have fun in the spring I am sure ) Ron G
Thanks RonG, It's a Kubota M59 TLB. Just bought it New 12/03, it's a pleasure to run compared to the JD tractor with a backhoe I have been using. You can see it and spec's. here http://www.kubota.com/product/M59/M59.aspx David
I'd rather not delete the post since there are following comments that reference the post, would break up continuity of thread. However, I can offer a link to posting pictures that might help you post a pic of your machine.
My first Backhoe Bear with me as I'm a nnnew guy and a little nnnnervous....1980's (ish) TLB480. Sold to me as a New Holland product, but come to find out it was assembled by a company that was known as "The General Inc." , Witchita, KS. Ooops! Sorry. Need to resize pics before I can shoe 'em to ya'. I'll be back....
My Backhoe Lemme try this again....
nifty looking machine tell us more tb
getting the rear axles warmed up. Warming up the rear axles, before snowplowing with the super m.
Hey tb thanks for asking. This is an articulated machine which gives it great maneuverability, weighs in at about 7K pounds, powered by a six cylinder Arrow diesel. Front bucket is a little over 6', with the rear bucket at measuring in at 24". It rolls around on 4 "flotation" style tires which I really like as they seem to minimize the damage that the stock 16" tires would likely cause with a machine of this weight. Furthermore, being articulated enables me to maneuver in tight spots and not grind up the property like a skid steer might. As a loader, it seems a little clumsy and slow, but turn the seat around and set the outriggers and it digs like crazy! Like any combination machine, there always seems to be some compromises in one feature or another. For a first machine I think I've made a decent selection and am happy with it overall. Pins and bushings on the backhoe are in serious need of overhaul, and I'm hoping to get at all this over the winter.
handy sounding machine what;s something like that go for? if you don;t mind never seen one before tb.
Wow, great looking Super E and "no leaks", I'm so jealous. lol
I have no idea what the actual valur to purchase a machine of this type. I've seen those mini/midi rental type machines selling used for 8-10 grand. And most of them were straight jobs and only 2 wheel drive. I found this machine on Craigslist and got it home for $5,500. I tell this to everybody I know: When I die, don't let my wife sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it........
Hey there rb, how did you get to have your avatar? Seems we may have joined at about the same time and I haven't received permission to do so. Did you need to ask permission from a moderator?
just go to your control panel and add one............not too difficult..............
hey effinay sweet deal ! you can read about my sweet deal on pg 36 buy the way what type of work do you do? trevor b.
Greetings, A newbie here at the forum and boy am I impressed! I wish I could found this site earlier. Alot of helpful info here. Have get the camera out a take a few pics.
Some great stories and machines in this thread ,there's one thing i have to ask ... why are all the backhoes on here configured the way they are ,ie...the backhoe in the middle and the long outriggers , must be awkward in a construction site/housing site ,especially if you have to dig a track hard up against a wall/house . .You maybe thinking the same about our machines here in Europe lol .
Welcome to the forum jacob64! I think the side shift's are a very slick idea. Somewhere on this forum or maybe in this thread, members have pointed out some goods and bads about each configuration.
I have this same machine and so far I have replaced the engine and she operates perfectly. I just blew out a hydrolic hose for the back hoe and can't seem to find away to get the line out. Do you know if it requires a special tool? If not it looks like I will have to seperate all the lines to get to the one I need to fix. Thanks,
Not sure why, but the side shift doesn't seem as popular here in the states. Seems like a pretty good idea.
Here’s a picture someone sent me in an email. I think there is a safer way to stay out of the sun. Ron
after reading the tutorial on resizing and uploading pics , i figure ill just drive it to everyones house so the can look at my machine . this way it will be quicker for me and i might get a couple of beers out of it too!!!!!
You are a funny dude! You think that's something, wait till you try to make an avatar.......
nitro your welcome any time if your in the ottawa area.but this time of year how about a hot choclate tb
You can start by coming over my house since im only 20 minutes away in Piscataway nj
allright , **** cat away is first on my list then up towards otter lake just north of ottawa . i wonder if i could bring the 580 or the rev 800 to that nice bar in maniwaki across from the skidoo dealer
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/yassen-te/m_54c16983a79fdbb6aa0af079faf47c711.jpg http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/yassen-te/IMG_0554.jpg Hello everyone! I'm from Bulgaria (East Europe).Nice to be part of your community. This is my lovely backhoe CASE 580 SLE,MY 2001.I bought seven years before from Germany (second hand). It was 2398h.,now-around 6900h.It is nice machine with original turbo charged Cummins engine(91hp),fortunately !And I'm so proud with! Best regards from me!
nice to meet you Yassen,your machine looks good
I am new to this site and just thought I would post a few pics of my new to me John Deere 410C backhoe.
JCB are excellent work horses
Great looking hoe Brian! Congratulations on the new addition, really nice that you got it loaded with all the options, 4in1, extendahoe, 4x4. One heck of a machine there!
Picture of my 1983 JD 410 and my oldest son.
My dad bought her new in 70 JD 500A, I spent the better part of The 90's doing my chores with her. 6years ago the tranmission went south on my dad. I will get her going a again some day but for now we have a 310.
Just bought my first backhoe. A 1986 Case 580 Super E, 3000 hours, 4wd, A/C, Heat, Extendahoe. Hate to brag but she is a beauty!
A fine example what hours are on it??
very nice machine what was the cost if you don't mind tks tb
Thank you. A little over 3,000. Is that low or high (since this is my first I have no real sense of what is normal)?
I got an incredible deal on it, for I bought it from a guy who I've worked for over 12 years. I'd rather not say the price here, but if you want I'll PM it to you.
Heres mine NH 575E made front quick hitch for it and also has the hoe quick hitch have a video of bucket to forks using quick hitch i'll post when uploaded
That's low hours, especially if you consider the age. I have a 1997 unit that has over 12,000 hours. If you take care of it, and it was not abused by previous owners or operators, you should get at least 7-9K hours. Hoses and seals will probably be the first thing to start causing you problems. If you can put up with that it should serve you for a long time.
I am partial to Case hoes, as many may know - but there is just something aesthetically pleasing about the shape of the 580SE with an air cab :thumbsup
You're absolutely right, the gentleman I bought it from hadn't used it in a couple of years, and three of the cylinders are leaking . I just ordered cylinder seal kits and bushings, other than that, it seems to be running fine.
hay anbros you go ahead and brag you have every right . that's one smoking hot machine. no prob on the price just curious & jealous. i'd be more proud of it than my first born. you can check out mine p/g36 #526 not quite as nice but rome wasent built in a day. working on a dissabilty penson we will get paint some day. nice talking to ya tb
Here is a picture of my first backhoe. I had been using the neighbors 555 B ford and this 580K is a whole lot more machine. I have some fixing to do to it but it is not new either. The biggest problem is three leaky cylinders on the hoe that I am getting resealed and a leaky diesel fuel tank that I am working on replacing if I can find an later model tank. So far I like it and will probably like it more once I get it working better. I need to find a 4 in 1 bucket for the front sometime and I think it will run a long time yet.
Hm,very strange model I see for the very first time...Is it the original cabin,or it is compilation of "G" and "K" model?
Yassen, It has a Simms cab on it instead of a case cab so it does look a little different. Seems to be a roomy cab. I think Simms made cabs for these loaders when they were built. It has a good heater, but no air and it has a broken rear window, so I need to get that fixed sometime.
Nice hoe Alrman, had the same machine. Was a 86' and when I traded it in , it had 5000hrs on it. Great machine was a 4 stick. I've gotten used to the pilots on my super m live it. Hope you have good luck with it
Just for the record case 580sm - I don't own a hoe I was just making a statement & using a picture belonging to AnBros...... I always tell people " I don't break them, only fix them"
Allis 715B Backhoe Could anyone tell me whats the Transmission fluid capacity of my Allis 715B Backhoe and the location of the drain plug? Last night I began to drain the Transmission from what looks like the Drain plug, but I got a very dark "Oil colored" fluid. I know it wasent moter oil, and I know it wasent gear oil. I am thinking it could be hydrolic fluid. It had the consistancy of transmission fluid (a little less viscous then hydrolic fluid) It dident smell or taste like transmission fluid though. Could this just be very very old trans fluid. I know I have old fluid and it has some water in it because in cold weather the tractor will not move do to the water freezing i guess. The reason why I thought / think thats the correct drain plug, is because i followed the dipstic - filler tube down, and that plug is on a small box on the transmission directly below it.
Continue to drain that fluid until you have about a gallon out. Then pull and check the dipstick you were looking at.
You have a nice "family"!
Here's a few of mine,,
Nice pics, Emerson you happy with your hoe? case 580sm
I've only had it for 6months but I like it!!..I've only really used it for snow removal so far so the real fun/test is ahead. It needs a little TLC so it'll be a work in progress..
Nice backhoe,Emerson.My first was the same-580 Super K,but side shift version.It was excellent machine,today a friend of mine own it,there is around 15000 hours!Did you have ever some difficulty because of the 2WD?
Mines actually 4wd.. I couldn't imagine having a 2wd tractor.. I've already got stuck 3 times on my property.
Here's some pics of this winters big project with the backhoe. Without it I would have been in alot of trouble. I was replacing the axle on my wood splitter when it fell off the jackstands..
here she is!! what a beauty eh!!
how did you make out with the manuals trevor b?
Nice machine, hope it lasts you, I had a 86' 580e, and just traded it 2 yrs ago. Miss it but love my new super m. All the best, case 580sm
ordered maunal, should be here soon, thanks machine runs clean case 580sm.... great! issue now is leaking from hoe controls so boom drops.... annoying.
can you be more specific on exactly where the hydraulic is leaking from? Thanks
it drips off the bottom of the backhoe control valve generally. no where spcifically that i've noticed yet, but i've been working on electrical stuff lately (see threads.... console alarm, and charging problems).
if the control valves are similar on your machine as they are on a JCB, it looks to me as if you have some damaged O rings on one or more valves.I see you have mentioned the boom dropping so that valve block is where to look first, obviously.Before buying O rings from the machine supplier, ask a general engineering warehouse if they stock same size and thickness rings, much cheaper bought this way
ya, it's just the boom dropping, everything else is solid, and holds well. are those orings a big deal to change? i don't mind topping up oil every now and again, but the boom dropping makes it harder to control the hoe, and it's really annoying.
like most maintenance jobs on any machine, if you know what you are doing, it is simple.When you get your manual there should be an exploded view of the O ring assembley, Follow instructions and keep everything spotlessly clean and you should be ok.
