Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Problem with Volvo Ec210

Izzy Haishonga ยท 2020-06-25 07:46

I have a problem with my Volvo Ec210 Excavator, It do not want to start and the screen not coming on. I changed the engine ECU but still it doesn't want to start. But it start on the starter motor but not with the key. Can an

Replies52
  1. #1Izzy Haishonga2020-06-25 07:47

    I really need help on this, anyone please

  2. #2uffex2020-06-25 08:19

    Good day I suggest you bwgin checking fuse's - relays ect. I assume we are talking EC210B ? kind regards uffex

  3. #3funwithfuel2020-06-25 10:26

    Please attach pic of instrument panel.

  4. #4Izzy Haishonga2020-06-26 05:47

    Thank you very much, My machine is a EC290BLc

  5. #5Izzy Haishonga2020-06-26 05:56

    When you turn the ignition key on, the display flashes on and goes off in around 2 second. indicating a caution signal on top. The machine cannot start but if we try on the starter motor then it start but just goes off in few seconds

  6. #6Izzy Haishonga2020-06-26 06:01

    When you turn the ignition key on, the display flashes on and goes off in around 2 second. indicating a caution signal on top. The machine cannot start but if we try on the starter motor then it start but just goes off in few seconds View attachment 220002 View attachment 220002 View attachment 220002 THE MACHINE IS AN EXCAVATOR EC290BLC

  7. #7funwithfuel2020-06-26 06:02

    If you remove that display panel, from the wall, you can remove the back cover. Let's get that cover off and see if its corroded from water intrusion.

  8. #8Izzy Haishonga2020-06-26 06:03

    When you turn the ignition key on, the display flashes on and goes off in around 2 second. indicating a caution signal on top. The machine cannot start but if we try on the starter motor then it start but just goes off in few seconds View attachment 220002 View attachment 220002 View attachment 220002 THE MACHINE IS AN EXCAVATOR EC290BLC

  9. #9funwithfuel2020-06-26 06:04

    If you turn the key from off and go straight to crank without letting the instrument panel light up, will it crank?

  10. #10Izzy Haishonga2020-06-26 06:06

    I did remove the cover and it does not show any corrosion or burn of any kind. it is just clean as new

  11. #11Izzy Haishonga2020-06-26 06:06

    It does not crack at all

  12. #12Izzy Haishonga2020-06-26 06:10

    Where I mark OK stays on and I assume is fine there. but the screen in the middle just goes on and of together with the caution sign on top

  13. #13Izzy Haishonga2020-06-26 06:11

    Where I mark OK stays on and I assume is fine there. but the screen in the middle just goes on and of together with the caution sign on top View attachment 220004

  14. #14Izzy Haishonga2020-06-26 06:22

    Anyone with an idea to what the problem might be ?

  15. #15funwithfuel2020-06-26 06:56

    Ok, the lights in the center flashing on for 2 seconds is normal. That's a self test or bulb check. With the red central warning flashing, is anything displayed on the bottom of the screen. For example 187 FMI 231 or anything like that?

  16. #16BigWrench552020-06-26 07:30

    I had recently worked on a problem similar to yours. Remove the cover from the back of the display and then unplug the ribbon connector. Leave the big connector plugged in. Then try starting the machine. If that works then your display is bad and you will need another. But you can't simply buy one and install it. It will need to be programmed.

  17. #17Izzy Haishonga2020-06-26 08:42

    I I'll try that now and get back to you

  18. #18funwithfuel2020-06-26 08:43

    Take pictures

  19. #19Izzy Haishonga2020-06-26 08:43

    I'll try that now and get back to you

  20. #20Izzy Haishonga2020-06-26 08:44

    sure

  21. #21Izzy Haishonga2020-06-26 08:54

    sure

  22. #22Izzy Haishonga2020-06-26 10:09

    There is no number on the bottom and even if I disconnect the ribbon it is still not starting.

  23. #23Izzy Haishonga2020-06-26 10:13

    Even it you press then buttons on the bottom of the screen to check voltage and so on, nothing is coming up

  24. #24Izzy Haishonga2020-06-26 10:18

    There is vibrating sound coming from the screen when smithed on is that normal?

  25. #25funwithfuel2020-06-26 11:02

    No, not normal at all. Have you checked all your fuses? Have you checked your relays above the battery box?

