Does anyone know where i can get a used manual pin press....ive seen wtc and their presses start at 10grand!!! Thats freakin ridiculous! If anyone knows where i can get one much cheaper than that let me know,please. Ive been doing alot of undercarrige work here lately and im tired of the torch and hammer method..lol.
Here is one of 3 reasons i need a pin press!!!
I wonder if a guy could make one? Weld something up and use a bottle jack or porta power. I feel a winter project coming on. :yup
ive heard of people making them but it takes anywhere from an 80 to 100 ton press and im not sure where to find one of those.
I got tired of beating on the master pins with a sledge.We use a 6 inch diameter hydraulic cylinder to push pins out.I lays on the ground & gets chained to the grouser pads.have adapter that fits on the rod end of the cylinder thats just a little smaller than the master pin.Use a farm tractor to work the cylinder.Some times on a stubborn pin I will still put some heat on the rail boss.Yep, you could make one,find a cylinder & a little fab work in the shop biulding the adapter .
Not on topic but I got a kick out of your name " Plan B " lol, maybe watch the auctions for a press
You got a picture of that?
I'll get some pictures of it EGS.It works good,I'll throw them down in the shop talk section.
catchy isnt it...lol ive been checkin out ebay and what not and havent seen one yet. i have found some 100ton jacks and hand pumps and they are around 2000 for both which is much cheaper than 10000 I think ill make one once i get all the parts and when i do....i post some pics of it and maybe sell a few if they work good. :beatsme
Yair...Ever thought about a jelly gun? They work good and a lot quicker to set up than a press. Bit noisy but.
I'm in the process of making one now also - have to fit an idler to a PC270 on monday or tuesday - so hope to have it ready for then as i'm trying to make it in between other jobs - using a 60t porta power & hoping it will be enough....... Always done the job with heat & hammer before, as you all know it's hard yakka. I'll take some photos - especially if it works!
Hey Scrub Puller, I misplaced my Aussie to American dictionary again; what is a jelly gun?
Yes, but he might want to put the pin back in later. Be kind of hard to round up the pieces and get them back in one piece.
Plan B, I class myself as an old man now I am nearly 55, I have all the track press service tooling, but I still prefer to split Master pin track groups with the hammer, some sites will only permit hydraulic pressing, so I stick it to them on the bill ( charge big) for most pins I use a 14lbs hammer in the one arm and hold the drift with the other plus a good heat up as required, usualy things start to go my way after a few good shots and the task is done in just a few moments, for bigger pins on 35'000kgs kit and over I often use a 28lbs hammer with a jig drift bolted to the chain, heating up an amount then send some sharp punishment home with the " Big Hammer " has never yet failed to shift things as I needed, the press gear is a right fiddle to set up as the weight is about 200lbs for the big set and takes some setting, my thought is get someone on the heat and perfect your aim with the hammer, dont waste your coins on something you can sort of do without, I do most of this work by myself but if someone is any use stood about I get them helping, another thing you might find handy is a small chain with G style hook on both ends and a shortening claw (clutch) on 1 hook end, I then place a hook at both sides of a track plate clipped to dig in to grouser, then shorten the chain using the claw then use a lever lift ( pull lift ) hitched to the bucket or arm to control the top slack in the track as required. Very best of luck in all you do tctractors p.s. Try Bignozzie
How about an Enerpac and a cylinder like the link below, all you would have to do is make the jig to hook to the rail. Bill http://cgi.ebay.com/ENERPAC-HAND-PU...ic_Hydraulic_Valves_Parts&hash=item5d2c330687 http://cgi.ebay.com/ENERPAC-100-TON...eumatic_Hydraulic_Valves_Parts&hash=item5d2c3
That is what we do here. My mechanics have made a "C" frame out of 2 1/2" plate, and it will span the 26" pads on a Cat 375. We use the 100 ton Enerpac ram along with a variety of pins to push out any size track pin. We can do it without even removing a pad in most cases. It will not do the Cat PPR tracks. You need 200 to 300 ton press for them, and my "C" frame would not hold up to that. The 100 ton flexes it slightly. When you make a jig to hook to the rail, make sure it is strong enough and well hooked. Things go really wrong in a hurry when something slips loose with 100 tons on it. It is a good way to get hurt or dead if not done properly. We had a 50 ton ram slip while pullling an equalizer bar pin on a D-9R. When it came loose, it broke a hole in the transmission case several feet away. If a man was in the way, it would have been ugly.