Adolphous, The boom dropping and the backhoe spool leaking most likely have nothing to do with each other. The are several issues that let cylinders bleed down, leaks being one of them. But I think that if you have a leak large enough to let the boom bleed down, that would be a large quantity of oil lost. My bet would be on the cylinder packing, or spool load checks, in that order. Your newly obtained service manual will have procedures to check for packing bleed. Others may disagree, thats my 2 cents... Need to start a new thread on that one... HTH Dave
my 580 se shes rough but she works good
"Current BHL, -05 Case 695 SR1 some 4000 hour on it. Bought as a used. Works well. Engcon tiltrotator with proportional controls on the backhoe and multipurpose bucket (4-in-1) in loader. Has also twin controls so you can drive it facing reverse." hempo23, nice looking machine. Do you have any pictures of the joysticks and how the Engcon set up works? Across the pond in Maine there is a few rototilts around on rubber tire excavator's but I've only seen a handful of pics(including your's) with one mounted on a loader backhoe. I've run a Cat 416C with a tilting clean-up bucket and thought that was great but I can see where the tiltrotator set up would be awesome on a backhoe. Also, do you still get the hydrolic quick coupler to change buckets like the larger ones?
Thanks Dave, the hoe end of the machine has hydraulic leaks and bleeding problems generally. i can describe no problem, but should do so in a new thread, agree. how to link with this i don't know.
Pete Did you catch the person who broke all the glass? and such a lovely machine as well...............
ill have to get some pics of the 426 cat its a older model runs great, but wont register oil pressure. any ideas? For some reason i cant figure out how to post a new thread only reply, can someone help me there too? Thanks Taylor
Its days like today that make me want to shout, "I love my job". I usually end up keeping my comments to myself :cool2
You must get more posts before you can start your own thread. Take a look at the forum rules or FAQs.
I'm not good with pictures yet, but I am proud of my old Case 480F LL. My old International Harvesters 260A, 3400A and my old Kubota L185.
Picts of my oldies I just enjoy useing my oldies around my place. Most gauges on them don't work, that will be another future project.
Here is the 710G I have been running occasionally since it was new in 2003. 7500hrs now and still a great machine!
Since its the only one without a cab and AC in 100 deg. summer temps, the help usually runs the JD310.
A photo of my first "toy" backhoe. The baby in my lap is a Marine in Afghanistan right now.
1959 Case 530 Gas 1988 580K
That a sweet suite of Cases.................... thanks
Looks like me and my neighbour, He has a 60' and I have a 87'. He can still buy parts for his at the dealer!
CASE Equipment Catalogue 1966 Hi all, Not exactly my backhoe, but my catalogue, which came with my D750 crawler, had almost forgotten this book and all the 1966 Construction Equipment displayed. If interested, I'll scan the whole book and put it online - maybe! Here's a taster.
Heres mine. A 2003 Jcb 215s. I love it! Thanks, John http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj586/Roadbuilder66/6afef08a544abe98be9b87a34da2315b.jpg
I would love to have a new machine to operate! Just bought a 580 super k extendahoe, 4x4 its working for now. Hope to upgrade to a new one in a year or two!
My 1997 426C. Paid $23,000 for it three years ago, @ 8,200 hours. The owner was an old codger, concrete contractor - it was his baby and he didn't bash it around. It has a few problems though. A tiny oil leak on the engine, it slowly overheats if I work it hard on a hot day, and occasionally the boom creeps to one side, but only when it's cold (interested to know what that might me if anyone knows - I'm assuming a leaky/stuck valve). Pretty happy with it overall. Those are Galaxy tires on the rear, BTW. You don't see them too often. I use it strictly off-road and traction is never a problem. They are great for smashing dirt clods. ***? Why doesn't the photo show? Always works at other forums.
Here is a link to Case Construction. The new Case 590SN http://www.casece.com/en_us/Equipment/Loader-Backhoes/Pages/590-SuperN.aspx Looks like a nice machine. I have ran some old Case backhoes in life. One had 25,000 hrs on it! It was trashed! Was creaky, etc. Still did the job! Thanks!
But I prefer the Cat backhoes! The cab feels better & more comfortable to work long hours, The Cats seem to have more digging power & last longer. I heard that the Cat 450's run about 150,000+! Thanks! http://www.cat.com/cda/layout?m=686193&x=7 :notworthy
Hi All, Heres a pic of my 50b after a 2yr 2 mnth and 4 day rebuild (wife was counting) All done at home It had when I bought it rebuilt engine, deisel injector pump & new hydraulic pump & shaft I had to repin & bush the machine, straighten and weld quire alot of bent & cracked bits, rebuild all hydraulic cylinders all new hoses a bit of wiring work and of course a respray in yellow. Its amazing how many dodgy bodgeups we done to this thing over its life.
Here's a quick shot from delivery day!
MY dad and grand dad had one of these oliver backhoes, wish they hadn't have had it! It slid off the trailer when my dad was unloading it and fell on him and killed him.
Nice Looking 580C you have there TLR15, and looks like she has a Hyl Thumb on it ??? I have had a couple 580C over the years and they where pretty good machines.
WoW, bvfdfire so sorry to hear about that. How long ago did it happen ?
Evening all, Not my backhoe, but Council's road maintenance unit, the two crew wanted it secured so they left it just inside my driveway over a weekend and I took these images. Had they brought it closer I would have given it a good pressure clean down at my workshop, still it was doing good work and respected as a versatile and valuable machine, hope you enjoy the images.
nice looking machine, good to see
:cool2...... & don't you just love that side shift! :drinkup
sideshift,up/down jack legs, 4 in 1 bucket,,,,,,,,,,how do the Americans manage without all three?
Sometimes I wish I had a sideshift and narrow legs but sometimes I wish my legs would be longer for more stability. Those narrow legs should feel quite unstable while working off the sides.
Hi all and yes the vertical stabilisers are not going to give as much support, especially when the hoe is right on one side. A funny comment from the operator as he learnt the machine (he came from another area of work) was that as he was chucking some soil one way with the extend out it lifted the opposite leg, so he reversed the boom which kicked up the other way and as he wobbled back left and right he couldn't find the urgent solution and dumped the bucket on the ground to stop the rock 'n roll. The sideshift layout is handy but it does need respect when using it as you said.
Great machine! My friend also have this kind of model and it works very awesome.
88' 410C, previously beat into the ground, slowly bringing her back to life!
NEW JCB MIDI CX The Wife is at the wheel in two Pics. She's getting it down. Why should I have all the fun? about 45 hours on it at time of pics. that's why I'm taking a pic of the dirty floor in one shot. It killed me to get it dirty so soon.
please be aware that a broken glass door on any JCB is expensive.Always use the latch or close completely.Never drive machine with the door open
Thanks for the heads up. This JCB has a Pistin on it( just like the ones on many Car trunks and SUV hatches.. That's as far open as it goes and it does not swing because of the Piston.
I was a JCB operator for 30 years. Believe me the piston for holding the door open will not prevent the door from being damaged. A sudden lurch will make the door try to close and if it does that at the wrong time you will find out how expensive a new door is,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:drinkup
OK then, anything more than a crawl, the door gets closed
more doors are lost due to coming into contact with immovable objects when open
Concerning these spool load checks, is their purpose to block back flow until the fluid pressure builds up enough open the check valve, say to prevent the boom dropping before it begins lifting? My AC loader spools are like that , but have the valves built into the end of the spool. My Case hoe has them mounted outside the spool.
I run the 580SN on the right, been in it since new. 3,045hrs
This is my new Case 420B. Just got it for 1500$, and it runs great, good tires, a few little squawks here and there but a coat of paint and new hoe seat and grill, and she's a digger.
This is my first. Just bought her last week. 1973 580B 7,500 hrs. Plenty of work to do.
very good looking for age have fun trevor b
That's a good looking machine....
this is my 2010 310sj at a dealer in fort myers i just go it delivered today at 9pm
Jamby I used to have a 580 B back in the late 70s that didn't look as good as yours rig looks like she's in good shape
Hi all, here are a few pics of our backhoe/loaders, 3CX Contractor new July 2013 250 hours to date + CAT 434E new May 2012 1300 hours to date pics of this are on the day of delivery, this is shortly to be traded for a new CAT444F, I will post pics when it arrives. As our friends from the USA will note all of our machines in the UK are sideshift to allow us to get into the tight corners on our "small "island. Take care, Ex tractor fan.
Cool tractors Extractorfan.:drinkup I get the side shift backhoe, been a few predicaments that it would have come in very handy, but explain to us on the other side of the pond the equal sized front and rear tires. I assume they are also 4 wheel steer, another item we don't commonly see here either.
Hi CM1995, thanks for your comments on our backhoe pictures, yes the equal sized tyred machines are four wheel steer (rear wheel steer for travelling on the road). I personally really like the equal wheel machines as we carry a lot of work installing agricultural land drainage, on wet sites the increased flotation and under axle ground clearance really helps. I also find the equal wheels to be more stable on steep sites. My last six machines have all had equal sized tyres, I also find that we do not have as many punctures as our 3CX. Thanks for your interest. Ex tractor fan.
pretty sure you mean front wheel steer for the road ,as it would be a ride of a life time at 40k i operated one of the first 4cx,s back in the 90,s had plenty of teething troubles with it , rear wheel alignment was a major one had a go in the cat at the factory , only a quick go but liked it
I think he meant crab steer (all wheels steer in the same direction). Oh. Nevermind. I see now that you were replying to Extractorfan.
d4c24a, yes sorry I did mean front wheel steer for roading. Ex tractor fan
i can remember the steering going out of sync on a long straight bit of the A30 at stockbridge , i tried to reline the fronts but it would not lock in tried to road it in 4WS not a chance it was all over the place , managed to sort it by jacking all the wheels off the ground and going through all the modes cheers graham
How is your 580 super n holding up JS580SL?
