Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Question about operating on ice

David Boreham ยท 2019-06-27 09:15

Hello, I own a mini excavator which I use for landscaping and drainage projects on my property. I'm considering expanding the fleet to include a mini track loader (so far I have been borrowing a neighbor's tractor-loader to move material). I want a track machine because the terrain is very wet for much of the operating season. However, for five months of the year we are typically under snow which takes some time and effort to remove. For this I use a traditional pickup truck with plow, and a big walk-behind snow blower for when the truck can't push the snow. If I purchase some sort of skid steer it really makes sense for it to be useful for snow removal as well as the landscaping work. Which finally brings me to my question: are mini track loaders usable on ice? Around here everyone uses wheel skid steers with chains for snow removal. I can see a track machine working fine on the level and over uncompacted snow but I'm wondering if they slide over ice on a slope. My property/driveway is pretty level but I have 1 mile of road that I clear snow from which is decidedly not level and often icy in the spring. I should say I wouldn't be removing snow from 1 mile of road with a skid steer -- the pickup truck is fine for that. Where you need a loader is to move berms back once the amount of snowpack gets to the point the truck can't push it out the way. That needs to be done only occasionally. Interested to hear anyone's thoughts on this. Also is there a way to "chain up" a track machine somehow with tracks that have metal spikes, something like that?

Replies1
  1. #1ianjoub2019-06-27 09:22

    Snow/ice tracks https://www.tracksandtires.com/bridgestone-polar-tread/ Studs for tracks https://www.gripstuds.com/Skid_Steer_Track.php