Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Questions for Mass Hoisting operators license.

fast_st · 2011-06-07 11:26

So there looks to be one $75 fee for • 1A=All hoisting equipment(except electric and air powered hoisting equipment) including clutch machines, derricks, guy derricks, stiff legs, Chicago booms, gin poles, lattice booms. • 1B=Equipment with telescoping booms with or without wire ropes. • 1C= Equipment hydraulic telescoping booms without wire ropes and forklifts. • 2A=Crawler and rubber-tired excavators, backhoes and loaders. • 2B=Backhoes and front-end loaders. • 2C=Front-end loaders. • 3A=Electric and air powered hoisting equipment. • 4A=Unrestricted, 4B=Drill Rigs, 4C=Pipeline Side booms, 4D=Concrete Pumps, 4E=Catch Basin Cleaners, 4F=Sign-Hangers, 4G=Mowers. I'm wondering if you check all the categories and say pass all but one will they issue a license for what you passed? I'm game for trying them all whereas its just a paper test and the cost is the same. I generally only run what'd be under 2A but could see benefit in a 1B/1C (seems like b covers c anyway). Guess I'm not mowing my yard till I get a 4G

Replies37
  1. #1mitch5042011-06-07 22:19

    Gee, the first reason I've had to want to live in Mass. I'd finally have an excuse not to cut the grass! does a 4 unrestricted cover everything in 1,2, and 3? or just all the 4s? When they introduced this, were oldtimers grandfathered?

  2. #2fast_st2011-06-10 11:27

    Well, as near as I can tell looking it over, I think a 1A covers all the 1 category, where a 4A covers b/c/d/e/f/g I could be wrong. Its purely a moneygrab, nobody is exempt, now if I want to put a drain pipe on my own property, deeper than 2 feet, I need a permit from the town.

  3. #3danregan2011-06-11 06:04

    This test is ridiculous. if you dont pass this, then you should pour gas on your head and light yourself on fire. one of the questions was 'you notice the machine is on fire. do you- keep working; keep working until end of cycle; shut off machine and notify supervisor. someone's full time gov't job is to administer these tests. I have never been asked for my license in 18 some odd years. fast_st, i think your talking about the new "trench permit" ********. I love how your required to pull a permit for anything over 24", however, most towns do not have an official to enforce or inspect for the permit, and when asked about it, most DPWs will shrug and laugh. Frigging hate this place.

  4. #4fast_st2011-06-16 12:54

    But.. what if the machine is supposed to be on fire? Yeah, the new trench permit, if you dig into it you need a licensed operator and it doesn't exempt if you're digging by hand so I guess I'll need a hand tool license. Our town is going for money grabs anyplace they can so they're hunting. Our dpw got shut down a while back with a trench across a busy road. 12 feet deep, drop in a pipe and call it a day with nobody in the trench, they had to step it back and ended up with a massive excavation whereas they didn't have a trench box. Yeah, so even if you dig a trench for anything, you either have to fill it, deck plate it or put up a 6' high chain link fence, crazy.

  5. #5danregan2011-06-17 05:34

    we have to pull a trench permit for a perc test and deep test hole. ridiculous.

  6. #6fast_st2011-06-17 13:37

    Hmm, wait, fence posts go down more than 2 feet, so would that be 1 permit per hole?

  7. #7diggerman572011-06-26 22:00

    Just so you know,the way the mass. hoisting license test works is if you take two tests, fail one test, and pass the other you won't get credit for the one you passed. So you shouldn't take any tests you're not prepared for. Like danregan said, the 2a, and the 2b tests are pretty easy if you have knowledge of your basic trenching, hand signals, and machine safety rules, according to the CMR rules which supersede the OSHA rules in Ma.. But once you start getting into a 1a license, or a 4a license with air and electric endorsements you'd better study up because they don't just give those away.

