Hi Folks, Can anyone tell me what skidder this is? I need make model and serial number of the main hinge pin. Just kidding about the pin. I'd like to know what this is because I have an ... opportunity ... to go on a salvage mission and get the machine. If I can get it off the person's property, I can have it. Soooo... it all comes down to the Benjamins, so I am looking for any information I can find on it. The bicycle is not part of the deal Thanks!
Franklin Skidder of some sort
I don't recognize it from the front and I don't recognize the winch either. Usually the serial number is stamped in the from on the front half frame sometimes in the top left step well of the ladder, sometimes on the back of the front frame on the left side by the center hitch and sometimes on the right side in the top ladder step well. Most of them though used the aluminum stamped tag that was riveted to the frame exactly where it would get worn off in the brush. I've looked at plenty where I never found a serial number.
Front, back, fuel tank and winch do look like a mid 80's franklin. I don't see an exhaust pipe... so am guessing the pipe or manifold is off the motor and probably more....
Franklin...462, maybe? What engine is in it?
Thanks guys. I’m getting more info on it. The engine might be out. Looks like it came with a 6BT. It would probably cost $10-15K to get a new(er) engine in it and shipped to me. Might not be worth it.
A guy I know had one that had a detroit in it...maybe a 4 or 353
Very common with Detroits, but a Cummins was an option in some models.
Reminds me of a Franklin 170 only yellow and not green.
older than a 170, I believe
The serial number should be on the right side as setting in the seat, It was normally stamped into the heavy frame at the back of the cab near the floor line as seen from the outside. Just behind the cab on the rear portion there should also be a serial number stamped into the rear half top heavy plate on the edge. They will match if still original frame sections. Tires look good. Drag it out, throw a 4-53 in it, go logging, and find out what being broke is really like.
I don’t know who’s more broke, the guy running the machine or the guy he sends it to to have it fixed. I swore off rebuilding units to sell a long time ago. It just rarely works out. I’ve been just repairing ever since. The sensible voice in my head is telling me to back off, stick with the safety of repairs. The crazy voice in my head (the one I usually end up listening to) says go grab a 4BT or 453 and run out to the woods and bring that thing home. I’m going to be $20K-$25K into this thing by the time it’s up for sale. They dont seem to be selling for $30K, and I don’t have friends who want to buy log skidders so maybe I ought to leave this one in the woods.
That thing has value if you have an economical way to haul it, and the time and space to part it out. The components are off the shelf and probably fit any number of machines. Only problem is you don't know what works, if the engine is gone, maybe it was good and everything else was shot?
That seems to be the problem with all the used iron industry now days. Unless you have been around forever and know the ins and outs of any specific piece of iron it isn't economically feasible to repair or rebuild for sale. I've floated the possibility of rebuild before and the consensus is that no one will loan money on a rebuild and operators want the newest iron with lots of bells and whistles. The only place I've seen it work on was rare items where new is cost prohibitive. I'm thinking log yarders and such.
All good points. I have someone who will haul it for $2500. That's not bad. I'm going out there in the spring anyway to see some friends. I'll plan on stopping by and putting eyes on it before I commit to anything. If it's just missing an engine, I can deal with that. But if it's missing other major stuff, I'll back off. Of course, there is the question of why the engine is out. Did the engine break, and not get re-installed or did the machine suffer some other major problem and the engine was the only salvageable part? I would buy a 4BT on ebay, make sure it works, and bring it out with me. I'd need to rent a skid steer or something like it to get it to the machine, I'm sure. If the 4BT doesn't get that thing going, take it back out, bring it back home and sell it (not much loss).
That machine would sell for only about $12,000 with a real good engine here. On the other hand a rear end will fetch $3,000 without wheels and tires if someone needs one when the swamps are froze and its go time. Decent tires on wheels will fetch $1,000 apiece but again only when one needs it. Nobody using that old of equipment buys spares just in case.