At 3245hrs, it's had a few little problems. The plastic fuel lines suck, 4 of them have worn threw and pissed fuel everywere at various hours. The clips on the ends suck to. The boom and dipper piston just had to be repacked. Crank case breather. All the hoses on the back end that go from the valve bank threw the swing tower rub against each other, the strap that bunched them together had to be cut out. Most of the hoses were showing steel early. For some reason it blows hyd. fluid out the breather on the tank. As far as operating it's great but its nothing compare to the L's as far as quality.
in what year did case start and stop making 580G 4x4 full spec ??? had one in ire in 93 cannot remember what year
JS580SL, That's the first time I've anything that bad about a n series backhoe. I do hope it gets better for you, and it wont brake down anymore on you. Down where I live the n series rule out every other backhoe, and they never let down their owners. Btw I just bought a new n series backhoe, a 580sn wide track a size up from your 580 super. I get it this week. Cant wait to start using it, for a long time, but I will miss my 2006 580 super m. cheers
Im just the operator. Wide track is the same machine, only difference is tires, front bucket, and stabilizers. It's hit or miss here, some guys have had great luck, some have had bad luck with the N's. Im a case guy but id like to spend a few days in a 310SK that has case 4stick. Ive run one with pilots for a few hours already.
got a couple calls this week thanks to my tow truck buddies. to pull some people who were stuck in the mud on Tuesday and again on Friday. yes that was a new chevy with like a 19-20 yo messing up daddies new truck
Hi all, as promised pictures of my new CAT 444F, it has been sitting in our yard for 2 weeks awaiting a registration number so it can be used legally on the highway (slack CAT dealers did not send the correct information to the UK licencing authority, so the paper work bounced back to me twice). Anyway I have been out and done 3 small jobs with it today along with plenty of roading, backhoe smooth as silk, torque converter stall ratio improved so she gets off the mark quicker and most importantly it has torque converter lock up in 4th and 5th gears so it hangs on to the higher gears longer up hills. Also you do not need to run the engine "flat out" to obtain a decent top speed so that should save fuel, time will tell as regards reliability - early days. Ex tractor fan.
very nice mate , hope it performs better than some others i have heard of lately
Looks great! Is it standart stick,or it is longer (optional)? I thing the MICHELIN tyres are good (not so much like GOODYEAR). I had two front 12,5/80 R18 Michelins on my CASE 580 SLE and I used it whole 7 years:cool2
d4c24a, thanks for your comments, I have bought the CAT because it still has the pre Tier 4i engine so hopefully less complication & better fuel economy. Also compared to our 2013 JCB 3CX the CAT wireing harness, hose runs & paint quality are better. Would you know how to contact The British Equipment Forums people as I can log in but it will not allow me to post on the site?Take care, Extractorfan.
Hi Yassen-TE, thanks for your comments, our CAT 444F has the extendable stick but it is same as the one fitted to the 434E, there is a longer one offered but this machine was one of 4 in stock at the CAT factory in Desford UK. The Michelin tyres are crossplys, the CAT 434E we traded in was on the same tyres but after 1300 hours they were half worn but we do a lot of road travel. The Michelin MXCL radials are much better wearing tyres, the JCB 3CX we recently traded in had the radials fitted and after 2600 hours the rears were only half worn but the fronts were down to 25% good. Also we did not have a single puncture in 3 years. Have you found the Case machines to be reliable? Ex tractor fan., h
92 580K phase 3
Hi,EXTRACTORFAN! Thank's for the answer! I have my own CASE 580 SLE,2001 4x4,extendahoe with 4in1 front bucket. I bought it from Germany in 2005. It was only 2400 real hours! It is great machine,with almost no problem! The biggest problem was the boom cylinder,but it is unfortunately usual for this model. SLE is one of the stronger CASE model,like K's. Next R models are not so reliable,there is slower hydraulic,more fuel cost,not pretty and strong backhoe boom... But I heard good news for the new Case T model. There s TIER 4 engine with great fuel economy,very good transmission,ang- finally the great CASE trade structure of the backhoe boom! Bay the way,friend of mine have a few CAT's E serie,he is very satisfied. He bought one JCB 3CX 2012,with fuel optionals and he is very disappointed. There is enourmus fuel cost (more than on CAT's),in 800 hours the breaks leaks. Two weeks before he bought again CAT (F) and he is happy again! Best regards-Yassen-TE
articulated Backhoe . great idea
We also have a 2013 JCB 3CX with Tier 4 engine and it uses more fuel than our2010 3CX did. Hope your CASE continues to give you good service. Regards Ex tractor fan
Here is a shot of my last hoe . I gave her up a year ago to a good home Had over 9000 hrs and still ran strong It was a good machine.I have to say the Super E was built for the operator in mind . A Little bit more power than the D and C I do mis it but just a little to much to keep her up just for a hobby
Awesome tractor Bill, probably my favourite model, would have been a sad day when she left...... made the new owner happy I bet. I hope it still looks that good!
Thanks Alrman , I was pretty proud of it
Hello, new to the forum. I've had two hoes over the last 10 years. An old 1973 Ford 4500 Industrial that I picked up locally for $6300. That was my first hoe. I needed something for the property. Clearing trees and adding buildings.
Sold that one in 2005 on ebay for $5000 after many hard hours. Bought an 83 JD 310A in 05 Just sold it on CL. Paid $8000 for it. Sold it 2 weeks ago for $8000. So now I have my middle age crisis corvette on the way. 2010 JCB 3CX15. Should have it next week.
That looks like a good size stump for that backhoe.
When they are that big it takes a good hour of digging a trench around it and severing all the roots. Then I work it with the shovel curl, ripping dirt out of the underside till it's light enough to rock. Rock it for a while then it will break loose. After that I basically roll them into the woods to provide shelter for all those poor creatures. Took out probably 40 stumps with that hoe and the older Ford. Maybe five were of that size. Here is a pic of the 73 Ford getting delivered to it's new owner up in New York. Can you believe this guy drove that 6 ton machine up there using a pickup truck!
Well at least it looks like he chained it down alright. Even a ratchet strap around all the glass. Truck must have helper bags since its not even sagging.
This is where my 580super L lives 46 weeks of the year. But when it is out this is what it is creating!
HOOTOWL An old man once told me , Not owning a backhoe is like wearing a shirt with no pocket.Enjoy the vet but you will miss the hoe
96 580 Super L Only used for pushing snow OK I dont know how those tires got in there
My lovely CASE
It aint how it looks but how it works. Thats where the money is.
Super L's by far the best case backhoe
Clearing out the driveway
^ Who says you cant plow with a 2wd hoe! Sure looks like its plowing to me!
Yeah it does alright. Hard part is shoveling out the sliding door on the barn to get it open. I keep it backed in so I can push a path out and work my way out from there.
Here's a picture from way back when I was still just a little guy... This is a Fordson Major that was equipped with a Sherman Major backhoe and an Athey loader. I just loved that machine, unfortunately something in the engine went south, oil started puking out of the coolant overflow tank so we took the engine out and were told that parts were no longer available. It sat for a few years without an engine before my dad sold it for the measly sum of $250! I will never forgive him for this Well ok maybe I will but still... It was a great old tractor, I sure wish we still had it...
My 580K This is the First Backhoe I OWN !!! Made sure I got 4 in 1 , Extend-a-hoe , 4X4 and a Cab...( MN ) . I'm in the process of getting a Ford L9000 and a Trail-eze (20 Ton) trailer... . Gotta Fly... Mike & "Jaz" the Flying Dogz . .
I have a JCB 2CX. My brother got a Cat and my ex-wife was using a Hyundai backhoe
Nice looking machine.. So that looks like what mine looked like when it was NEW.. my 580K does not look like that, very jealous!
Only difference between men and boys is the price if their toys!!
Nice looking 580C Jackleg, Where about in Michigan are you ? I am over by Port Huron area. And if you like check out my YouTube channel "diggerdave51" have some video of my 580SE and JD310A working.
Digger D- thanks for the complement on the 580C, I'm proud to own it!! It'd be nice to have the 4X4 and turbo, but I had to draw the line somewhere ( I started out looking at the "antiques"). We live in northern Berrien County about 3 miles East of Lake Michigan. Mostly Blueberry, Peach, apple, cherry farms over here. I subscribed to your YouTube channel- I'd like to have a wide ditch digging bucket like you have, but I'll get by with what I've got for now.. Still on the learning curve.
Thanks, jackleg for subscribing to my YouTube channel. And if there is ever anything I can do to help you just let me know, and if I can I will. I do to a lot of auctions and if I see a Case Ditching bucket I will let you know, should be able to pick one up for 200 - 300ish ?? The 48" on the JD I pickup for I think 250 at a auction. so they are out there . Thanks, Diggerdave
I have a couple of new Case buckets (18" and 24") that I would let go for $600 per.
Here's my new baby the new terex 840 offset..
Very nice looking Terex
Here is a shot of me biting a little.more than I could chew with a silver Bismarck and another pic of what I normally do with it
Deere 410 green!
I wish my '94 580sk looked as good as the one on the last page, but the last owner probably has the same issue as me it won't fit in the barn with out stretching out the hoe...
I will be buying my first backhoe Monday and as soon as I hit my posting limit I will post pics
Currently have the hood and the rear backhoe bodywork still off from when I had the hoe off to split the tractor and do a ring and pinion. Thinking I will need to rebuild the backhoe spools soon. I could/should put the hood on.. but its a real PITA.
Here it is 97 JCB I know the stack is turned the previous owner has it on there in a funny way. One of the many things that needs attention.
my new to me 580C for use on the farm. not as nice as some of these on here and needs a little welding work, but she is all mine and paid cash for just rolled it off the trailer at 5pm and put 4 hours on it tonight.
backhoe the latest one from the JCB stable ,did not stay clean for long after a night connection on a watermain
I like how you guys across the pond carry your rear backhoe buckets in the 4 in 1, pretty neat.
wow i always thought that was the only way... i keep 7 buckets with the machine at all times
Curious what paint you used. I think this is the best looking 580CK that I've ever seen. I think it looks much better than the bright yellow which I used in the past. thx
No one does that around you? That's how everyone with a 4in1 carry buckets out here.... Offdiggin, whats a guy need 7 buckets for? How do you carry the other 2 that don't fit in the loader?