  8. #8Jim152011-06-28 20:00

    Diggerman have you taken the 1a test? If so when and how was it? I'm taking it soon and what else should I go over other than the NIOSH hand signals, bassic mass regs, types of chokers. Thanks

  9. #9brian falcone2011-06-29 21:31

    mass test i live in rhode island but had to get the mass test so i could work in that state as well.the 3 large jobs we did i was asked to show the license first day on the job. ..the mass test in my opinion was harder than the ri test but it was fairly easy. i have the 2a. there was 100 questions. i took my time . i scored a 98, the test covered hand signals and lifting slings and trench saftey. there were guys there that blew through the test in 5 minutes. after a couple weeks you could go online to see your score......some guys scored as low as 30.....pretty scary that they couldnt pass this. no one scored a 100 on that particular day. the rhode island test was easy. first question was ..." and im not making this up " ... HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE ALLOWED TO RIDE ON A BACKHOE ".....no joke. i felt like writing in " depends how big the bucket is and how small the people are ". we are currently doing some house lots in westwood mass. large plat with about 25 lots. the house we are currently excavatinghad too much fill so we dumped it on the next lot....big no no. apparently you need a permit just to dump fill on a lot up there. even though its all privately owned ,and a construction site you have to pay for a permit to dump dirt on your own lot.

  10. #10danregan2011-06-30 05:43

    Brian- i would imagine that's a local westwood bylaw. Wayland has one- your supposed to ask papa if you can move more than 300 yards. In wayland its the conservation commission that started it, and the building dept that enforces it. They only enforce it if they get a complaint. I think its to keep trucking down. Its ridiculous.

  11. #11diggerman572011-06-30 20:55

    @jim15 I don't have the 1a license, but I do have a full license in RI. The tests are probably similar. That being said, you should check the ma licensing web site and see if they ask you to study something specific. If it's to vague, then try to look up study materials for CCO test prep. I think that you should at the very least make sure you can understand how to read load charts. There may be questions about having X amount of weight, that has to go to y location of your radius. After making your deductions can the pick be made? Or, if you have x amount of boom out, and you're at y boom degrees, with z amount of wire rope hanging from the tip, and a two part block, how much are you good for? I hope this helps a little, good luck.

  12. #12fast_st2011-07-20 12:44

    Thanks for the info, will see about taking a test or two!

  13. #13mws_19842012-06-25 13:12

    Going to bring this up again. New here and apparently I can't post new threads yet. So where can I find study material for the 1c license? Would primarily be be for forklifts/telehandlers(Lull) The stuff they give on the application doesn't really help. Is it mostly common sense questions on the test? I've run the small warehouse style forklifts before and a Lull on a couple of occasions. Of course unlicensed but had no choice. Which brings up the part of the application where it says experience. I'm currently laid off from a company. Can I still use them as the employer? And should I even be putting the experience I do have if it was unlicensed operation. Don't want to mess this up at all. As it might be the key to getting a new job and I don't feel like throwing away $75 for nothing. Also is there a fee to take the test or is the $75 application fee cover the cost of sitting for the test. Where are the testing locations in MA? I'm in Fall River, MA.

  14. #14Jim152012-06-25 17:33

    If you have never held a hydraulics license, I would just put N/A for experience. That's what I did when I took my first test. That section I believe is more for out of state guys or guys upgrading their license. The $75 covers registration, test, and first year or 2 of license. Your license expires every 2 years on your birthday. Not sure which district you fall in as I believe that's what decides which testing facility you go to. My tests were at Bunker Hill Community College

  15. #15mws_19842012-06-25 17:47

    Nice, thanks for the reply Jim. I think I had seen ya on another forum and I was going to message you there but you haven't been on in a while. ********.com it was. I can always ask people I know who have it to see where they were tested. I think I'll just stick with the 1c for now and then why not get more if I have the $ later. Is it basically just common sense and safety type questions? I think I found this site that seems like it may cover what I need to know. Thoughts on this? http://www.mass.gov/eopss/docs/dps/inf/520-cmr-600-hoisting.pdf

  16. #16Jim152012-06-25 17:55

    Ya I don't go on any of these sites much, but I get emails from the threads I posted on, so I answered your questions on the other site. Like I said on the other site, I recommend that Peterson school class, but your definitely going to want to study the 520CMR link you posted. The 2A/1C test is $75. I believe it was 50 questions, the last 15 were hand signals. So make sure you study those.

