Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Stranded 1988 S1600 Uhaul

NIdahoOrthodox · 2024-11-10 10:58

Yesterday I bought a truck from a co-worker (truck in Helena, MT) Started on way home to Idaho. All analog gauges showed good numbers however the idiot light for brake pressure and oil pressure/temp were on and buzzer going constantly. The actual brakes work well. At a rest stop less than an hour from home, tired of hearing the buzzer, decided to see if it can be disconnected. My 15 year old grandson was with me. He found a plug that was disconnected in the driver footwell. With engine off he plugged it in. The engine started and ran for two seconds and then shut off. It will not turn over and the headlights won't come on. There is no burnt smell under the dash. I need help with this from someone knowledgeable about these trucks. The Montana Highway Patrol gave me 48 hours to move it. We got a ride home from a kind big rig driver. Thanks for any replied.

Replies14
  1. #1Shimmy12024-11-10 12:10

    What engine? Trans?

  2. #2NIdahoOrthodox2024-11-10 12:16

    7.3. Don't know manufacturer. Trans is five speed manual. I don't know manufacturer.

  3. #3Shimmy12024-11-10 12:21

    Going to be pretty hard to address all the possibilities over an Internet forum. If it was an old mechanical 6 banger, you could jump the starter and get her home. 7.3 with electric fuel pump solenoid, glow plugs, and whatnot, going to be a lot harder.

  4. #4NIdahoOrthodox2024-11-10 12:23

    Never jumped a starter before.

  5. #5NIdahoOrthodox2024-11-10 12:30

    Is there a main fuse? There is no electrical at all. The dash is dark when key is turned and headlights won't come on.

  6. #6Shimmy12024-11-10 12:38

    Possibly a relay on the engine side of the firewall.

  7. #7Coaldust2024-11-10 13:21

    Hmmm. I would disconnect the plug and then locate and replace whatever fuse that is blown. Listen to the buzzer on the way home and figure it out later.

  8. #8Coaldust2024-11-10 13:22

    Welcome to the HEF. Once you get home, tell us about your big plans with this rig.

  9. #9NIdahoOrthodox2024-11-10 15:54

    Thanks, I will.

  10. #10NIdahoOrthodox2024-11-11 14:19

    I tried to jump the starter by connecting the negative to frame and positive to red terminal on solenoid, then the other end to the jumper posts on right side. The solenoid spun but did not engage the starter. I have spent the morning making calls to local truck repair shops and talking to some mobile techs, and also found and downloaded the electrical manual for this truck. Even if the starter had turned it would not have started because there is a solenoid cutoff for the fuel pump. From looking at the wiring diagram there is a 10 gauge fusible link that is before the ignition switch and fuse panel. The book does not say where this link is located. Can anyone tell me where it is located? It is just over $1000 towing to the local repair shop.

  11. #11mekanik2024-11-11 14:26

    I would look for the fusible link on the battery post on the starter. That is where the newer internationals have it.

  12. #12cfherrman2024-11-11 15:49

    If that's an idi diesel you just need a power wire to the injection pump and to jump the starter solenoid, hopefully it's a mechanical fuel pump. Use some starting fluid since glow plugs are not on and drive it home without any cab power lol

  13. #13NIdahoOrthodox2024-11-11 16:10

    I am buying parts from Advance Auto parts, a 12 ga in line fuse holder with a 40a fuse, some crimp on connectors and electrical tape. If it works, it will start and I will also have lights

  14. #14Coaldust2024-11-11 23:13

    Pidder - padder , let’s get at her. Route 12 at Lolo is no place to camp out in November. We got snow in the forecast.