Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Purge Toyota Hydrostatic system

Karl Robbers ยท 2013-02-10 19:32

I run a Toyota 4SDK8 skid steer loader. Currently the hydraulics are filled with the Type F auto trans fluid specified by Toyota. Most Australian operators seem to convert to engine oil, (this is recommended by most oil companies when using their online oil selector tool), I can work out how to purge the hydraulic circuits to remove the current ATF, but am unsure as to how to purge the ATF from the drive circuits. There must be a fair amount of oil within these circuits as the refill capacity is around 25 litres, but you can only drain maybe 10-12 litres from the tank. Do I drain/ purge what I can and allow the rest to mix with the new oil? Or is there some way that I can purge the hydrostat system? I know that Toyota machines are somewhat rare in the states, but their drive system uses standard Sauer Sundstrand pumps and motors, so it should be similar to other machines.

Replies9
  1. #1CJR722013-02-16 00:45

    been thinking the same mate,mine will be due shortly ,I was wondering if you still have a manual and if I could get a copy.

  2. #2CJR722013-03-02 23:36

    thanks Karl, as for changing fluids I think I might leave it as ATF ,as costly as it is I don't wan't to be up for a rebuild just yet.

  3. #3CJR722013-10-07 17:45

    update, well time has come and after a lot of trying to find the correct ATF fluid the only option I was comfortable with is the complete change over to engine oil as per OEM,ATF type f is no longer available and it seems manufactures are unable to say whether other ATF fluids can be used,i rang my local dealer and was told it will be ok to run and mix till next service after draining the tank and cooler ,removed and drain the filter and let the system drain out for awhile I replaced the fluids with engine oil as per OEM and after a few minutes of use the fluids have mixed with out any noticeable colour difference,,next thing is putting a seal kit in the bucket raise cylinder

  4. #4CJR722014-10-22 16:19

    Well i got the seal kit,now i just have to find the time to pull it down,been busy with other stuff and also giving the 4 in 1a refurb,after using it the other day i blew a seal on one of the bucket rams,of corse whilst remiving the cylinders i noticed that the pins and bushes are in need of some attention,pins should be easy enough,pretty standard stuff running inch pins for the clam cylinders and 1 1/4 for the main pivot,got all new bushes ordered ,there just a press in deal ,also replacing the cutting edges

  5. #5CJR722014-11-28 17:09

    bucket done and all back together and working ,had a leaking lift cyl so I fitted a kit to it ,very easy to do ,now I have developed a small leak at the pump,was wondering if any one has a lead on a seal kit for the Sundstrand c25.7L 35837 gear pump,been looking but can only find suppliers for after market pump not seal kits

  6. #6CJR722015-03-11 17:07

    ok,after alot of ringing and research it turns out that the pump i have is NLA ,and even parts ,seals etc are NLA,i tried a few different sealants on the orings but it was just a short term fix,turns out that toyota superseded this pump in favour of a larger unit,average life was about 3500hrs ,well i got just over 5500 hrs so i guess that i did ok,hees a few pics of old and new

  7. #7Twitchin902015-11-19 06:10

    Where did you end up sourcing a new pump from? Mines got a crack in the body and leaks like a crazy and Toyota are a bit steep on price.

  8. #8CJR722016-04-27 08:30

    Bit late on the reply ,didnt get any notifucation,From toyota ,yes they are a bit steep but i needed it going and it was going to be about a fortnight to get one from outside australia Sent from my GT-S7500T using Tapatalk 2

  9. #9CJR722016-04-29 08:14

    Just some info i posted in another thread on some seals Sent from my GT-S7500T using Tapatalk 2