Been a while since I've been on here...pretty busy with the farm and livestock this summer. Have a job coming up with a repeat customer wanting me to build a haul road from washout. Because the place is so soft, we plan to bring the material in on taildumps backed into the property and I'll start spreading to make a longer road. I admit I'm green as a new leaf when it comes to spreading material to make a road and man-o-man could I use a couple of pointers from the seasoned hands here.
Its difficult with out seeing it. If soft means wet, you need to get all the wet stuff outa there. The fill needs to be a semi sandyish pit run with rocks, you will need to compact the fill do it every 1 to 1 and half foot. You do not want to put some good fill over nonstructural ground. Meaning you don't want to fill over some black topsoil spreading it thinly. You need to dig to good solid ground then fill it up with the good fill.
You can also lay down the black fabric like they use under rip rap (rock) to help bridge across the wet areas. I've done it a few times and it seems to work pretty good. I would just dump the load out and spread it with the dozer, if the ground is hard enough let the truck back up farther and let the driver spead the stone about 12" think, then blade off with the dozer. This way your not trying to push and entire pile and it should keep most of the stone in the road and not over the sides.
That's what I was wondering how to keep from doing; keep the stone in the roadway. The base is nothing but sand and this time of year (no rain since early June) it's like powder. The only clay is waaay down there (3-4 feet).
With the wash out, it can be tricky. You won't be able to spread with the trucks. It holds moisture, and dries quick then turns to fine concrete dust. Clean your filters out at least every other day! Lay it in thick, mix in some bigger stone 3-8" rip rap pack it . Then cap it with some 3/4 crush. Make it wide enough to straddle track pack ( wheel width and a half.) 3-5 meters What are you using for equipment? Keep every thing in the middle It'll pile out as you progress.