Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

pin replacement

raypan ยท 2025-08-26 08:24

Hi guys, I am going to be replacing the pin that connects the boom and dipper on my case 580C and was wondering if there is a specific position to put the backhoe in in order for the 2 sections to stay together after i remove the pin.I do not have the equipment to remove the bushings so I am going to replace the pin, 2 shims and 2 washers as well as the snap rings. Any advice? thanks in advance, Ray

Replies2
  1. #1SlatcoAu2025-08-26 16:51

    I would say if you stretched it out horizontal to the ground and securely blocked up the boom and stick, you could knock the pin out without the two pieces coming apart too far. Assuming you have it reasonably secured. Maybe a ratchet strap or chain/boomer between the stick and dipper - once the pin moves easy (lol) you know there is no tension on it..

  2. #2raypan2025-08-26 16:59

    thank you,and yes, once i can move the pin easily, the new one should slide in without much separation.It will take some preliminary thinking,,lol,,thanks again