Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Question on Starter for 4-53 Detroit

ecm2004 ยท 2024-06-07 10:00

Good Morning I have an old p&h excavator with a 4-53 Detroit in it. Should I be running 2 12v batteries ? As the starter is a 24v starter. I believe some one has put in a 12v charging system Thanks for any input

Replies6
  1. #156wrench2024-06-07 10:10

    24v starter needs 2 12v batteries in series for cranking. Maybe it has a series-parallel switch for cranking and a 12v system for charging

  2. #2ecm20042024-06-07 10:25

    Ok I will check that out. Thanks for the response

  3. #3kshansen2024-06-07 12:18

    Might be easier in the long run if the charging system is 12 volt to just swap in a 12 volt starter. There is another name for those "series-parallel" switches. I think it was told to me by a place near here that is a major electrical repair shop, they call them "Serious-Problem" switches. The quarry were I worked over the years had many Mack trucks with those switches. I finally convinced boss when doing work on some of them to let me swap in 12 volt 40MT starters. A little simple wiring change and problems are gone.

  4. #4Delmer2024-06-07 18:50

    a 24v alternator is easier to swap than a 12v starter, and BETTER. If you don't use it often, I'd hook a solar panel up and forget about the alternator, or even add a DC to DC charger to charge the second battery.

  5. #5Jonas3022024-06-07 19:08

    It can get to be hard to say with that old stuff is the starter marked 24v or how are you sure its 24 and are things working now ? A 4-53 isnt hard to crank and really wouldnt need 24v

  6. #6kshansen2024-06-07 19:38

    We had a 4-71 out of a Northwest Crane that was converted to be used as a PTO unit to run a Jaw crusher. Set that up with 12 volt electrical system. Last I knew it had set unused in a heated store room for 5 or more years. At that time it fired right up despite not having been run or the 4D battery charged for years. Guess the thing to do might be to us what ever you can get your hands on for a good price. I just like the idea of a 12 volt system as in a pinch you could jump start it off just about any thing you had access to, be it a Ford Ranger pick-up or a 992 Cat loader(just jump to one battery).