  17. #17mws_19842012-06-25 18:02

    Definitely messes with my plans. Was going to just throw the application in soon and take the test next month as it says. But maybe the class might help. Bad thing is, next one is this Saturday and then not again til the end of July. Just hope job I'm going for is willing to wait on me or will hire me if I have intentions of getting the licenses.

  18. #18mws_19842012-06-27 14:13

    So can anyone answer these? How much does it all end up costing to go for a license? I have the application, they want a $75 processing fee. Well my buddy told me it ended up being $150 when it was all said and done. Is there another $75 fee they collect to take the test? I had planned to just go for my 1c, then it was suggested to do both 1c and 2a. Well on the application you can only check off one license to apply for. So would I have to do 2 applications to take the test for 1c and 2a? Which means it would be $75 for each. I had been told you could do as many as you want but sounding like I was told wrong. If that's the case I may as well just wait. Cause I only really need the 1c right now, only figured I'd get more if I could. If you do end up getting other licenses do they just send you a new one with all your qualifications on it. Or would I end up with a license for each class I pass the test for? Also for experience, since I'm not licensed in anything, but have used forklifts with a company. Should I put that I have any experience, even if it was using them without a license? I was told that portion is usually for out of state drivers just looking to apply in MA and they can list their experience. While my buddy told me that I could list what experience I have. I just don't want to go getting screwed if they catch on that I was operating without a license.

  19. #19Jim152012-06-27 23:18

    If you don't want to believe me, then call Massachusetts Department of Public Safety and talk to them. There is about 2 people in the office, and they are a pain in the ass to deal with. So this is the last time and place I will try to help you. A 2A/1C test is $75, unless you fail or don't show up to your test, then my guess would be you must pay again, but I never failed so I couldn't tell you. That $75 also covers you for between 1 and 2 years of licensure, after that it is $60 every 2 years. Now follow my "Step by step instructions on how to get a monkey to pass the Mass Hydraulics license test" Step 1: Get a DOT physical You need a DOT medical card for your hydraulics license, as well as for driving commercial vehicles over 10,000 pounds. Not all physicians do DOT physicals, so make sure yours does, or call around to find one who does. Print out DOT physical form. Bring form with you. Pass the physical and drug test. Pay doctor. Recieve DOT medical card. Step 2: Study or go to 2A/1C prep course Its up to you, study NIOSH and ANSI hand signals, 520CMR 6.00, and other info you can find, or if you can afford it, attend the Paterson school's 2A/1C prep class, this is the option I chose. I think it gives you an automatic pass as long as you read the book and study the prep questions right before your test. Step 3: Get a photo Go to CVS that does passports. Tell them you need a 1.00" x 1.25" photo for the hydraulics license application. They take your picture. They give you 6 copies, it costs about 50 cents. Step 4: Fill out application Fil in your info. Get to the box with all the classifications. Check the 1C box AND the 2A box if you want 2A/1C, if you only want the 1C, just check the 1C. YOU CAN CHECK MULTIPLE BOXES, I REPEAT YOU CAN CHECK MULTIPLE BOXES. IT DOES NOT REQUIRE TWO APPLICATIONS AND TWO APPLICATION FEES. SAME APPLICATION, NO MORE MONEY. Taken directly from the application, "* You will only be allowed to sit for the exam you indicate by the restrictions checked in this section *" NOTICE THE WORD RESTRICTION(S). THAT MEANS MULTIPLE RESTRICTION(S) NOT ONLY ONE. Now that that difficult section is out of the way, copy your drivers license, DOT medical card, insert your picture and your $75 check or money order, make sure everything is filled out and correct, and BAM your ready to mail it (with stamp affixed). As far as experience, forget about it. IT DOESN'T MATTER, THEY DON'T CARE. It's not a job application, it's not going to weigh on your test. Forklifts only require a safety course because the do not have a "Telescoping boom", they have a mast which raises and lowers. If you do not hold a piece of crap card that says you were properly trained, then you would be in violation. Lulls on the other hand do telescope out, therefore requiring a hydraulics license. Step 5: Mail the application Any advice needed? Step 6: Receive your test date in the mail. It may take a month or two, but they should mail you your test date. The test is only once a month, but I would call them because when I went to update my 2A/1C to a 2A/1B, they never sent me the letter, they thought I mistakenly reapplied for the test when I only needed a renewal, because they were idiots and didn't look at my application. Step 7: Take and pass the test Study the prep questions in the parking lot before your test, that's what I did. If I still knew where they were, I would mail them to you, but I gave them away. Here are some links, right from the application: All candidates for the examination should have a thorough knowledge of the Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 146, Sections 53 – 55 and Sections 64 – 67 and the Massachusetts Regulations 520 CMR 6.00 for hoisting machinery. These regulations are printable from the Public Safety website at: http://www.mass.gov/dps . You may also obtain all of the above Laws and Regulation at your local library, and/or the State House Bookstore at: www.state.ma.us/sec/spr or (617) 727-2834 or in the Springfield area at: (413) 784-1376. OTHER RESOURCE MATERIALS FOR STUDY MAY BE FOUND AT: • Construction Safety Regulations: 29 CFR 1926 OSHA (website: www.osha.gov)or 1-800-321-OSHA(6742) • Dig Safe (website: www.digsafe.com ) or Tel: 1-888-dig-safe(344-7233) • Owner’s Manuals and/or Safety Manuals (website: http://www.aem.org or www.jjkeller.com ) • Bob’s Rigging and Crane Handbook: Pellow Engineering Services, Inc. Owner: Don Pellow 406 West 50th Street, Kansas City, Missouri 64112-2310 (Website) www.donpellow.com Phone/Fax: 816-931-4113 / Phone/Fax 1-877-473-5569 Toll free • The Mobile Crane Manual: Construction Safety Association of Ontario, 21 Voyage Court South., Entobicoke, Ontario M9W 5M7 Canada ( www.csao.org ) or Tel: (800) 781-2726 • Equipment Training Resources, Step 8: Still confused? Call Mass Department of Public Safety at Phone (617) 727-3200.

