Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Pin grabber questions

roadrunner81 ยท 2019-11-15 19:20

Good Day All, I have an old excavator that I am trying to finish a wedge style pin grabber for. I first thought of using some acme rod to actuate the wedge using a cordless impact but the other day I had another thought. Maybe I could use my pilot pressure to operate wedge, this circuit maintains 700psi at all times so if I used a 3" bore cylinder I would be looking at 4900lbs of lateral force applied to wedge to retain bucket. I would like to know if you guys think that's enough to safely retain a bucket on a 240 size hoe? Also correct me if my math is wrong.

Replies2
  1. #1Theweldor2019-11-15 20:13

    I would think that would be plenty of pressure. You should also try to incorporate some heavy duty springs into that also to have no chance of it coming loose when not wanted.

  2. #2td15c2019-11-15 20:41

    I have esco pingraber on a 2700q that runs on pilot pressure it works great . I also have a JRB coupler on a 9030b that runs on full machine pressure.I Like the pilot pressure operated better because the hoses on the high pressure give me more problems