  26. #26funwithfuel2020-06-26 11:21

    It seems like the network is down. Usually this will generate a code. I think you're going to have to call in dealer support. I'm sorry.

  27. #27Izzy Haishonga2020-06-26 11:23
  28. #28Izzy Haishonga2020-06-26 11:32

    We do not have a dealer in Namibia, I really don't Know what to do now

  29. #29funwithfuel2020-06-26 11:45

    I'm pretty confident, it is not your instrument panel. On the left armrest at the rear, should be a little plastic cover with a black plastic screw or a torx screw. Right where your elbow would be. Remove that cover. There is a bypass switch in there. Flip it to bypass, see if she starts. How much fuel does the machine have in it? The gauge doesn't show any, this is a common indicator of a failure in the vehicle ECU.

  30. #30funwithfuel2020-06-26 11:49

    I can post the troubleshooting steps later tonight. They're very specific and detailed. You will need a good volt/ohm meter to perform the tests. Did you try going straight to crank from the off position? Does it crank if you do. Have you checked the relays above the battery box? Where are your fuses and relays? Early B models were in the cab , later were in an enclosure behind the cab. The correct troubleshooting steps will depend on which model you have. Please attach a pic of fuses and serial number plate. Thanks

  31. #31uffex2020-06-27 05:23

    Good day Please see attached may be of help, may I suggest the Diodes in the circuit are worth a check. Manual mode will by-pass the V-ECU Kind regards Uffex

  32. #32Izzy Haishonga2020-06-28 15:58

    Now I have message on the screen attached, please check if you can help me please.

  33. #33BigWrench552020-06-28 16:20

    Looks like a engine oil level is low

  34. #34funwithfuel2020-06-28 16:41

    That new engine ECU might be looking for a sensor that is not there. The upside is, its communicating.

  35. #35Izzy Haishonga2020-06-28 16:51

    okay, thank you very much. I'll continue in the morning and try again. I'll be waiting for the troubleshooting steps.

  36. #36funwithfuel2020-06-28 16:52

    I'm still waiting for the serial number and a pic of your fuse panel.

  37. #37Izzy Haishonga2020-06-28 16:53

    I don't get what mean by that

  38. #38Izzy Haishonga2020-06-28 16:55

    I'll send first thing in the morning, as its 23:56 night at the moment

  39. #39funwithfuel2020-06-28 17:07

    You said you have a new engine ECU in the first paragraph when you opened this thread. I'm saying, not all engines were equipped with a low oil level sensor. FMI5 indicates an open circuit or low voltage. That tells me, you probably don't have one, or its unplugged.

  40. #40Izzy Haishonga2020-06-28 17:26

    okay, where is the sensor normally located?

  41. #41funwithfuel2020-06-28 17:56

    Usually in the oil pan. Either directly in the bottom or in a port near the pan rail pointing down. Should definitely have 3 wires going to it, if you have one.

  42. #42Izzy Haishonga2020-06-29 06:58

    fuse box

  43. #43Izzy Haishonga2020-06-29 06:59

    fuse box

  44. #44Izzy Haishonga2020-06-29 07:00

    plate info

  45. #45Izzy Haishonga2020-06-29 07:00

    EC290BLc

  46. #46funwithfuel2020-06-29 07:00

    You have the tier 3 late model B series. I will look and see what I can find for you.

  47. #47Izzy Haishonga2020-06-29 07:04

    please if you have a Technical manual, It will really help a lot. I cannot find mine please. you can email me at [email protected] please

  48. #48Izzy Haishonga2020-06-29 07:06

    I bypassed with the bypass on the left elbow but it still cannot start

  49. #49funwithfuel2020-06-29 07:17

    Do you have your original engine ECU?

  50. #50Izzy Haishonga2020-06-29 07:24

    yes

  51. #51funwithfuel2020-06-30 19:08

    lets look at the starting circuit. In particular the alternator. What I woould suggest doing first is to reinstall your original ECU and disconnect the Alternator. Sometimes , if the alternators rectifier fails, or begins to fail, it allows electricity to leak out to the hour meter at flag 1A10. The easiest thing to do is check your hour meter to see if it is ticking away . If it is, you likely have an alternator problem, disallowing the ground needed at relay 3101. Please advise to what you find. I have attached the schematics you will need to confirm or deny this possibility . Good luck.

  52. #52Izzy Haishonga2020-07-06 12:40

    My machine finally started, I just had a communication wire broken. Thank you very much for your help team