Sweet digger, fordtrucknut! I sure do enjoy mine (both working it and sometimes working on it) I think these machines are in thier prime as far as being afordable, having decent power, and acess to parts/ being able tinker with and fix.
i only dig footings. i like to have the right size for what i am diggin. I carry 4 in the front and i stack the 4', 3'6" and the 3' together in the back
This is my 2008 310SJ. Just traded it in for a brand new 310SK. arrives next week. Pretty stoked!
My 2010 JCB 3CX 15 Taking a 2800 lb Cummins diesel out of the bed of my buddy's pickup...
come everyone lets see some pic of your backhoes and some info aout them. I dont have a picture of mine but I have an 1986 case 580e with extend a hoe 4wd without a cab but I love it replika telefon
Nice backhoe! Just picked up a '64. Pretty good shape (not as good a yours) , but I hope to put it to use soon. Do you have any feedback on yours ? How is it to operate ? Problems ? Praises ?
Putting the hood back on. The exhaust pipe is welded to the muffler so have to lift the hood over the end of the pipe. It's too heavy for me alone. A little green mechanical helper does the job.
That must be a pain, every time you need to take the hood off, you need another tractor. There must be some other way, ...
It sure is a pain ... But the hood is set up to deter vandals and such. It's a single piece of metal. Weighs about 40 to 50 pounds and is awkward to handle. Even if I didn't have to lift the hood 3 feet higher than stock, I would still need help moving it on or off. Now a shop with an overhead crane, and heat, and air conditioning, and a stocked fridge, ... or a new machine with a factory warranty .. I can dream.
Why not put an adapter on the muffler so you can unbolt it, and then hinge the hood? Obviously, the clamp would have to be placed at hood height, or slightly above.
My first backhoe got delivered yesterday. 2006 Case 580 Super M, cab, heat, E-hoe, Ride Control, Case controls, manual QA on the hoe, hydraulic QA for the GP bucket, and 5' forks, 2770 hours. I know a lot of folks seem to dislike the 3 stick setup, but I'm mostly a weekend warrior, so I'm okay if it's a bit slower, simpler, and less likely to break. So far the only thing I've found that doesn't work is the rotating beacon, and that appears to be because the neutral wire is broken...I'll fix that before long. I really wanted A/C, but not many machines around here have it, save for the very newest stuff. I was sort of hoping for a 4-in-1 bucket, or thumb for the hoe, but I think I'm going to look for a grapple for the loader since it's already plumbed for a 3rd function. They put a set of diverter valves on the loader so you can use the QA to attach a bucket, forks, grapple, etc, turn the valves, and connect an implement to the 3rd function. Regardless, I'm very happy with it. Sorry this isn't an action shot...those will follow, but I'm working to finish/heat the shop in my barn before Winter really sets in! http://papers.sae.org/600190/
Not sure how the SAE article got posted (something I was reading earlier today). Here's the machine:
Welcome to the forum GManBart. im Greenpower from TBN, RDRancher and 1 other also lurk around here.
Yes, welcome GManBart, I'm Skyhook from TBN...:thumbsup
Thanks! I figured there would be some TBN crossover
Thanks! Since I couldn't get the embedded links to work, I'll try this again.
Me running my 1988-ish Case 580K up at the cabin. This backhoe is like an old pair of jeans. Rough around the edges, but comfortable, and it works just fine! 4x4 + Extendahoe = AWESOME!
87 model 580K 4x4 with a 4 way loader bucket
Looks like I grabbed the wrong link but don't see a way to edit this post. Is there any way to do that?
You usually have a specific amount of time to edit your post, the link works fine, if you click on it it brings you there. Nice machine.:thumbsup
This my ride plowing snow so the power company could get to some remote poles that snapped off in a wind storm.
You ought to have a snow bucket with all that traction,nice machine.Ron G
530 ck Okay second try.... Nice 530 ck wlas! Here is a picture of my new to me 530ck....serial tells me its a 1964. wlas how has yours been? Any pointers, problems or praises?
sounds great, ths a lot.
First post here so I'll chime in with my new to me backhoe, 2001 310SG with 4300hrs. Just finished up the deal today and it's being delivered thursday. This will be my second backhoe, its going to replace my 2 wheel drive 95 310D that I've had for the last 9 years. The D has been a great machine but I've gotten to the point where I need 4 wheel drive and this machine will fit the bill perfect. I was on the hunt for a 410D or 410E but when the dealer I used to work for offered me this one for a good price I decided to jump on it. When I bought my other machine I was still working for the dealer, at that point I never figured I'd ever be owning a G series machine...they were still building them new at that point...on the plus side I did get to work on a few of them back then so made the choice that much easier for me.
Nice machine, Fireman.....you'll love the 4x4.
thanks, I'm looking forward to being able to drive up the hill in my driveway with a load on the forks, 2 wheel drive just wont do it with a little snow on the ground. First project is to modify my carriage and forks to fit this machine so I can move lumber around, and be able to use my snow plow that hooks to the carriage in place of the forks. Going to pull the loader bucket replace the pins and bushings then put the forks on until the time comes to do some dirt work...a coupler might be in my future at some point.
The Fireman, That is one nice machine. Please don't tell me how much nicer it is than the D was. :laugh:laugh
Here are my Dynahoe 190-2. These are the first pieces of equipment I have ever owned. The lighter Yellow is complete running with very little leaking. The darker yellow is the spare machine with a few pistons that need to repacked. They both run and the spare machine has newer tires and a clamshell bucket. I can't wait to learn how to run them as I have a garage foundation to dig in the spring.
Welcome to the Forums The Fireman!:drinkup
Me and my helper getting ready to move some snow tomarrow.
Couple of nice machines! Cherish this time, it will pass too soon.
My pretty CASE 580 SLE 2001
My pretty backhoe CASE 580 SLE 2001
Nice machine.:thumbsup
its a case 680 E
Now that it's warmed up, I don't mind posting an action pic....
I just dragged this old International 250A home. Shes pretty crusty but I have already done some repairs, water pump, hoses, converted to Delco 10si alternator, and will gradually de rust, clean and paint it. The splines on the upper backhoe pivot are pretty tight on this one luckily.
Forgot to lock your boom. :-(
I have found that generally speaking leaving the boom unlocked helps balance the machine while traveling,especially when carrying a load in the front bucket as the rear unsprung weight cushions the ride.The booms on most backhoes leak down by themselves anyway eventually so an operator will be checking that from time to time by force of habit.That is my observation anyway.Ron G
I have a Deere. They don't lock over centre like a Case but I leave mine slightly off of the lock when roading. It smooths the ride quite a bit but still not smooth.
Understandable, I just believe in locking them when using the front and it pieves me to see them unlocked. :-(
So its probably hard on the main pivot mount and pin and bushings to drive around with it bouncing up and down right?
If I'm going to road my backhoe any distance I'll lock the boom otherwise I never do, no point in it for traversing around a small job site.
This is exactly why I feel its always necessary to lock the boom whether traveling short or long distances. I guess to each their own, but I believe they were designed and fitted for a reason so I use them. Its not hard to pull a boom in all the way and flip a stick to the locked position.
I think the only reason any of the manufactures put a boom lock on was because of the bitching they put up with from settling hydraulics.
My new hand-made custom lights of my 580 SLE
Pictures of my 580C Extendahoe
:thumbsup...........nice lookin' hoe!!!...........i have a 79 open cab....
1951 Oliver Super 88 with ware loaders and backhoe. 55hp inline 6 cylinder engine, detatchable hoe, brand new tires, rebuilt hydraulics.
Very Nice, Fatjay. It good to see that someone would invest the time and money to keep a 1951 Oliver Super 88 running and work in today world, keep up the great pics would like to see more of the old girl working !!! Thanks
I just rebuilt the rear spools and all hoses were replaced to the tune of just over $500. I've removed tree's, shrubs, stumps, and other random things. Works hard, is fairly decent on fuel, and other than the rear stabilizers having a hard time lifting the back up, has enough power to do pretty much everything I want to do.
Well here's one of my backhoes. AusDave
In the spirit of stump removal, my Case 580K ripping out a stump from a tree that I "punched" over with the extendahoe:
When purchasing my hoe, I really wanted a 580ck. Unfortunately the prices at the time just weren't right. I'm not sure why my hydraulics aren't at the 580 level though, as I'm in the same HP range. I'm still learning about hydraulics so I'll figure it out at some point. Here's a video of a dig a few months ago. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8_QKwwxae4
I see it all the time,but I don't know why. Why is it some people raise the tlb as high as possible? Outriggers down the whole way and loader bucket dumped entire way and down. I just level mine out and make sure the back tires are off the ground.
new to me 1985 555a super low hours with a sims cab, my first bh
Nice looking 555 rtoms, way back when I had a Ford 655A and it was a very good machine simple to maintain and repair and you could get parts just about any where. Would like to see some pics of her working !!!!!!!
Thanks, for the working pics of the Super 88 don't see to many these day !!!!!!!!!!!
74 Case 580B CK. It runs. Two rebuilt cylinders, new starter, radiator, gauges, rewired. Three stumps out of the ground, 50 to go! Current problem is one outrigger won't hold pressure pretty much at all and the hoe boom s l o w l y loses pressure. Since the controls for these are side-by-side, I wonder if the pressure leak is in the controls.
Just a guess here since I dont have experience on hoe's this old, but maybe take a gander at the backhoe control valve as you mentioned if the cylinders have been rebuilt and resealed.
I traded a 580C in on this D in 1982. Still work it occasionally around the property. 8700 Hrs on the clock. Well I need to figure out how to straighten them out,lol! Tom
1978 Hymac 370C
Finished up the season pulling out a couple small tree's and clearing out a messy area by the pool.
Here is a picture of mine. She is ugly on the outside, but all new and shiny on the inside! Since the picture was taken I have put the headlights and grill back on.
Everyday with CASE 580 SLE
Yassen that last pic of the 580 in traffic is classic! We don't see many side shift backhoes in the States but I can see where it would be very handy.
Yes, CM1995,it is very handy! This pic is from Sofia,the capital of Bulgaria! The streets are very narrow,the vehicles are everywhere ...
Not many here in my part of the world, but I am showing locals what you can do with one of these
bugger still upside down? not sure why it did that.
