Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Please help identify these grinding…… wheels???

Thoughtbuilds ยท 2016-02-28 01:10

Hello I purchased a large quantity of the wheels at auction and I have no idea what they are for or who uses them. Any information would be very appreciated. They assemble with the plastic hub pictured and there is a rubber gasket between the two and the void in the grinder cup is filled with a steel plate. I've spent forever searching on Google and can't seem to find anything similar.

Replies12
  1. #1RonG2016-02-28 03:31

    Is that all you bought?Did you buy anything else?What made you think that you needed those or could use them?How do they connect to the tool that powers them?I think a lot of us would like to know what they turn out to be when you find out.Ron G

  2. #2Thoughtbuilds2016-02-28 03:57

    Well I buy lots of stuff at auction but nothing else related to these. These were in pallet sized crates 10 wheels per box direct from ferro filtros division in new york. There were only a couple examples assembled as pictured. I honestly had no idea how I would use them or why I wanted them besides they seemed way to cheap and seemed to be an interesting puzzle. If for grinding then how can they mount to their device with such a low quality hub? Seems the plastic would wear rather quickly. But the bolt threads directly into the hub and all parts fit together snugly in the assembled unit so it seems to be assembled correctly. I will post a picture of the box the wheels are packaged in hopefully that may shed a little more light on this mystery.

  3. #3Thoughtbuilds2016-02-28 04:02

    BTW if anyone can help me figure out what these are and is in need of any I'd be happy to send him some for the cost of shipping as thanks for helping me solve my puzzle. The wife is on my butt to get these things out of here. I'm not far off paving my yard with strange grinding wheels.

  4. #4Firemanmike692016-02-28 04:26

    Those arnt grinder wheels, they are gas diffusers or filters. http://filtrosltd.com

  5. #5Thoughtbuilds2016-02-28 04:30

    Sorry for the repeated bumps. I don't know how to edit posts on this forum

  6. #6Scrub Puller2016-02-28 06:14

    Yair . . . Well, the name of the manufacturer is on the box, they may even respond to a polite email enquiry . . . Google is your friend. Cheers.

  7. #7Nige2016-02-28 06:49

    Definitely filters. The clue is in the word "filtros" on the label in one of the photos in post #6. Filtro is Spanish for filter. If I had to speculate based on the rest of the information on the label I would say they were some kind of refractory-type ceramic filter for purifying water, or at least removing fine sediment from it. http://www.b2byellowpages.com/company-information/13337520-filtros-plant-ferro-corp.html

  8. #8old-iron-habit2016-02-28 09:39

    Now you just need a pallet of matching filter canisters to put them in.

  9. #9ben46a2016-02-28 09:55

    Also www.filtrosltd.com

  10. #10Thoughtbuilds2016-02-28 11:45

    First thank for all the help. I must however disaagree. I've been down this path before and if you actually dig into the label you see that it is made by the refractories division of filtros. On their website they claim to make lots of specialty ceramics for various industries and I have seen grinding wheels branded ferro before. just analyze the wheel and hub itself and you can see that they don't seal tightly enough for a gas or water application. The area around the bolt would leak significantly and while there is a small hole next to the threaded center hole I doubt the unit would hold up under significant internal pressures. I can't rule out a type of filter but I can't rationalize how. When I bought these there were tens of thousands of "wheels" in various sized lots. That tells me they go through these rather quickly. They must either be used by government or perhaps the medical field the auction does a lot of kaiser Permanente stuff in addition to go surplus. I suppose contacting ferro is a last resort but I wanted to try to solve this puzzle on my own. I failed at that and so now I want to give those with a similar inquisitive mind the same opportunity. There is no guarantee ferro will answer but I will ask them if no solution can be reached

  11. #11Thoughtbuilds2016-02-28 13:31

    I owe you all my thanks. I have come very close to figuring this out. My current best guess based on the leads provided is that these are defuse for waste water treatment. Similar disc's can be found here http://www.directindustry.com/industrial-manufacturer/disc-diffuser-89724.html Since it was a group effort I'd like to offer anyone interested who has posted some of these diffusers for the cost of postage. (Can you tell I have too may) please just let me know and thank you again for all your insight.

  12. #12kshansen2016-02-28 16:25

    One suggestion would be to use them as pavers, would make a nice walk out to the garden. Or stack them up to make a retaining wall. Where I worked the QC guy for the blacktop plant had to take samples and compress them into what we called "Hockey pucks" for one of the test. There were literally hundreds of these, one of the guys at work came up with the idea of using them as pavers for a walk at home and they worked out pretty nice once set in to some sand base.