Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Pin Position

bill5362 ยท 2010-03-21 22:19

I was wondering what pin position do you use on your hydraulic detachable trailers. We have a loadking HDD-503 and we use the 38" postion and usually don't haul more than 110,000 and have never had an issue with scaling the weight. Who uses the 16" position and why.... I don't we can turn a little sharper with the 38" position. Thanks Bill

Replies4
  1. #1muzy2010-03-23 09:24

    I found I would use diff. pin depth when using a tandem jeep. Other than that it is nice too keep things shorter for turning. muzy

  2. #2Will Musser2010-03-23 20:48

    The forward pin position is for using a 4 axle truck or a truck with a long 5thwheel slider. It gives a longer neck on the trailer to let you put the weight farther forward on the truck and thus make better use of the heavy frontend, and to not loose too much weight on the steer axle when the lift axle is down. Essentially helps you adjust where your center of gravity is on the truck.

  3. #3bill53622010-03-24 20:44

    Thanks Muzy & Will Musser for the information, I don't any experience with 4 axle trailers. This makes a lot of sense I had always assumed it was for pushing the weight forward I was just wondered. Thanks Bill

  4. #4rigandig2010-03-29 08:01

    Another use would be to shift weight to the back if you found yourself loaded heavy on the front/drives, no crane available, and the load was not mobile/powered (as in a crated piece) But generally they are for longer sliding 5th wheels found on 4 axle tractors or jeep usage.