I've got a 9040B, Case built by Sumitomo; It's been posted on here before.. Anyhow, I'm revisiting an issue that I've had since we got it. When its running, the status panel shows an alert and check battery level warning shows up on the status readout. I've had the alternator off and checked, its charging 24 volts. Replaced both batteries, no change. I cant tell if its an issue that the ecm is not reading charge status or maybe a broke wire, hopefully something simple?
If it's in good condition the alternator should be developing somewhere between 26V at low idle and 28V at high idle. 24V sounds far too low to me.
I agree. Seems to low of a charge
its been awhile since I did that, but it seems like the max output he could get out of it on the tester was about 27 volts, the testing guy didnt think that was the issue since I was willing to buy an alternator while I was there. It has a relay behind the batteries that separates and recombines 12 and 24 volts for the different systems. I have no idea how it works. Another thing about that seems trivial, but may have a bearing of the issue; multiple circuits, such radio, one touch throttle and power settings all lose their memory when you kill the machine and then restart it. As if maybe a circuit that should maintain parasitic voltage for memories and the like are not energized?
that sounds better.......if that is the case I would not suspect the alternator. The 24V you mentioned in your OP was IMHO too low. Even if the battery voltage is bang on 24V then you need quite a bit more than that voltage-wise to drive a charge back into them.
Hi I, am no expert on case equipment.but if I understand your post correctly, charge voltage on machine is 24V and on the test bench it is aprox 27V also the charge light is on the monitor panel. it sounds to me that you have a problem with the exciter circuit to the alternator. not knowing the circuit, I cant help but if someone could post a electrical schematic or a link we might be able to help Mark
Some of the Japanese machines had a liquid level sensor that went in one cell of the lead acid batteries, when the batteries get replaced with the sealed ones this wire is usually left hanging loose and the light stays on. That might be what you have going on there.
Is there anything you don't know, Lanway?? LOL. My first thought is the sensor in the battery, too.
Yeah, how to make a buck, and how to keep it, lol.
that would be a sensible solution. but i havnt seen any kind of wire like that in the battery box. i'll check a bit more. the warning buzzer and message screen says "check battery level", that may very well be the issue. thank's and i'll be back........
It'll be there somewhere. The "Battery Level" message is only related to the electrolyte level. If memory serves me, the level sensors on those machines are the "normally open" type. This means you can unplug a faulty sensor to turn the warning off.
it would seem that ya'll have resolved my issue, i havent found any unplugged wires yet, but i got in the parts illustrations and found a "battery electrolyte sensor" as part of the battery and harness illustrations. would anyone know how to bypass it? or do i just need to buy a new sensor? shows to be 24.00 bucks?
If you can find the connector or probe hanging around somewhere, the old ones were single wire and you just connected the wire to ground as I recall. Yours is probably connected to a computer so it's hard to say, might be digital and as Shimmy1 sez you might be able to just unplug the probe?