Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Please recomend tire chains for JD 772D

rshackleford ยท 2011-01-04 19:35

I am looking for tire chains for our motor grader. It is a JD 772D. how many sets of chains should i consider getting? what style, type, brand of chain is good for work in the snow. we will be plowing snow off road and on ice packed gravel surfaces. any advice is welcome. thanks.

Replies8
  1. #151kw2011-01-04 19:53

    We run "Field Style" chains with the X style cross chains on the rear axle of our #12. They seem to work very well without falling between the lugs. We got them from the local farm store. Can still spin them but is a very good balance between power and traction.

  2. #2JTL2011-01-05 00:25

    Try http://www.whitemountainchain.com They are a little spendy, but they sure are good chains. When I worked in the woods plowing snow we ran Trygg studded ladder style chains on the rear, and I would always hang a web style on a front tire for helping around corners.

  3. #3JTL2011-01-05 00:34

    Heres a pic of the 140 I used to run. We always chained up all four rear wheels, and just the one on the front. Since your machine is a 6 wheel drive, considering if you have any switchbacks, or outsloped corners to deal with, you might wanna hang chains on both front tires.

  4. #4rshackleford2011-01-05 09:39

    one of the mechanics brought in a catalog from "Pewag". ever hear of them?

  5. #5JTL2011-01-06 10:30

    Thats a new one to me.

  6. #6MKTEF2011-01-06 15:38

    Pewag is a big German chainmanufacturer. They are most known for chainnets on big production wheelloaders like 990-992 and such. Over here in Norway they are rather expensive... I'd say that the pattern is the most important for u. A pattern as on JTL's grader is very comfortable on the road, and the studs is always in contact with ground. They will never turn/lay on their side when spinning/driving. I'd also say that studs is positive. But i have also positive results with finnish OFA chains. Same pattern but squere steel insted of round, and steel plates instead of studs. I have found the OFA chain to last longer than studs, when diving much on asphalt.(pic: http://www.mamut.net/lilleseth/EASY ON ANLEGG10102005.PDF ) Make a search for my usename, system 2000 in the volvo 900 thread and you will find pics of the OFA chains. On the grader run with 4 chains, two up front and at the first tandem axle. The front wheels chucks the ice so much, i didn't need any on the back. And be aware, quality is important....

  7. #7Dualie2011-01-07 02:39

    Pewag is a highly respected chain manufacturer for lifting and rigging chains in the crane and overhead lifting segments

  8. #8Wrench_one2011-01-16 18:28

    I will have to back the Guys up here. The only tire chains we buy are pewag. They are easy to install and maintain. IMO best value for the money. I have tried other brands and the pewag seems to hold up the best in a heavy duty environment.