A guy is selling one locally... i have som interest because i'm selling my trusty 2012 333D. It apparantely has the same horsepower... i spoke to the owner and he said his is "hydraulically slow" for the first 5-10minutes after machine warms up, then is all good... Is that normal? My other pick was going to be a pt-110 but i'm worreid about visibility........ Kubota SVL90-2 vs Terex PT-110 - what is the better pic (all options being the same)?
I really like my 90-2. It certainly isn't "hydraulicly slow" unless it has been sitting outside in below freezing temps overnight. How many hours on it, are there any service records, and how many different operators did it have?
One of my good buddies owns one. He's put just under 1k hour on it in 2 years. (bought brand new) Loves it, although it's had about 20K worth of warranty work on in in those 2 years, covered under manuf. warranty. Just traded it in on a new one because he can't trust it once out of warrantly. If he would have had no major issues with it he would have kept it. In my opinion with just about any CTL if it's not under warranty you're playing with fire and better have 10K in your back pocket ready to go......
I think that is good advice.
We've had a SVL90-2 in our rental fleet since it was new, and it's been on numerous rentals, one was long term, 8 months I think it was. The good, everyone that has operated it says it's a beast of a machine, and by and large Kubota build good products. Yes, in cold weather they are a little slow to react when cold, that's because they have hydraulic pilot operated controls, cold stiff oil doesn't flow easily, once the oil warms up a little it's a non-issue. The two things that I find are a bigger problem, but problems that can be dealt with, is that machine is bar none the most picky machine I've ever worked on about clean fuel. Obviously, being in rental fleet, clean fuel is not always the norm, but in most cases an individual who owns and operates the machine is going to be more picky about the cleanliness of the fuel they pour in it. The other thing is the DPF, now Kubota may have made changes as the -2 progressed, I don't know, but on ours you have to run that thing like a two stroke Detroit for the DPF to work properly. If you just putter around on one at idle or low RPM, the DPF can't function proper to do re-gen, next thing ya know the engine loses power, the ECM de-retes the engine power until it gets resolved. I've got a bunch of phone calls from rental customers about power loss and have to explain all this to them. My last words to them is basically something like this, "it's constipated, it needs to take a ****, you gotta run that engine like you're pi$$ed off at your wife!"
I agree with Willie 100%. But I also think my circumstances are a bit different than most. I am the ONLY operator of my equipment and some may say I'm a bit fussy about how I care for my stuff. That being said, I always use clean fuel out of a fuel cell on my truck with a filter, when the DPF needs to regen I pretty much run it wide open, it mostly gets run like that anyway, and I change the oil, the oil and fuel filters, and the finals more often than the manual states, cheap insurance if you ask me . I have about 900 hours on mine and it recently went back to the dealer for some cracks in the exhaust brackets and Kubota supplied the parts even though it's out of warranty. Overall I'm very pleased with the machine, but, I feel that if it is in the hands of a large company with several operators who don't really know or care how to treat the regen or sloppily add fuel it can mean big problems...
Yep, you got it right Tags. They're a good machine, but they're made to run hard all day long. If a person is going to do a lot of stop and go, intermittent use, I wouldn't recommend one because that type of operation won't let them go into re-gen, you gotta put the saddle on them in the morning and grab the whip. The biggest problem I had with it in rentals was dirty fuel clogging that strainer screen in the water separator bowl, I'd have to go out every 2 to 3 weeks and clean that strainer. I finally said "ENOUGH", tossed that strainer and added a Stanadye type fuel filter mounted to the radiator between the radiator frame and the door, I can change it without tilting the radiator out. Another thing, WHO'S THE FREAKING GENIUS AT KUBOTA THAT PUT THE ENGINE OIL FILL SPOUT UNDER THAT MUFFLER MOUNT BRACKET!" :Banghead
I can't figure this picture thing out....can a moderator help please??!! I'm close just not quite right side up.....
I can't say for sure Tags, but this happened to me a few days ago, posted some text and below it tried to post a pic. The pic (in the correct view) was taller than it was wide and every way I tried it would rotate the pic 90 degrees, couldn't get it to post with the pic rotated correctly. I finally deleted the pic from my post, saved the changes, then made another post after my first one with just the pic, it posted correctly then. I can't say for sure what causes this. :beatsme
Loving my SVL 95-2s
Interesting guards on the above picture. They are not Kubota factory available guards, so I assume there is a dealer in your area who is installing these as a package? More info, please.
