I have a new-to me high time T-200 with the Deutz engine. When I move the loader slowly, at low throttle, occasionally I three chirps and a low oil pressure warning. Checking vitals, the oil pressure is about 20. When I advance the throttle, the oil pressure increases to above 35 psi, and the warning clears. I have just had the engine checked out, and it starts and runs great. Do I have anything to worry about?
Could be just a bad oil pressure switch. I typically put a manual oil pressure gauge in the port and verify the low and hi RPM oil pressure. If the manual gauge gives a good reading, you just have an electrical problem with the gauge circuit.
Kinda sounds like your oil pressure may be dropping when you are lugging the engine below it's idle speed. I agree w/ Atco, the first thing to do is install a mechanical oil pressure guage, then lug the engine like you describe. It is common on high hour engines to have less oil pressure at low RPMs. In any case, it's probably not a great idea to lug the engine like that, it's a better practice to idle the engine up before lifting the arms. A few hundred RPMs will probably be a big improvement.
What kind of oil are you using? Ever performed an oil analysis?
I don't know what kind of oil. I just bought the machine, and had it gone over by a good shop. I had them change all the filters and the engine oil. I have not done and oil analysis. What kind of engine oil should I use? I use full synthetic oils like Redline in my road vehicles. The low pressure warning only comes on when I try to operate the skidsteer. What should the oil pressure be at idle?
If you oil pressure is 20 psi at idle or when the warning goes off I think it is safe to say the sender that sets it off is faulty. 20psi oil pressure is fine at idle. However make sure the other oil pressure is correct. maybe the gauge stating 20psi is the bad one.
We are looking for help on an oil pressure problem we are having - the meter is pegged on our cat 12 99e - any help on cause or fix?
Thats a mechanical gauge on that grader.... the gauge should have the part number written right in the face of the gauge, or just pick one up at your local parts store....
How is the engine temp regulated on the deutz oil cooled engines in the Bobcat 863 ?
Thermostatic by-pass on oil cooler. Oil is by-passed to warm the engine, more flow through the cooler to cool the engine. Works the same as a radiator system.
bobcat 863 Thanks for the info this matches the oil flow diagram from the Deutz manuel. I over heated the moter, I think the oil filter plugged and stoped the return flow to the oil pan.
That shouldn't have happened because the oil filter has a built in by-pass/relief at about 15 psig. The oil filter is the full flow type that filters all oil from the pump before it goes anywhere. There is no "partial flow" Luberfiner type filters offered on the OEM engines. You may have a plugged oil cooler on the air flow side.
Bobcat 863 Thanks and again you are right. I bought this machine from a friend, cheap because his employes started canibalising it to fix the other machines. Turns out that it is still overheating even with a new oil filter and oil. I removed the return hose from the port where it re-enters the moter and it fills a gallon very quickly with cold oil, however the slide thermostat is missing and i was wondering does it need the thermostat to make the oil circulate through the oil cooler? Eventhough I dont really know what i am doing this is great fun. Alot more fun than fixing air conditioners.
Yes, you do need the thermostat. Install one and your problem will go away, maybe. Make sure all of the air passages are clear and the fan belts aren't slipping.
I orderded a new thermostat with the spring and seal from the dealer. Should be here in a couple of days. After 11 months of hunting parts (over 40 were missing), and lots of learning were real close to having a working machine. What amazes me about this deutz diesel is that after sitting 6 years with the valve cover off , It had 2 gallons of water in the oil pan, sand in the top and dog food in the exhaust, and after a good cleanning and other assorted parts, this baby fired right up. Thanks Lil puss for the good advice. Are the hand controls on these machines supossed to be sensitie and jumpy, and how do you stop it from creeping?