That's a strange rear bucket....
Not in my possession yet so technically I guess it's not mine but I have paid for it.
For clay ground , thats a tidy 50 mate , i had one just before the updated backhoe come out
That's correct this ground was very sticky clay, and customer wanted 200mm wide trench to lay drainage pipe and back fill with "pea metal" My backhoe was the only machine I had that could do the job. The ground had already been laser leveled so just kept the same depth all the way to keep grade. Modified the bucket on site by cutting out the sides to make a semi spade bucket. Easy to empty as you shake sideways and mostly came out in one clump! Trench lengths were 100mtr long and had 3 of them to do for a cattle feed pad, to be filled to top with wood chip.
Hi everyone, I recently joined this site, and really enjoy reading everyones positive comments to help each other out. The first backhoe I learned to operate was a 70's Ford 4500. Last year, when I was looking for a backhoe, I found this 73 Ford 4500 diesel 2 wh/drive shuttle shift, 2 blocks from my house. The machine was privately owned since new, it had been sitting for approx last 15 yrs both inside/outside in our Florida weather. It had less then 1100 hrs on it. I flushed all the fluids & hydraulics and got it running & drove it home. What a work horse. I'm still making improvements on it and have already changed 85% of all the hydraulic hoses. Still working out ll the bugs but it runs good now. I'm using it to help clear my 5 acre's down here. Here is recent photo when I purchased it...
My CASE 580 SLE goes 10000 hours! 15-years old,but gold! With some little repairs for this years and regualr oil changes,it's one of the strongest backhoes! I love it so!
Best case machine ever built as far as im concerned.i had a 590 sle and it was a thousand times better than the cat 432e that replaced it.do you get fractures on the silencer mount under the bonnet. Nick...
Yep,unfortunately. It is because the exhaust pipe is too heavy,I think... But I repaired the mufler a few times.
Made in China?! I'm confused...
Just got this Premier Auger attachment setup, waiting for spring to test out!
Dynahoe 290K, in Roseland, NJ beginning excavation for a Allen Block Wall at the new Bright Horizons Play Ground, 11-21-15
I have a straight 410. She is apart right now for reverser rebuild. Here it is in better days.
Dug up a few boulders today for a wall project, JD 410G
Back in 1991 building my house. A couple years ago building a shed.
Billrog, great pictures. I especially like the supervisor taking advantage of the shade in the shed.
Juskatla I had 2 big bucks hang around for 2 summers keeping an eye on me while I worked . They came and went for a few years right from baby's then a couple yrs. ago disappeared maybe in a deep freeze some place.
Old Ugly Dirty (loved) Hoe Pic. I went through 25 pages of this thread and hadn't seen one 530 Construction King, so I figured I would post pictures of mine. 1963 Case Construction King (Desiel) with Model 32 backhoe on it (5 lever). Keep the pictures coming, I am really enjoying looking at all the pictures. Included a picture with it loaded on my 04 Titan (Big Tow Package) with 218k miles and still jerking this baby around.
With that size machine you should be thinking about a dump truck to pull it around,you will be thanking yourself over and over for the liberties that you will have just being able to move material when you need to in addition to the safety you will have added when moving the hoe.I worked around that machine when it was new for Lane construction.Ron G
Yes, you are right Ron and I do agree, but I have only had to move it once a year since I bought it in 2013. It is a very slow process with the truck, I don't go above 40mph (and have brake controller and good trailer brakes). I would need to get a trailer before even considering a dump. I borrow this trailer from a friend.
416D IT Getting some work done today. Replaced 20 feet of 6" water main.
!993 JD310D I bought and had transported to our place. New battery and replaced a couple of grease fittings and just starting to check it out, so far so good,...
John Deere 300B. She ain't pretty, but she is mine. :bouncegri
Hi All, Thought I would post a pic of my cat 428 '91 model. Got just over 10000hrs but runs and works well . Backhoe has bush wear in all the normal bits of course. Cheers Scott
Nice cat! Looks fully loaded.
Thnks , 4 in 1, rollover forks, Extenda-hoe, Side shift ,Air cab, 4x4. Was an council machine in the sewage dept for the first 6 years of its life ! Cheers Scott
I like the Cat but those are nice looking dogs to !
86 580 se trailer is just big enough!
580c 1980 580c
In my childhood there were two.... or maybe one 530CK tractors. They are really the only hoes I remember from childhood. Almost all excavation was done either by hand, horses, feeble loaders on farm tractors, or crawlers. These machines were the first all in one backhoes. A couple men routinely dug cellar hoes with these. Years later I discovered one laying on its side in a farm field. At the time I wasn't aware its owner lay dead a mile away. He was run over, but autopsy showed he died of heart attack. Now I'm wondering if it is the same machine a younger man used in his business. Probably some overlap in time & two different tractors. That one is sitting for sale on a used car lot nearby right now. I don't know what yours weighs, but I'm sure it's too much for your equipment.
Here we are Cat 434E and JD432
One more.The best i ever have extend hoe 4x4 power shift gear,air condition, 6340h no problem.Once broke sweewel frame.It cost me 3k$.Cat sell these backhoes in Rassia 150K$.
Got this beast in a trade for a older covered trailer. Its a digging machine.
This was my first backhoe and an example of what can happen when you have a chain cinch on the floor & it jams the throttle wide open on a corner going down hill when it's icy .
oppsy moment Hows that thing pushing snow with chains on
That pic. was taken 25 years ago but it did a very good job with chains on without it wouldn't even move on the flat. I made that set of chains out of some old truck chains with a cross link every other rail link.
I bought a 1974 JD 410 2 wheel drive about twenty years ago. The chains I bought were typical except between cross chains lying parallel with the tire were short connector chains. There were two connector chains each off center on the tire, the next gap was open. They worked well off pavement, drive a short distance on road, there'd be a loud pop, and one cross chain would break. Not when digging for traction, when moving easily on pavement. I replaced lots of pieces before selling the tractor, and throwing in the chains. Willie
2013 jcb 3cx This is my first backhoe. It has 1600 hours on it I put about 30 hours on it working in the yard.
With only 1600 hrs. on that machine you've got years of playing before it will be warn out. Sure looks nice and clean.
My biggest concern with a used machine was leaks. Luckily and surprisingly it has not one everything was dry and still had a good layer of dust. So I was confident it wasn't power washed first.
Most JCB are very dry machines and well built. The only problem , they use a different hose end that a lot of people don't carry. With 1600 hrs you shouldn't need any hoses for a good while. I had an old 1400B , it was fast.
John Deere's drool they have the nicest functioning hydraulic system. The price owners pay seems to be leaks. Mine leaked from places unimaginable. It even leaked through cracks in fittings un thought of. Other machines seem to be a surprise when a hose blows a leak. It ain't handy, but consider that this tractor has at least 50 hydraulic hoses, If you do nothing but repair leaks, you will replace 10 of them in ten years. Three approaches are logical. Replace everything, at a cost of $5000. Replace nothing, at a cost of downtime when a leak springs, or inspect, itemize, order hoses, and replace the worn hoses. On backhoes they fail at the swing tower, and at the pivot of the loader. Look for places they might snag. Inside the backhoe boom is cramped. A bad hose looks bad outside. Willie
A lot of people knock jcb vs Deere and cats. I wouldn't know the difference I've never ran a Deere or cat. But my opinion is a jcb 3cx is smaller and cheaper. I priced others with similar hours and they where ether in rough shape or out of my budget.
I have 3 Case 590 Super M's. Love them way better than when I use to run 580s. Each has a grapple we use for demolition. Just recently painted the wheels gray to give them a tougher look
Looking good Demoguy96!
Got to run the triple nickel today. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd be real interested to see those controls in action. May I presume it's foot swing? I briefly owned a Case hoe with three lever control, foot swing. I couldn't get used to it, and despite lubrication the foot swing was sticky. Not something you'd want to dig beside your house with. I still have the tractor, but converted to joystick. Willie
It's ford controls. Out. Down. Out. Left Dipper boom bucket swing In. Up. . In. Right Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Heavy Equipment school
Dig it ! You tell that instructor... Git off my Back Whoe !!! Can you Dig it ! Looks like your Out Standing in your Field !!! and the hit just keep coming ... Practice safety always... my backhoe names ( I name them ) are always "Yellow Death" that'll make them take a step back.... When the Dirt is willing... Here's what a hole looks like. Took me 12 hrs to dig it because I only had three ten wheelers hauling the dirt away. It was for three 10,000 gal tanks at a Chevron station in Livermore CA Shallow scoops at the top kept the asphalt from breaking away from the hole too much. Otherwise it just Heaves up... CHECK THAT OIL !!!
Mike Mulligan couldn't have done it better. Willie
I thought Long Island was Dynahoe country...
Thanks... I "am" a Mike.... JAM stands for "Just Another Mike" . Gotta Fly...
My '94 Case 580 SK Turbo. 4x4, cab, x-hoe, Case controls. I love this thing.
Your in Michigan... You'll love the Cab with HEAT... I hope you can plug it in... Below 30 degrees here in Minnesota I plug mine in for at least 20 min... an hour is better. She cranks over better then... Avoid starting fluid if you can. . Gotta Fly... JAM
Nice hoe had the same machine for 15,000 hrs. was still going strong when I sold it & like Jam said in the winter I had it on a timer to get a few hrs. warm up never needed starting fluid.
Yes, the cab with heat is awesome! I can just about move snow while wearing at tshirt lol. I've had good luck with cold starting. It doesn't have a block heater, so I can't plug in. I've never used starting fluid in the 6 years I've had her. I think the coldest I've cranked it is low teens, and surprisingly she cranks up and runs. Not as good as she would on a warm day, but still pretty well. It was late February when I looked at the machine to buy. The temp was somewhere in the 30's. I beat the tech with starting fluid to the yard. The way she cranked over so well, was one of the things that sold me. The tech was even surprised lol. He said they've got new machines that don't start nearly as easy. I do have to plug my other stuff in though. They don't like the cold as much lol.
Thank you! They seem like they're real workhorses. I'm probably hinting to my age here. My grandpa made a living with Case equipment, refused to buy any other brand of backhoe. I was raised on one, a brand new k model. I love mine!