  20. #20mws_19842012-06-28 06:48

    Oh that covers everything just fine. I would rather just find out from someone else than dealing with people at the office who you say aren't too friendly. I just read the application and it says check only 1 grade of hoisting license. Only reason I questioned it is because I don't want to pick 2 and then they send it back and say I did it wrong and it slows the process. Just somewhat of a stickler for following directions. Seems when ya don't then ya get screwed. Especially with the state of MA. Do one thing a little bit off then they let you hear about it. Physical was done on Monday, so thats set. Don't need a photo, there is now an option for them to access the RMV database for your photo if you sign off to let them. Easier than finding that odd shaped photo. Was able to find some materials online which is what they mention on the application the MA Regulations 520 CMR 6.00 for hoisting machinery. Not sure how I found it, but thats also what my buddy found who has taken the test previously. Not sure how his ended up being $150 in the end. I think he failed once or something. But not my problem. So just need to get my money order, double check I have everything needed to send and off it goes later today. Thank you for your assistance even if ya thought I was a pain. Just don't want to have any snags in the process so I'm detail oriented on stuff. Because some stuff they don't even tell you on the application that others have told me.

  21. #21mws_19842012-08-08 19:08

    Anyone know if this office is like really behind or something, I put in my application at the end of June. Would have thought I'd heard back by now. Hopefully soon.

  22. #22Jim152012-08-08 19:34

    They are definitely understaffed/ behind with the times. You should be able to apply online with a credit card number instead of mailing a paper copy with a check. And then you should get an email with the test date. You probably missed the cutoff for the July test so you should be getting a letter pretty soon about when your test date is, probably last Friday in August. I would call them tomorrow to see if they forgot to send you a letter like they did to me.

