Any ideas, suggestions? I own 3 forklifts and a 14' flatbed truck, and rent the property (store-like setting)... The area that I keep my equipment is fenced in, but not covered. Landlord is willing to "help" me financially build some protection for my equipment, so I'm trying to come up with some affordable ideas to keep the rain, sun, and dew off my stuff. Of course, if it were my property, I'd be willing to spend a little more... One challenging part is that when my truck-mounted forklift is mounted, it's about 13' tall... and of course, itd be nice to not have to dismount it just to park it. Biggest weather challenge to structures in these parts are the occasional hurricanes... 70 mph winds or such. No snow challenges. Tin, fiberglass, cloth, etc?:beatsme Ideas, thoughts, examples, pics?
my equipment doesn't have an inside job.
yea, mine hasn't either... but I'm flirtin with these ladies trying to keep them lookin nice... Right now mine do full time sun and rain, and work part time... I'd like to keep the wear down to part time too.
Right now mine do full time sun and rain, and work part time... I'd like to keep the wear down to part time too.[/QUOTE] Here Too. However was doing a little P.M. and noticed bubbled paint and pitting around bottom of engine door at the gasket. Picked up paint yesterday. $#%@ Tall metal carports, like what home RV's are parked under. however their probably not good in heavy wind(but nothing really is)cheap and quick.
cann't help with the 13' mark but you could buy used shiping containers. Their sealed and you can lock up you'r equipment at the end of the day. Not to expensive too. You can find a 40 ft one for around 2,000 bucks
Mine don't play well inside, they aren't potty trained yet... shipping containers should work good, and you'll be able to take them with you when you move on. See if you can find some scrap bar joists from a metal building manufacturer or demo job tack weld them to the containers put on some cheap sheet metal roofing and your home free, you can stack 2 containers and get the height you want too.
Thanks.... interesting ideas.
Some of my bigger machines have never met the shop yet... They might be traded before ever being put in a building. All repairs or maintenance get field performed. But I do understand what you are saying about the sun weathering machines. If it's not your property, don't waste the money on a building.
depends on what you want to spend. Marinas have those big tents but they are expensive and then may end up with building code problems.
If your thinking about putting everything in a container make sure a side loader cant roll up and pick everything up. In the time it takes you to go and get smoko (10min) they could load up a container and you would never know untill its too late.
Check out http://www.farmtek.com They have many different styles of metal and tension fabric buildings and roofs, ranging from 10'x10' to 300' clear-span by as long as you can afford! Some are designed to be able to mount on shipping containers or pony walls. For what you described I'd think you'd want one in the $3-6K range. Many of the fabric covered ones have a 15 year warranty on the cover. Order their catalog, and then you won't spend as much time drooling on your keyboard... Ben~
I second the farmtek tension fabric buildings
thanks guys, I'll look at the Farmtek products. My (business) neighbor sells Graceland buildings/covers... and I priced a 30x30 welded truss, cover with sides.... about $4500. These type covers may give me the option to take them with me if needed in future. Again, my landlord is supposedly interested in helping out financially... not sure how much help he has in mind... guessing he's waiting for me to throw out a proposal. Container idea... not sure my relatively tall and 8' wide forklifts would fit, and I'm thinking they would get so hot here that they wouldn't work well in the summer. But I appreciate the idea. Just for kicks, I'll try to post a pic of the area and (my little) equipment.
Here's what I'm working with. The green/yellow forklift is usually mounted on the back of the flatbed, making it almost 2' taller than it is sitting on the ground. (of course, I could take it off every time to park it, but would rather not.)
Move them up to MN. We can cover them with 2' of snow. really works good to save on the sun fade.lol
What's snow?
paint
For cheapness I'd go with a couple of the metal carport covers. Not very hurricane proof, but they will do great keeping the sun and weather off the equipment.
Yea... still kinda weighing the options here. Slow time of year for us, and reluctant to spend too much money this early in the winter. I've been using a tarp to cover the cab areas of my machines to help keep the weather off of the seats and controls anyway.... I appreciate the input... wish I were a good carpenter... just slap something up there myself... but I ain't. One of my laborers claims to be... might have to give him a shot at it. Steve
WE WERE IN THE BASEMENT BUSINESS AND HAD SETS OF FORMS. NOT MANY BASEMENTS BEING BUILT SO WE PUT THE FORMS TOGETHER AND BUILT A HUGE SHEAD WITH THEM. mAKES A GREAT SANDBLASTING SHELTER TO.
Thanks... what's a basement?