I've had two 580Ks The first was tired when I bought it. It had extend a hoe, and John Deere controls. I later bought a very nice, low hour, same year (1988). It had standard stick, and Case three lever controls with foot swing. I couldn't get used to the three lever nonsense, so I swapped the controls and dipper. The guy I sold the first one to didn't know how to operate a backhoe so he didn't care. Previously I had an older John Deere 410. I very much prefer the hoe on the JD. I could dig fast without the jumpy nature of the hoe. The JD had more boom lift. I will qualify my criticism of the Case unit with the disclaimer that mine has extend a hoe, and a hydraulic thumb These features increase the jumpiness. A boulder in the front bucket helps considerably. In any other sense the Case is a far superior machine. I'm tempted by the N series, but that is a big step in the financial sense. Willie
I've had two 580Ks The first was tired when I bought it. It had extend a hoe, and John Deere controls. I later bought a very nice, low hour, same year (1988). It had standard stick, and Case three lever controls with foot swing. I couldn't get used to the three lever nonsense, so I swapped the controls and dipper. The guy I sold the first one to didn't know how to operate a backhoe so he didn't care. Previously I had an older John Deere 410. I very much prefer the hoe on the JD. I could dig fast without the jumpy nature of the hoe. The JD had more boom lift. I will qualify my criticism of the Case unit with the disclaimer that mine has extend a hoe, and a hydraulic thumb These features increase the jumpiness. A boulder in the front bucket helps considerably. In any other sense the Case is a far superior machine. I'm tempted by the N series, but that is a big step in the financial sense. Willie
It's not a Whoe but it is my newly renovated skip-loader...all cleaned up with a new engine...
The thing about different controls is sort of funny. My grandpa could run case controls smooth as butter, and efficient as a wobble machine. Put him on a machine with wobbles, and it was a completely different story. He learned on case controls, centuries ago. I think it's all about personal preference, and what an individual is comfortable with. It's true that extra weight in the front helps with the balance, though. Those N series machines seem like nice machines, but like you said, they're costly. I'm not sure I'd want to rely on all of the electronics in them either.
Phil i hope you are ok. You have been missed. We dont know what has become of yiu but we hope you are having a wonderful time wherever you are.
bump for some pictures
Forkin around 70 CK580, gasser, never missed a day of work.
Mama always told me study good sunny,or you ll be diggin ditchies. But She never told me that i would be making $100 per hour/.
Earlier this summer worked on the beach. Had to make work done as fast as possible. 32 hours in two days. ointhead ointhead
Here is my 1998 Case 590 SLE. I`ve hade it for about three years and it has about 6000 hours on it. I am not a contractor and only use it on my small farm and i would find it hard to do without it. This backhoe has pilot controls and , i dont know what you call it, but controls for driving it in hoe mode. Wich seems to be rare in The states. It also ha quick coupler in both ends.
Very nice machine, you also have the side shift so you can move the hoe side to side.:scool
That has to be the most decked out machine I've ever seen , very nice.
Thanks guys! I`m really fond of it It`s a shame that this type of backhoe is so uncommon in sweden. Backhoes used here are mostly bigger ones.
Respect for keeppin it clean and shiny. Sometimes when i see a backhoe all covered ina three years grease, it just makes me sick. Old model but with joysticks
How about Hidrema i love that brand but expenseive too much
What about Hidrema i love that brand. But price is over blown
building a greenhouse on the front of my barn...boy those Amish work good and fast...
Your backhoes look Nice too Honcho! Where in russia du You operate? Hydrema is quiet common here. Looks like Great machines.
Good job Hobbytime, someone who can appreciate tire chains!! Same here.
Wow, that is cool Hobbytime.
I love the 590 series. No backhoe has ever been too big. I have the 580K. It sometimes is too small. Willie
Hobbytime; Your backhoe isn't new. 1985? My first backhoe, I answered an ad. An older man said he bought a 555 (triple nickel) to replace an older Case. He couldn't get used to the difference in controls from the Case. The price was good, the machine was pristine, low hour. I wanted it. Next day, trying to pay for it, I was witness to a horrible example of parental abuse. The 30 year old son threw a fit. It was his machine, his father had no right to sell it. I still don't know who owned it. A day later the son called me to offer a newer Case 580E. It was abused, but fixable. Again the price was right. It was 4 wheel drive. I agreed to buy. I was 150 miles from home. He wouldn't accept my check. I suggested his bank was across the road. I could have my bank wire the money to his bank while we wait. That wasn't good enough for him. I ended up not buying. I couldn't deal with this nut. Two years later, on vacation nearby, my son and I were driving along when we spotted a Case 350 Dozer. The asking price was $3500. It wasn't easy finding the owner. He was losing a 16 year battle with brain cancer. He wanted to put his affairs in order before he died, didn't want his wife to have that task too. Three hours into the process, I was writing the check, when the A hole from the backhoe incident pulled in with his trailer. He handed the seller 35 $100. bills. The guy looked at me, feeling guilty, apologized. No 555 for me, or 350 Case, all because crack pots are allowed to roam free. Years later it's a 580K Case, and TD7G Dresser dozer. I'm wiser but none the worst for my experiences. The 555 is one tough, well designed tractor. Friends in the dirt business retired one to farm use only. It works with no maintenance at all, for twenty years. Willie
those double D or loop chains got me out of some sticky mud many times....the rear tires are due for some new replacements, that will be spring time...the 555 spends most of its time on softer dirt, and when clay gets wet its like grease..
its around 1980 vintage and was well maintained by the previous owner, he has an excavating business and as he upgrades to newer machines I get first dibs on what he sells, I also picked up a komatsu D-58 dozer from him...sounds like you have the nut magnet turned up to high...LOL...the 555 is serving me well, when I was renovating the house and had to replace all the stacked stone foundation with a new footing and block, in the long run it was cheaper to buy the 555 than pay someone todo the excavating and sight work..there was a learning curve, but in time I got the hand of it...good thing the finished siding wasnt on my house yet..lol...a few hidden scars from getting too close with the buckets...
here is more of the framing done, I have to stain the wood then the poly plastic to enclose it in..
they work great in the snow too..back in the barn for the night..
my 580D Bought this to install septic system and water lines on my farm. Really smooth machine with low hours came with forks and bucket thumb.
I had a 580 Super D for many years. Bought it used & in kind of rough shape, then fixed it up & painted it. Mine had the 2 stick John Deer controls......took a bit of getting used to, but once I was used to it I liked it. It was a nice machine. Sold it a few years ago & got a 580 SM.
This was my Super D. Here is the 580 Super M. It was 9 years old when I bought it with low hours on it.
I've never seen a D before. We have a number of Es locally. I presume the flat glass, and twin boom cylinders make it a European built model. Cummins T390? Willie
I believe both the models "D" & "Super D" were manufactured in Racine, Wisconsin, but am not certain. They had the Case engine in them; the "D" naturally aspirated & the "Super D" had a turbo.
good looking machines metalman!
580d's and E's are basically the same tractor. The D's had the 207 case. SuperD's got a turbo. The E's were the first with the Cummins. I understand Case used to offer a kit to convert a D tractor to an E tractor. Engine, hydraulic pump, and some small bits.
Just got done installing a quick coupler of my 580c
My new to me 580C!!! Bought her about 4 months ago....and lovin every minute of it.
Nice C
200 miles from home, I was ready to write a check for a 4x4E with detachable hoe, three point hitch, and extend a hoe. The seller didn't trust my check, I was a stranger. I proposed we go across the street to his bank, and work it out. My bank could wire money to him. He insisted I had to go home to get cash. Ultimately, I decided I didn't want to do business with him at all. His was European. A friend has a G his is a close match to the E. I later bought two (one at a time) 580K. The K is USA built, and is utterly different from the similar E, and G. The European models are largely fabricated steel. The K has lots of cast or ductile parts, Where fabricated, pieces are hydro formed, then Sub Arc welded by machine. I presume a more expensive process. The G I mentioned was bought new by another friend. He tells me he had a choice of G or K new from dealer. K was much more expensive, and had less ground clearance. In his pit, pumpkins roll off the bank all the time. 2" more clearance he saw as an advantage. 20 years old, he traded it in. He admitted he was curious the dealer didn't want to take physical possession of it. That evening the salesman picked it up, drove it 1/10 mile, and sold it to his next door neighbor. Turns out the neighbor had told the salesman; "if you ever get one of those in trade, I want it." Willie
Do you have other buckets to change to? My K has the Case Coupler. I've removed it a few times for welding projects, but never to change buckets. Last winter I bought a 12" bucket. I don't see using it for ditches, as everything I dig is 46" deep. My 24" bucket removes material faster. A 46" deep ditch will be at least 3' wide at top. I think in some soils it is possible to dig a trench 42" deep 36" wide at ground level, 12" wide at bottom. A ditch as deep is half again as much volume 24" wide bottom, and 48" width. I can move soil twice as fast with a 24" bucket. By my thinking, I can dig wider faster with 24" bucket. Playing the Devils advocate, I'd need less sand in the narrower ditch, I could restore ground after backfill with less volume spoils easier. Perhaps it makes sense? I would like a wider tooth less bucket for cleaning ditches, and backfilling. I typically dig ditch enough for ten foot lengths of conduit. Without moving the tractor, I can dig, place sand, place conduit, sand, and backfill. I feel there are advantages. Willie
I have an 12 24 and a 36 with no teeth. Im looking to buy a 36 with teeth someday down the road I also have a ripper tooth that can mount to any bucket I have
I have a 12",14",24" and a 36" smooth edge that speeds things up digging large holes. 24" is the best all round bucket. 14" is when I worked for the gas company they wanted that size for ditching. 12" is best in certain soils that don't cave in or your digging for ever getting no where. Some home owners insist on 12" so I have no choice. I do a lot of work for a water utility comp. as well as water districts for repairs so a 36" smooth edge is best. Less chance of damaging pipe and good for bailing out water once you get it shut off.
yeah i like my 36 smooth edge. someday down the road i want a 36 with teeth
1976 580b
#7 that pick of the 580B reminded of what my 1st hoe looked like it was a 1974 .
