Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ponderings, Baby sized RGN trailer.

fast_st · 2019-11-13 10:16

To the seasoned professionals this will seem silly but I have a 15t deckover trailer with a normal light duty gooseneck hitch and I'll drag that with the F550 or the 350. But I gotta say, driving the dozer/excavator/backhoe/roller up the beavertail onto the deck is .. well it gives me the willies sometimes (don't like heights), and everytime the backhoe comes off, the frame digs into the ground/asphalt unless I get a few 6x6 blocks for it to land on. I was thinking it'd be bitchin to have a 15t drop deck rgn trailer, low loading and transport and a lot easier for the on/off I'm thinking electric/hydraulic to run the neck and it'd most likely want some kind of a kickstand to catch the truck mounted part. It looks like most of the rgn's are all 30T and up or there was one landoll style in a pickup sized gooseneck.

Replies10
  1. #1redneckracin2019-11-13 14:20

    Its probably a cost issue? I like the idea though!

  2. #21693TA2019-11-13 15:44

    There is a farmer around here that has two of the older Landoll "300" series trailers. They are not RGN style, but rather traveling axle types. They are light enough to pull with any one ton truck and gooseneck hitch. These are really slick to use as the deck lifts and the axles pull forward dropping the tail to the ground. I only mention this as I've seen them at sales for less than $10K ready to pull. Here is a video and I had no connection:

  3. #3Tags2019-11-13 17:52

    That's pretty slick, but wouldn't that have air brakes? I would think it'd be hard to find with electric braking so you could tow with a 550 sized truck.

  4. #4fast_st2019-11-13 17:53

    That Landoll does look slick and its got some interesting bits namely that goose neck hitch extender.

  5. #51693TA2019-11-13 18:45

    Air brakes were optional. The guy I mentioned has one with electric brakes, the other has air brakes. Both work slick. Landoll no longer makes that light duty variant however but there are several around the midwest. I plan to build one myself and have a good portion of the needs already including the cylinders for the axle stroking: Brute Trailers out of SW Missouri also builds them in any fashion you would like. I seen a video on line of their traveling axle trailer behind a one ton Dodge pickup. Here is the video but turn the sound DOWN as it is loud..... Another. I've seen these trailers and they are built pretty well:

  6. #6DB22019-11-13 22:07

    Pretty slick. Does anyone make a pintle version or is that not physically possible ?

  7. #74x4ford2019-11-14 06:12

    Just saw this posted on face book this morning

  8. #8Vetech632019-11-14 07:38

    OMG......this thread needs some...……….. AHHHH...……….OK, carry on.

  9. #9Old Doug2019-11-14 20:06

    I have thought about building a gooseneck or bumper hitch with a removeable tongue or neck . What i wanted one for is hauling cars,trucks farm stuff and other things that wouldnt drive there selfs onto a trailer but what holds me back is if a small trailer has a problem its right were the neck joins the floor so it would take alot of thought to make it work. Some other things on a big trailer its the best way to load so time loading is no problem but would it be alot slower of a way to load on a small trailer ? You would need more space to load unload . You would want it so it could be loaded at ether end because it wouldnt always be handy to load something that didnt run unless there was something to move it into place were with a regular trailer you could back up to something and winch it on.

  10. #10gwhammy2019-11-21 17:56

    On those sliding axle trailer do they use rollers or nylon between the steel. On my pintle hitch trailer I put a 6 foot long tail on it with 5 foot ramps. With the air bags down it just clears 215-17.5 tires. Great trailer to load and unload on.