Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Power Steering Cylinder

poohhill ยท 2014-10-06 23:40

Case Backhoe 480D. Can anybody tell me the secret to get the rod out of the power steering cylinder . I got the snap washer off but don't know how to get rest apart. I pulled the rod up real hard a couple of times just to see if it would come out but nothing seem to give. Maybe you need to pull it out like with a press. I ask the local Case dealer and he would not tell me. He only said that is a secret. Thanks Rick

Replies10
  1. #1Bulldog7772014-10-07 07:05

    Hi Rick Have a look if the cylinder has a small hole at the end of the barrel, if so you will have to turn the gland to expose the end of the retaining wire then pry out and turn the gland at the same time. hope this is of benefit

  2. #2hosspuller2014-10-07 08:12

    ..."I ask the local Case dealer and he would not tell me. He only said that is a secret."... Look for another dealer! My dealer has let me copy pages out of his service manual. His service advice is cheerfully given. That is dealer support.

  3. #3cutting edge2014-10-07 08:27

    Your dealer needs a punch in the throat. I f its anything like a deere cylinder,see if you can tap the gland in and find another snapring in there.

  4. #4poohhill2014-10-07 10:16

    It does look like in the diagram there is another snap ring besides the top one. Not sure how to get at it other then moving the gland down but the gland is really compressed in the cylinder. I will try and take a socket and put over the top and hit it a few times with a hammer but I hope I don't damage it. When I drive it down tho it seems like it will damage the ring. Guess that is why the kit has a new one. Thanks Rick

  5. #5AllDodge2014-10-07 11:59

    Don't know if yours is anything like mine, but have a look it might help or at least give you other ideas. HeavyEquipmentForums

  6. #6lantraxco2014-10-07 13:27

    According to the parts picture there's a snap ring, a spacer and another snap ring. Try working with a magnet and see if you can work that spacer ring out of there. Can't tell if you have to drive the rod gland back in to remove the inner snap ring.

  7. #7melben2014-10-07 18:56

    If it is the later style cylinder it has a smaller snap ring on the gland and a bigger one inside, After you remove the nylon spacer the gland will tap into the cylinder far enough to let you get to the internal snapring on the barrel interior, If you are not careful you will beat up the small snap ring area and will have to file and maybe use a hacksaw blade to try to repair the groove, use as soft a matrerial as possible to place against the gland or if you get the nylon spacer out easily you could tap in the recess to keep from damaging the outer area. I would loosen the pressure hose that goes to that end of the cylinder. The ring that comes out to expose the interior snap ring is made of nylon or a similar material so put your magnet away. O ring picks are your best friend on this job. Once you get both snaprings out you could try to clean the area up to allow the gland to not have to fight debris and rust, I always scraped them with a screwdriver bit to loosen the rust , then use brake parts cleaner to rinse. Wish I had ten dollars for every one of those but don't, still church mouse poor. The earlier cylinder has a plate that covers the gland up that is held by 3 screws, if you have a snap ring off already you do not have an old cylinder. Mel

  8. #8poohhill2014-10-07 22:29

    Ok, looks like Mel is on the right track from what I know buts that is not much. Mel how do you get the nylon spacer out without tearing it up. The kit I got does not have a replacement so it looks like I need to use it over again. hxxp://www.epsstore.com/index.php/backhoe-front-axle/case-2wd-axle-parts/case-480-580e-steering-cylinder.html This is my cylinder. The kit I got is seal kit D148100. Thanks a million peeps for all the help!! I just don't want to mess it up which I am good at LOL Thanks Rick

  9. #9poohhill2014-10-07 22:33

    Change the hxxp to http. Not sure it live links are allow here.

  10. #10poohhill2014-10-07 22:44

    Looking closer at it. That plastic spacer around the gland I figure was part of the gland and looking at the picture it kinda looks like it is. So confuse there. Maybe I'm looking at it wrong.