do you buy deep or shallow one inch drive sockets
Not to be a smartass, but, yes. Well, I lied in the first part of that, but, I use both deep and shallow. I guess if I had none, I would buy deep first, because there's probably more spots where you can only use deep than spots where you can only use shallow. I probably use my shallow ones the most, though.
That's kinda like askin>> do you walk to school or carry your lunch..?? Lol
If I could only have one it would be deep, but like mitch says, always good to have both. Can usually find one inch sockets at farm auctions and such. I was fortunate enough to get 3/4 to 5 1/2 inch sockets in a trade from a guy that was getting out of the field service game, hate to know what it would have cost me to get new
I bought a set of shallow ones, just buy the deeps as I need them. Same with 3/4" actually, for the equipment I work on it's rare to need a deep socket, but then I'm probably in the shallow end of the gene pool again.
I reckon I'm like Lantraxco...shallow end of the gene pool. Automotive may find more applications for deep sockets, but I've been working on all manner or machinery since back in the 80's and by and large most tasks can be done with shallow sockets, rarely have I needed deep sockets on machines, and there at spots where deep would be a hindrance in tight spots, or just plain won't work. My 1/4" ratchet sockets I prefer 6 point. 3/8" and 1/2" ratchet sockets, 12 point, I always have my 6 point impact sockets in 3/8 and 1/2 if the job requires six point. On 3/4 and 1" sockets, pretty much only use 6 point impact sockets.
I think shallow is fine. You might want to get deep in the sizes 1-1/2 and smaller. For the others, shallow will be fine. Beware, you can spend piles of money on 1" drive sockets. I think most brands go from 3/4 all the way to 4-1/2. There are around 40 sizes available in there.
Shallow impacts in 6pt, chrome 12pt harbor freight shallow set (had them 20 years now, havent broken any yet) and good deep 6pt impacts as the need arises. Buy a good 1" drive ratchet. My armstrong is stout but sometimes wont fit where my snapon will. Also need an impact universal. I got lucky and ended up with some military snapon wobbly sockets in 1" drive, love em.
Like a lot of the others, I have all Shallow sockets in 3/4" and 1". I've bought or acquired deeps only in the sizes I've needed them.
Deep. Some sizes I use a 3/4 adapter