I had a chance to use the 12" bucket last week. It is a rugged built little snot. A customer waited until last minute to ask, could I dig a ditch? I set to work with 580K and two foot bucket. Scoop after scoop, I couldn't tell if I was making progress. Ultimately, I switched to 12". I was able to scratch through to get below 18" deep frozen ground. I could dig out loose gravel until frozen was undermined. Then I could with a series of lifts weaken the shelf of ice, until it broke, gaining a foot or so each try. I usually travel with a BIG hard head boulder. I can lift the boulder to about 15 feet above, and drop to break frost. This is low stress on the backhoe. I ultimately gave up, and called on a friend with 15 ton excavator. 200 feet of 46" ditch took all day. Willie
I have a ripper tooth I can mount to any bucket I use. IT works good for stuff like this
Other than front fenders that could be my 580 Super M...great machines.
waiting for snow and my other 2 buckets and Frost ripper with my thumb waiting to be put on
Billrog since you have owned a b you will probably remember how much of a pain they are to get in and out of that's why one of the first up grades I did was ad the steps and grab handle in the second picture
#7 your post put a smile on my face when I was looking at the pic. 1st time I was wondering why I couldn't remember steps and a handle. The only mod. I made for the one I had was a handle to unlock the boom I could reach easily from the cab.
I live and work at the Black sea side of the North Caucassus,
yes I am going to do that as well
The 1971 Ford 4500 that I bought for $1400.00
Our 13 M59
Billrog... Great idea for a jib pole! I love it! Very resourceful! +10
TY Plongson I was amazed it worked so well at the time but it was a lot of trips for me on and off the machine and up on the roof . That was 1990.
Had a bit of a scare back then when plowing snow was heading down my driveway around a corner and couldn't slow down. A cinch I had on the floor of the machine jammed the throttle wide open. Had a neighbor with a skidder pull me back up on the rd.
One of today's stumps.
I can't figure it out...things like that were much easier in 1990...LOL I don't feel older but my body sure does.
I believe I have a case 580 b series 35 backhoe tractor. I also think it's a 580 bck model I'm redoing the hydraulic cylinder pistons and seals. What do you all think check out the paint job woo hoo . A good woman can't get between a man and his hoe
I had to drop in a used motor the seat pedestal needs work. I've rewired the dash it has just a push button start no key. I eliminated that. Or rather age did it. It moves good in low speeds but will not climb a hill in fast gear.
I want to thank everyone who made post to this site. Phil I'm sorry I never got to know you. I assume you have passed on .hopefully we will be able to keep your info as a legacy to you. Mike
Installed my 4 in 1 . Im running out of upgrades todo it has almost every feature case had for this machine extendahoe quick coupler 4 in 1 aftermarket thumb... I think its complete
Awesome! I'll be adding forks to my 580K 4x4 Extendahoe soon, can't wait!
I love my 4 in 1 Looks like you still need 4X4 ?
these models did not have 4wd
I wasn't looking for 4X4... Just Cab Extendahoe and 4in1 But it had 4x4... I'm lucky , Cause I've needed it more than I thought I would. I thought yours looked about the same as mine.
Mine is a lot older 4x4 is nice but 2wd works just as good
I believe torque converter is much more essential than 4 wheel drive. My 580K is 4 wheel drive, only in very sloppy conditions does it get engaged. Walk up to a gravel bank with a clutch tractor, unless it belongs to someone else, and you don't care about the clutch, you dig two holes getting the bucket full. Next bucket, the bank moved a bit. Now you have to crawl up out of the holes to fill the bucket. With torque converter you don't have to dig the holes at all. Tire chains are my most important accessory, could not get through winter, or woods work without them. Look for a very heavy object to easily scoop up in the back bucket. I have two boulders. One barely fits in the back bucket, If I could find a lead ball 20" in diameter I'd prefer it. I scoop up a monster boulder in the front bucket when digging with the backhoe. Extra weight improves the behavior noticeably. Willie
tire chains work wonders I have a set for the winter months. I just plowed a 36 + inch snow storm not to long ago with no chains . I have a video on youtube
I got a hoerake to go with my thumb so I won't beat up my buckets moving rock anymore. It works great!
This was pre rake, not having the bucket sides in the way is really nice for loading and placing the rocks.
My own 2001 and the 2006/2011 I operate day to day at work. All 4stick case.
I am very close to TRANSPORTING my backhoe ... That mean$ maybe I can WORK IT... I've gotta buy some chains. and register and insurance... Then I have some jobs lined up that pay "ZERO" . Gotta Fly... .
A very familiar photo, I have the same backhoe, My trailer has six tires instead of 8. Truck is a different manufacturer, but the same color. Willie
Hey Willie, This has been a LONG TIME COMING... Remember when I was getting that Truck and trailer from AZ... Blew the water jacket before I crest the mountain... Detroit 6V92 Lost a lot of money on that... bout 12K after the dust settled. . Gotta Fly...
Pier damolition, had to fly there
Been busy repacking cylinders on luckydogs 580e . ALSO installed his fancy quick coupler.
My 580k non turbo 4x4. Phase 1 with 4 lever stick control. She's probably seen better days but does me fine.
Just can't beat having your own Backhoe !!! Looks like a clean machine.
Mine is, (I guess) the same vintage. Mine is Extenda Hoe, I have converted it to JD joystick control, and I have a cab with heat, AC is less important in VT. Last Saturday my son and his groupie, (my age) were moving firewood. We have a hard rule here: NEVER MOVE THE BACKHOE WITH THE DOOR OPEN!!!!! I was busy with my taxes. I wasn't there to remind. Destruction was absolute! All components of the door with exception of the bottom door glass were demolished. The bottom hinge on the cab was pushed back about an inch. Somehow he embedded tree bark in the grease fittings of the rear bucket. The hoe is none the worst for wear. I haven't yet found the injured tree.
that's why MOST won't let people LEARN with their equipment
He's 23, his buddy is 59. The learning process began 15 years ago. He's a contestant for biggest know it all in the world. It's a long story.
new front rubbers. it might not be a 4wd but it looks better and heavier tires
Nice looking old C there. She likely still has a lot of life left in her.
Thank you I gotta finish the front bucket and it should be 100 %
I just reversed my cutting edge on the loader bucket... It was about to start wearing on the bucket edge ....Nice and straight now. Nice option to be able to turn it around. Looks like yours could use it ? Hard to see it clear enough to tell... . Gotta Fly... JAM PS Second look at it , I'm not seeing the Bolts/Nuts for the cutting edge...
I have a new cutting edge for it that needs to be put on
Jerry (luckydog) 580e. And my 580c
No tree is safe with a Backhoe w/4in1 bucket... . Gotta Fly... JAM PS I save the big stumps in an area... Go over and pick them up and drop them , shaking off more dirt. They are good in an outdoor fire pit with regular firewood. The stump will burn ALL WEEKEND.
I envy you the front bucket. I deal with big rocks all the time. I dig them out with the hoe. Getting a big rock into the bucket is SO frustrating. I push them around, they usually find a way to escape. I think engineers screwed up. The hoe, and bucket should both be on the same end. Then they could be broom, and dustpan.
Sometimes helps to bump into the rock, dump the bucket a little, toss a chain around the rock down low and curl it back to pull the rock into the bucket. Or just dig a pit next to said rock and send it down deep.
getting it dirty it needs a bath now
Hope you wipe your feet when climbing in and out )
I actually do get my boots somewhat clean to go in. are you saying its too clean? Lol
Keeping mud out of the cab is impossible for me no matter how hard I try haven't installed a boot brush yet but its on my list.
I simply take my boots off, and work with sleepers on
No H&S Nazis on your sites so........................
Happy 4th
My new SuperE 4x4. First piece of heavy equipment. Like a kid on Christmas.
Is this the one with removable hoe? I was at the point of writing the check for one like yours, but with cab. I was 200 miles from home, the seller wouldn't trust a check. We were across the road from his bank, I proposed we walk over there and do a wire transfer. He refused. Cash only. I couldn't see an extra 400 miles. I didn't buy it. Since, I've had a JD 410, and two Case 580Ks. Likely, you'll have a few bugs to work out, then it'll be a great tool. Willie
Did he have proof of ownership ? Probably stolen somewhere. I am just real wary of sellers like that.
He was the snot nosed kid of a reputable fellow who had run a used equipment yard many years. The old man had just retired, turning his business over to Junior. Coincidentally, I had another bad experience with this A__ hole a couple years later. I had written a check in the amount of asking price for a bulldozer. The seller said he was losing a long battle with brain cancer, selling off his toys. This jerk pulled into the driveway with truck, trailer, and cash. The seller was very apologetic, but cash would be hard for IRS to trace. I wonder how much of the "dealer's" income gets claimed to IRS? Willie
this is my backhoe as im getting her ready to go back together
nice co pilot
Yeah, she loves it...
Got some forks,...
nice did you order them from titan ?
Yes, came FedEx and had the hooks welded on,
nice I ordered stuff from them as well.. I have a thumb on my 580c from them
Mine too,...
32 or 36?
32 extreme thumb I think,...
Gave it some nom noms this morning
Lets see them machines guys
Nice machines guys. Here is my new to me 1973 Dynahoe 190. I haven't used it much yet but it appears to be a very tough machine. The guy I bought it from had got it running after it sat for many years. There is still a few small problems I need to fix but she should be moving dirt in a couple weeks. I bought it clear bush, dig ponds, and build roads on my property.
nice machine you got there
I love Dynahoes! They are BIG, powerful, and sound SO COOL!
Thanks guys. Yup that 353 Detroit sure screams!
Fresh fluids filters and all greased up. Ready for more work. 4 more machines to service
My lovely SLE...
My 580K, best tool I ever bought!
New paint can do wanders on an older machine.
pretty deere when I painted my case I never wanted to use it again lol older pic it now has a 4 in 1 and newer front tires
Those spooky Russians
what an awesome idea! how long would it take to heat the water?
I don't know. I do know a couple who own a hot tub equipped with a snorkel stove. The wooden hot tub holds about 3000 pounds of water. In winter well water is about 50 F. You'd want it about 100F. A pound of water needs about 1 BTU to warm 1 degree F. 150,000 BTU. A good snorkle stove is able to heat at a rate of about 50,000 BTU per hour. Three hours should do it. You want a good water supply. Filling a 360 gallon tub taxes a well.
