I have a good customer that talked me into fixing his 763 Bobcat. I don't usually work on small equipment but this guy is a valued customer and he asked me to do it. I have never had the engine out of one. I assume you pull the engine and the drive pump and cradle all together? Is there any tricks to make this procedure easier? Thanks.
Unless you are doing a head it is fastest to pull the pumps and motor as one. Drain fluids. 4 mounts, engine harness, battery, muffler, hoses and w/e else gets in the way. Takes 6-8 hours to pull depending on what access plates and options the unit has.
Thanks. I went out after lunch and pulled it in about 4 hours. It was just how you describe. I will post pictures later.
Good job Cat Wrench. If you possibly have a wash pit with an oil/grease trap, with the engine now out is a great time to pressure wash the innards of the beast, especially if your going to be doing repairs on the machine in the future. If it's got the fuel tank under the engine, I'd even consider pulling the tank and cleaning it out. Also, little gravels and stuff get lodged between belly of the machine and plastic tank, rubs nice itty bitty holes in the tank.
This is great advice. I have had to replace the pickup tube in the fuel tank before on a Bobcat and with the engine and pump out now is the time to do it. I can't believe all the small rocks that I found in this thing. I will carry it out with my fork lift and wash it again with the engine out. Pulling out the tank and cleaning it is a must. I may talk my customer into blasting and painting this while its apart.
LoL, I can't figure out the physics of how, but I'm convinced that polyethethylene tank is somehow a rock magnet. They seem to be attracted to every one I've looked at, they're everywhere! :tong
Yes Bobcat fuel tanks are made of a odd mix of plastic and rock magnet, also the rest of the bobcat is made with hydraulic leaking and mud magnets. lol
Somehow, I think there actually is some truth to that.
yeah i did it on a 863 a few months ago, arround and under the tank - nearly 4 gallons of dirt, rocks and oil.
Thanks I have to pull engine on a 873 and a 763. Myth as well get it all done