I got this from my dealer awhile back and dug it out of my truck for you. I'll see if I can get contact info.
No website, but here's their contact info.
Many thanks! Some great ideas that Kubota might consider offering as options. On another note, it might appear as though CAPCO joined up to bait us SVL guys into becoming customers of his. I like his ideas, and will consider a purchase, but he needs to play by the rules here, not that he has broken any, yet.
Now that's funny! I didn't even realize that he had made the post you were referring to. I guess I made his advertisement for him. :laugh Well...maybe CAPCO needs a product guinea pig. Just happen to know one...with very shallow pockets.
I've been working as a Kubota dealer mechanic for over 4 years now, so this is what I can tell you. Overall, 90-2s are a good machine, but do have their issues. Went through a rash of gear pumps a while ago, Kubota upgraded the pumps with larger bushings and that seems to have solved that issue. Most of the problems on these are fuel system and aftertreatment issues. It's probably quality of fuel and maintenance (or lack thereof), but it's not uncommon to have injectors go out, though not the same machine, same injectors time after time. As far as aftertreatment, I've seen DOCs cracking at the inlet pipe usually around 800 to 1200 hours. The way the DPF assembly is mounted is, to put it bluntly, not very well thought out. Early on, there was a problem with exhaust brackets cracking, which was corrected with a manufacturer campaign. Unfortunately, I believe this has resulted in the stresses being transferred to the intake manifold (where one side of the rear mounting bracket bolts to). The manifold is cast aluminum, and I personally have replaced 6-7 manifolds in just the last few months. The next issue I've found is with the wiring harness at several of the engine sensor connections, mainly EGT sensors, differential pressure sensor, and boost pressure sensor. On the diff press. and the boost sensor, there are clear PVC style "boots" around the harness connectors that, over time, will rub into the wires and into the connectors themselves. I've also seen several times, on high hour machines, the wires for the diff press sensor have been rubbed through by the wire loom about 4-6 inches from the sensor connection (easy fix). On the harness side of the EGT sensor connections, Kubota used some gray flexible tubing for the few inches between the end of the wire loom and the connector body. Over time, due to the bend in the wiring, the tubing will rub the wires completely in two. Sometimes the break is far enough away from the connector body to repair the wires, sometimes its right at the body, making repair impossible. I have searched and searched and have not been able to locate an exact replacement end, maybe someone else might have more luck? But in a "no repair" situation, one could (and I have) cut the connector off the affected sensor, and installed matching connectors on the sensor and harness, I think I used metripack 150 connectors. Now, with all that said, keep this in mind. Anything having to do with the aftertreatment system is covered under a mandated 5 year warranty, which stands alone from any engine or machine warranty. All those injectors, manifolds and DOCs were replaced under warranty. I've even replaced one wiring harness under that warranty. Once that warranty runs out, I bet anyone would weld that cracked DOC or intake manifold, and fix the harness how they needed. Injectors are another story.
I would like to add on some other issues that I forgot in my first post. 1: Keep the belly pan cleaned out. I believe the operator's manual states to do that every 200 hours. Debris buildup combined with engine vibration/motion can cause the gear pump suction flange the break loose, causing a hydraulic leak. Also buildup under the lift cylinders (mainly the left side) can cause the lower hydraulic fitting to loosen, wrecking the o-ring and causing a leak. 2: I have now had to replace two pressure sensors for the backup alarm. They are located on the left side joystick body, they just started leaking. This was on two different machines. 3: The seat switch. I've noticed this more on open cab machines in colder weather. The seat cushion will get water in it, freeze overnight, and will not press on the seat switch in the morning. It's a two wire switch, easy to bypass if you feel like it. Overall, they are a good machine. I definitely don't see as many problems on them, compared to when I worked on Bobcats.
I happen to know of another potential guinea pig, same shallow pockets, just less brushy country to work in, lol.
Thanks Bustedknuckle for all that info....and if Capco needs a willing test subject in the North East he can just send me a quick PM, I'll give him TONS of feedback....:drinkup