Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Questions about Tilt buckets

Shimmy1 ยท 2014-08-31 14:27

Anyone out there has experience with a tilting ditch bucket? I purchased one of those SEC ones last spring. Bucket works awesome other than I believe the cylinders should maybe be bigger? I know with it being a seven foot bucket there is a lot of leverage on the cylinders but I still think the bucket could be more stable. It seems wishy/washy. Is there anyone with experience with a Cat, WB, Brandt, or any other cylinder design? Also just to save anyone the trouble I'm not interested in a Helac style. Have talked to guys that have had them and they are as bad if not worse than the one I have with cylinders.

Replies5
  1. #1joispoi2014-08-31 17:06

    What is the relief pressure set at on the tilt circuit?

  2. #2Shimmy12014-08-31 18:46

    I have it at 4500 currently. Don't feel I can go any higher since I've already had to change two of the hoses on the bucket already. Started at 2500 its definitely better but I feel the cylinders are too small. Only about a 3.5 inch bore

  3. #3clintm2014-09-01 08:00

    IT's an SEC product now that you know how much you use a tilt bucket go buy a good one

  4. #4Shimmy12014-09-01 08:50

    Well that's why I'm asking around on here. I have had good luck with SEC buckets in the past. This tilt bucket looked kind of cheap but a Werk-Brau or Brandt is $17,000 and I paid $3600 for this one delivered.

  5. #5Auxhyd2014-09-16 15:42

    Besides just being cheaper I imagine they want to limit the amount of force those cylinders exert to prevent damage to other components, after all the intended use is for positioning the bucket. For the same reason some shear manufacturers now offer ultra low flow rotate circuits to keep guys from using the rotator improperly. Also, in my line of work I see a lot of guys running their tilt buckets on a low flow circuit so if you have a larger cylinder displacement then more oil volume is required or you may have slow cycle times. Shouldn't generally be an issue on the primary circuit however...