Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Working in a winter wonderland

245dlc ยท 2010-12-03 19:29

I made a couple videos today of a new type of amusement park just being started here. We had a pretty wet summer so the contractor decided to dig this man made lake or pond while there is some frost in the ground so they can use they're old Cat 631's and newer D8T with GPS. The displaced earth is being used to build a hill for tubing and I think tobogganing as well the lake is suppose to be for bathing and wakeboarding I guess this is all being directed towards an extreme sports type of crowd. So I thought I'd make a couple videos the crew is working around the clock so frost doesn't become to unmanageable and so they can be finished this portion of the project by Christmas. YouTube - D8T pushloading 631's YouTube - Winter time dozer and scraper work. YouTube - D8T ripping frost for scrapers.

Replies32
  1. #1buckfever2010-12-03 19:50

    The temp. in my house just dropped watching that vid. Winter sucks, mud and snow just showed up here:crying

  2. #2245dlc2010-12-03 21:13

    Lol, is that all you've got to deal with? Try -40C or one of our blinding snow storms.

  3. #3CM19952010-12-03 21:22

    No thank you...that's why I live where you can wear shorts year-round

  4. #4Burnout2010-12-03 21:27

    Awww c'mon Cory, you said you would love to come up here someday. I can look it up on fb and prove it :canada

  5. #5willie592010-12-03 21:32

    Ummm, nope, I'm like CM, I make it a point to live no farther north than where a Magnolia tree will grow. :tong Nice vids though.

  6. #6CM19952010-12-03 21:47

    Absolutely, I have heard that Alberta is quite nice in the summertime.

  7. #7Burnout2010-12-03 21:49

    Come for 3 weeks... you can experience all of it.

  8. #8hvy 1ton2010-12-04 00:33

    Sounds like Alberta is the Canadian equivalent to Kansas. If you don't like the weather, wait five minutes.:lmao

  9. #9stock2010-12-04 05:45

    Sounds like Eire; always thought Alberta had good weather in the fall least ways Niel Young said it was YouTube - Neil Young - Four Strong Winds

  10. #10Burnout2010-12-04 11:19

    If you don't mind freezing your rollers off if you know what I mean, fall is great. It's still fall here and last week it was -17f. So tell me, does it sound nice lol? Summer is nice, its just short.

  11. #11DPete2010-12-04 12:26

    Brrrrrrrrrrr wait tell the wind blows about 40, thanks for vids, kinda think they are 621's

  12. #12245dlc2010-12-04 13:02

    They could be it was hard to see the decal on them, we already had a couple days when the wind was blowing 60km/hr it wasn't really cold but sure made the highways treacherous but that's pretty normal around here. lol Sure made me wish I was in Vancouver. lol

  13. #13buckfever2010-12-04 18:27

    - 40 I think i would call in dead. It was a frigged 16 here in the morning. How hard is it to get stuff started when it's that cold? If it goes bellow 0 here we stay home.

  14. #14245dlc2010-12-04 19:01

    Just about every machine here has a block heater or some kind of coolant heater to keep the motor warm, even ordinary cars and trucks so you plug in at night or whenever you park the car, truck, or machine and then hopefully you can start it in the morning. When I use to work for a basement excavation company the machines that were on lowbeds were always parked indoors over night, plus we ran 0W40 engine oil during the winter instead of 15W40 as we didn't always have the luxury of plugging the machine in on some jobsites. We were running 4 Cat 320's and the whole series up to the "D" series machines had a really good pre-heater so even at -30C with 15W40 the engine would sputter and cough but would start nonetheless. Then we got are first "D" series and even at -10C which is considered tropical during the winter here we would have trouble getting it started so often it would be brought back to the shop every night if we couldn't find a place to plug it in. Why it was like that I don't know I didn't stay with that outfit long enough to find out but I know some of the problems we had with the machines were largely due to the connection between the operator's seat and the joysticks. But other tricks to starting a machine in our infamous freezing temperatures is "don't turn it off except to change the oil" or other tricks were making a tent around the machine and heating it with a Herman Nelson Heater fuel oil heater. On big jobs some machines are operated around the clock to avoid starting problems or they are again "plugged in" to an electrical source like a light plant or jobsite shack. etc.

  15. #15Burnout2010-12-04 19:34

    Yeah you could do all that, or just buy some summer in a can.

  16. #16CM19952010-12-04 21:23

    Isn't -40 where C and F become the same temp? Anyway...sittin' in shorts enjoying a cool breeze.... Oh yeah I forgot to mention the beach...

  17. #17buckfever2010-12-05 19:52

    Using either with glowplugs:nono Good way to get a new topend rebuild. Plus once you feed it go-go gas it will want it all the time.

  18. #18245dlc2010-12-05 21:49

    Yeah it's been a while since I've had to use that, I prefer using it for potato gun fuel. lol:tong

  19. #19Burnout2010-12-05 22:18

    I used some today.....good ole RB.

  20. #20Intrepid One2011-01-09 18:10

    Was looking at some of your you tube videos, was that you in NRC's 988 loading trailers ?

  21. #21245dlc2011-01-09 22:40

    Nope don't work for them.

  22. #22oriden2011-01-10 21:20

    thier better off lol hows geetee treating ya that place called for us to droop off snow for them. what an awkward call...

  23. #23245dlc2011-01-10 22:36

    No problems, good people to work for.

  24. #24245dlc2011-01-10 23:55

    What are you up to for the winter?

  25. #25Gavin84w2011-01-11 00:39

    That is just such an old wives tail, the reason you are using it in the first place is because something is wrong and it won't start, then when someone figures it will start they keep on putting it in as a means to start the engine, fix the %^^$#@ problem i say!! Many Cat machines are optioned with ether aids, the reason you won't the engine to fire up quickly in cold climates is to avoid draining batteries, killing starters and dragging pistons up and down bores at starting RPM or lower with little oil pressure

  26. #26Abscraperguy2011-02-03 23:53

    Is this out by the waterski lake just inside the 100? I was on the crew that built that 5 or 6 years ago.

  27. #27245dlc2011-02-04 10:43

    No that's on the east perimeter, this job is on the west perimeter right next door to Headingley.

  28. #28Abscraperguy2011-02-08 23:39

    The one I'm talking about is about a mile off the 100 between Oak Bluff and the garbage dump a couple of miles east of Oak Bluff. Close to the big Petro Canada "balls". Straight south of Brandt Tractor about two miles across the fields (at least they were then). I would have said that's the west edge of the city. Are we talking about two different lakes?

  29. #29245dlc2011-02-09 11:40

    Ok I've never seen that one, I know there is a lot of acreages and farms along there. I know there is a lake like that about a mile in off the east perimeter, if I remember correctly they also have a water ski jump there too.

  30. #30tsdevoss2011-03-06 19:29

    I believe in all the states i've work in, they all have that same quote!

  31. #31hvy 1ton2011-03-07 00:43

    A group of five counties, including douglas, between 1980 and 2005 has had more tornados per square mile than anywhere else in the US. That is thanks to frequent and violent changes in atmospherics. In the past 22 years there has been a tornado somewhere in the county on my birthday 5 times ointhead On edit: that statisics is F3+ tornados only.:bash

  32. #32ILLICEMAN2011-03-07 15:22

    Take some pics for the folks of the little hills of snow they build in the winter with removed snow.What,a site.