Thats my plan, once i get the money to buy it....those items may not be right for the job because i dont know if that pump will push a 100ton cylinder and that cylinder doesnt look like a 100ton to me. But that is my plan! Thanks.
Just want express my respect using a 200 ton press ...Makes me want to move to a different zip code...
That pump, or any Enerpac pump will push any of their rams to the rated pressure if it is in good condition. The pumps are rated to develop 10,000 PSI. The rams get bigger in diameter as the capacity goes up. They are all rated to make their rated capacity at 10,000 PSI. The ram in the link looks like a 50 ton to me If you do it much, the powered version is better. Here are some: http://cgi.ebay.com/ENERPAC-PUJ1200.../320617740309?pt=BI_Pumps&hash=item4aa64e7815 This one has a ram and power pac. Good deal. http://cgi.ebay.com/Enerpac-PA-1021...ic_Hydraulic_Valves_Parts&hash=item2a0b59307d Air powered http://cgi.ebay.com/enerpac-pem1521.../280588830156?pt=BI_Pumps&hash=item415465c5cc Electric http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=En...ac+pump&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313 Some 100 ton rams, and a 50 ton poser The hollow rams let you pull as well as push
Plan B... I was just showing some examples of the enerpac's I have seen several for sale on ebay in the past..
Yair...hey mitch. Our jelly guns were a piece of solid steel...say eight or ten inch shafting about three foot long with a blind hole up the guts to take (say) a two inch dolly with one end turned down a little smaller than the pin size. There was a cross drilling of course for the det. wires or fuse. There were also handles so a couple of blokes could lift it into position. The set up position was on the ground at the idler. I was looking after nine G's pushing sand and we were only getting six or seven hundred hours out of a set of rails. Two or three inches of jelly was all that was needed and most times the pin would hang up in the inner link and was (relitively) moved the last bit with a hammer and drift. As I posted on another thread they were quite effective on ducks when loaded with stub ends of electrodes from the welding shop...or ball bearings.
Well, I guessed wrong, didn't I. That is quite a novel way to drive a pin.
I have an OTC 100 ton pin press/ sprocket puller if your still in need of one or anybody else
jdofmemi, do you have pictures of your device and does the top of the pad hold the opposite end from the cylinder and if so doesn't the pad crumple up from the tons of pressure or did I totally miss the explanation there. I'll admit it any day of the week, I need pictures to understand because if I understood scrub puller he uses explosives to blow pins out?? or again did I not understand. I've tried several times to make just what you described but it hasn't worked yet, we either bend the c frame or the pad or it won't press it straight and just sends the cylinder sideways and slips off.
Randy Mine is big enough to surround the pad without touching it. I can't find any pictures of it. I will have to take some next time it is out. Mine is 2" or 2 1/2" plate, with a piece of 3/4" plate for the press ram to set against. On the other end is a piece of 3" or 4" very heavy wall pipe that we have several different ends machined to fit into. It is very important that everything is in perfect alignment. If not, when you get a lot of pressure, the ram will kick out to the side and bend everything. Picture a giant "C" clamp, but instead of a threaded rod, I have a 100 ton ram. The back side of the "C" is about 18". The plate started out as a 4' X 4' piece. we cut out a deep enough "C" to clear the pad and rail on a 375 Excavator or a D-9 Dozer and allow the ram to center up, without resting on the pad. Cutting out the minimum for this left the most material for the back, where the strength is. We put a lift eye on it where it will hang levgel with the ram bolted on. It is probably 500 to 600 pounds, so manhandling it is out of the question. Even that heavy, it flexes when the ram strains. By then, it is time to hide behind something solid. Well, I decided to try a drawing of it. I attached it as a pdf. I hope that helps. I think you are right about scrubpuller. I do a lot of things people think are nuts, but that is beyond my courage level. Now if I seen it done in person once I may change my mind.
Thanks Jerry, the drawing helped greatly, I'm more of a visual learner than a textbook one. I really appreciate the response and the explanation, I've tried several attempts to make it work but up till now they were all not a success.