No problem we got plenty of time. smb in charge looks after fire Farther on the right you can see smoke there we cook a fish stew
there it sits with the rest of the fleet
Oops. No hard feelins
Heres an International 270a I picked up last year. Had antifreeze in the oil so I rebuilt the engine. just got it running 2 weeks ago. painted the engine compartment while the engine was out. repacked one loader bucket cylinder yesterday before the rain hit. Still a lot to do but its coming along. Check out the youtube video series of its progress.
nice project
Very nice paint job on that engine...........looks like new!
Lookin good.
It is good when hands come from right spot
looking for parts for my 1969 DYNAHOE 140 would love to get it going it was a present for my Wife!
This is Nessie, my 2009 JD 310J. Picked her up about a month ago, has about 3200 hours on her. She is 4WD with a 24" bucket and Extendahoe. She was used and abused as a rental in her former life but seemed to have come through without too many battle scars. Had rented backhoes a few times but decided it was time to get one to keep on our property, endless projects ahead.
My son loves trucks and backhoes he is having a blast on our newly bought 1969 Dynahoe 140.
My youngest son dubbed a 1940 Farmall M "Lindsey" after Lindsey Vonn, the skier. "Why", I asked. A: Because she is big and beautiful. In 1940 big, and beautiful had a different meaning, but by the late 1960's Dynahoe fit the bill. I love them, a big part of the mystique is the Detroit Diesel engine. No engine will ever sound as powerful as a Detroit!
Willie, my hearing is just the opposite. Nothing sounds more powerful than a big bore long stroke 4 cycle diesel engine moving 80K lbs of weight from a stop at 600 rpms and shifting up.
Well done man. JD is reliable stuff. A friend of mine has a JD325, he bought it new it is 8 years old now and has round 8000h run. Never had a big problems with it. It is just a little slow to operate.
xgiovannix12 , I'm interested in how you attached that thumb to the 580c extendahoe? I was looking at mine and couldn't think of a good way to do it...
i have videos of it on youtube... https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMM44TtsA7VMTeVZB8yYmVA?view_as=subscriber
Just integrated an super M controller into my 580c red button will be my shuttle disconnect and black will be my 4 in 1 bucket and a fresh set of king pins.
I'm loving it!
I'll offer pictures, measurements, or a test drive if you are close enough.
I gotta have modern technology
If you have a moment could you send me a few pics of the thumb? I'd like to add one to my 580D
She old , ugly , worn out, currently undergoing and engine rebuild and repair as well as a reworking or the loader pivots.... but’s she’s loved and she’s paid for lol
1984 John Deere 310
Changed front bucket penetrating tips for a blade. Made it out of old rail road lower part of a rail. B\c mostly I work on the city streets and it will clean the mess better.
Middle part of a rail put on rear part of a jaw
Lots of utilities put in recently with the case 580k 4x4 extendahoe- electrical conduit, sewer line, water line, all at the new shop. The $350 I paid for two buckets (12” trencher and 42” muck bucket) have paid off many times over
Utterly unrealistic! I don't see cigarette butts, or tobacco spit. Clearly an imposter! Every used machine I've ever looked at needed a hazmat team to pressure wash it first.
Made a doz. of these and gave them away here's my neighbor's son a few years ago he dug up half the yd.
Here's my 1972 Dynahoe 190
I had one, not worth it.
This is a great thread and over here in Australia we rather like our side-shift machines' which in the case of CASE emanate from Europe.
If the unit is designed to have it and you have any want or need or just have a preference and availability then go fer it. Strapped to the back of a MF40 TLB ? not so much
Six years ago this machine was the prior role equivalent. Can it be six years? I think daylight saving must have erased one month from our year for it to feel 'just the other day'; Then again it is true!
My "new" loader. 1971 MF50A as far as I can tell: It came with some issues but we are working toward resolution. Many of the hoses are still 47 years old. After bursting one on the hoe I replaced all the loader hoses inside the cab. I could not imagine sitting in the cab with an explosion of hot hydraulic oil. Lots of pedals and levers. Could use some real tractor tires as well: But she digs! The earth will be moved...
Not sure of years, but it surely got no more 4000h work
Not mine but I operate it.
I bought this 580D from a buddy of mine who's dad passed. His dad had Dementia and for some reason started randomly tearing machines apart. I brought this thing home in buckets and bought a manual and started putting it back together. Its a great machine and and has a ton of power. 4-1 and extenda hoe. Wife is operating it in this picture for the first time. This small hole is about 45 minutes work.
Welcome to HEF, Darin ! Thanks for posting the photos. You had quite a project that turned out well.
Thank you. I am doing an In frame overhaul next week on the 207D motor. Its eating itself up right now, down on power and burning oil. (this started after it shut itself down while digging ) I figure its a product of neglect and sitting for so long. Should be back to full power in no time.
The Case in the background I sold this spring. I miss it, it had a sweet thumb. J D near impossible to build a functional thumb. John Deere is VERY difficult to access anything you need to work on. Still it is advanced beyond the case of close age.
Willie, I know it is quite pricy, but Amulet does make a hoeclamp for your machine. https://equipmentland.com/product/amulet-hoeclamp/
Not often wife is happy with the hoe!
Farm girls love hoes.
Sawed down and dug this one up next to my dad's house. I had planned on just sawing it close to grade, but went ahead and dug it. Took me 1:15 to get it done.
I'm softening. I've seen an amulet. The one I saw is owned by a near town road crew. I talked to them they had nothing good to say. My sense is that Amulet is for gripping brush, not rocks.
Just spent the last hour going through this thread. Lots of really nice rigs in here, obviously operated by those doing it for a living. I’m glad to see there is still plenty of love for old iron like mine too.
Well I found this thread, I haven't quite made it completely through all the posts and pictures yet. But I figured I'd post my old backhoe. I believe it is a 1964(ish) Wain-Roy BR100 Bronco. It's built on a David Brown 990 Skid, 4 cylinder diesel about 50-something hp. Needs work, but I've did enough to use it on a job demolishing a house. It definitely beats demoing a house by hand.
It's certainly not something you see every day but if it works it for sure beats doing things by hand.
I just noticed the levers on your left operating the hoe, or did I. Yours looks to be a convertible to skip loader model. Curious. My son bought a 580B that is backhoe only. I dug one hole with it. The three lever control would take some getting used to.
those are actually the levers for running the box blade. When you remove that to install the hoe the levers stay with the box blade. If you think a 3 lever control takes some getting used to, the hoe that I have is a six lever control. One for each side stabilizers, one lever for swing, boom, crowd, bucket.
That's considered 4 lever control and was quite popular on several brands. 2 lever controls were often an option. Stabilizers aren't moved when digging so don't count.
The 580K I just sold came to me with three lever (plus two for stabilizers) and foot swing. 580 K was notorious for fast, sudden, unpredictable swing. With foot swing it became treacherous. To me, it seemed like a delayed reaction when I stopped swinging, I pretty much had to counter with the other foot to end a swing. I converted it to extend a hoe & joystick SAE control.
Wonder if the foot swing in 100yd. draglines is a little better? Watched a show about the Silver Spade stripping shovel. It could swing up to 25 MPH with a 105yd. bucket!
Did you ever try changing the adjustment of the swing sequence valve ? They are notorious for a stupid fast swing speed.
Rebuilt them on both 580K machines I owned. The joystick controls it was manageable. Foot swing, it was NOT! The plumbing gives priority to one side of the six section valve. While there are feathering grooves in the valve spools, ending a priority function suddenly supplies more volume to the down valve functions. At one time Case offered flow restrictors to limit swing speed. They are NLA. There was a change to bigger bore swing cylinders. It takes a bit longer to fill a bigger cylinder, I'll guess it made swing less jumpy.
It is my hope its swing was a bit less jumpy, I also hope it didn't dig along a building wall. Or the dreaded trusting bystander who assumes I can control within a 1/4" tolerance. Worst ever is the antique tractor pulls. I'm moving two 800 LB blocks to the boat. I have "helpful" people swarming, feeling they NEED to "help". At beginning of a pull we have a safety speech. I explain the power of hydraulics, and the less than perfect controllability. I ask that they do not touch until I get the blocks within 6 inches of where they need to be placed. My speech ALWAYS falls on deaf ears. Three or four times a day I have to stop all motion, explain that swing from the chains is dangerous. Please stand back until the blocks are close. Unfortunately, the people who should be there guiding blocks are driving tractors. The self appointed helpers are NEVER those capable of helping.
We the local group FBO the volunteer fire department had no pull last year. The year before, we had a not old 6 ton New Holland excavator take the place of my old backhoe for setting blocks. I was delighted how nice the controls were. Swing seemed as mellow as other functions.
If I remember correctly, swing sequence valve slows the swing by limiting flow volume as it approaches the stops either end of the swing. I feel (working from memory) the adjustments in it are affecting end of travel left & right, not center. There are parts in it that are exposed to weather. Rusty springs, valve balls blocked by rust were rendering both 580K tractors non functional.
A third JCB 1CX has joined the team Only 230 hours on the clock! For the larger jobs I have the Haulotte Multijob!
That JCB looks super clean. The Haulotte turns like an track excavator? That's quite the setup. I think you have it covered!
Hi JL. The Haulotte has 4 wheel steer. You can select one axle only to steer, both axles to steer and turn tight and crab where both axles turn the same direction. It's amazingly manoeuvrable for its size. Much better than a conventional backhoe even at 11 tonnes.
Just the extra swing is a great feature. Is the JCB quite heavy on the back end, wondering if it makes fine levelling difficult?
Great stuff.
That Haulotte is my dream come true! I've always said a backhoe has the hoe on the wrong end. Think broom & dustpan, both would be useless if attached to opposite ends of the broomstick.
Levelling is the same as any wheeled skid steer, you've got to develop the technique as the slightest bump or depression will bounce you off level. However the machine did come with a level bar which you can grab with the 4in1 bucket. Makes levelling much easier, faster and covers a wider area than the bucket width.
Hi Willie. Yeah, it's a shame they didn't get more of these Haulottes made and out there working. They are fantastically versatile and powerful. There is no single machine which can come close to the capabilities of the Haulotte Multijob. The problem with too many buyers of earthmoving equipment is they look at the price before capability.