  23. #23mws_19842012-08-08 19:50

    Yeah I sent mine June 30th I believe so definitely wasn't gonna get in on the July test. Paid with a $ order cause I was given the cash to help me out with it. Or else I would have a check which I could trace. Hopefully something comes soon. In your instance of them not sending the letter, did they just tell you over the phone when to go? Just thinking if they forgot to send my letter. I'd need to take a day out of work to go for the test. Don't want it to be some last minute thing. Definitely haven't been at my new job long enough to just call out without notice. I'd just go to the next month if that was possible. How long after you take the test do you find out if you passed? I'd assume all by mail still with them being behind in the times?

  24. #24mws_19842012-08-15 13:53

    Called today to find out what was going on. Actually got someone who was pleasant. Told me the information on my testing date would be going out tomorrow. Even told me the date of my test. August 30th. She even mentioned about how I'm probably working in the area of where I live. Somewhat. So hopefully I get to go to a reasonable location for testing, but not counting on it.

  25. #25brian falcone2012-08-18 08:29

    they must be behind...or really lazy. mine expires end of november ...last october i sent my renewal app in with all stuff included....copy of license, health card and photo. got a letter back in january asking for another copy of my license . sent it back in and tried calling, no answer,no returned call. got another letter in march asking for a passport photo. sent another one in and heard nothing till august when they asked for another health card copy. i sent that back with a few choice words and finally last week recieved my 2012 mass hoisting license which expires in 3 months and i get to do this all over again. why cant they make it like the osha card where once you get it ,its good for life. or at least just mail in the fee and not have to get a new card . also a fella from rhode islands department of labor told me rhode island and mass may recognize connecticuts license so if that passes you could just get the ct version for 100 bucks and it would be acceptable in all 3 states.

  26. #26mws_19842012-08-18 08:39

    Yeah that sounds good. My buddy has RI and MA. He is already spreading his name to try to go do site work. Kind of fed up with the job we have with how they seem low on work. He's been there a few months already been home like 4 times I bet. I'm already trying to go back to my old job cause the pay is better and they don't have out of state work. All set not going home at night. To me it looked like the RI license is more complicated to get. Have to get OSHA forklift training or something and have experience. But how do you get experience if you don't have the license to begin with? Maybe it just looks tough to me or maybe it really is. I've got my MA test coming up on the 30th. Hopefully I don't have to travel too far. The lady did ask if I'd be using it in my area more than likely so maybe there is somewhere close to test, but not counting on it.

  27. #27mws_19842012-08-30 12:47

    Ok for anyone who plans to do 2 licenses. Don't follow what was mentioned by another poster to just check off both. I just went for my test and they chose one for me. So I had to take a 2A test and now have to re apply to do 1c. You have to do 2 separate applications cause I told them when I signed in that it was supposed to be both and guy says no you can't do that and check both. There was a couple other guys who had done the same thing. My luck they ran out of extra tests for 1c, cause they did have some for the guys who brought it up. Then I hear the guy say oh hope nobody else this is my last one. So 2 applications if you want to get 1c and 2a. Another $75 and 2 months wait for me I guess.

  28. #28grnmtndigger2013-01-13 20:40

    Do you need a Mass. hoisting/hydraulics license to work for a company that is based out of Mass. but is doing work in another state that does not require a hydraulics license, or does it just pertain to the state of Mass.

  29. #29mws_19842013-01-14 18:01

    If the state you are working in doesn't require a hoisting license then you should be fine. But seeing as your company is based out of MA, might you ever be working within the state. Then that would be reason for you to have the license. Never hurts to have licenses.

  30. #30xcmark2013-01-29 20:32

    I wanted to reopen this thread and give everyone a short story about a Job site down in RI. One of our forman (not myself) has lived and worked in his home state for the past 30+ years was stopped and asked for his operator lic. by a state inspector that was on the job site. At that time our forman with a load hanging for a sling stopped to talk to the DLT inspector and nicely answer all of the questions while the machine was running and he wasnt in the operator seat. Then he want back to work no even thinking that this is a DLT inspector I could be in deep ****........ Well as it turns out there was three $600 fines issued that day, can you guess what they are???? Give up ? Well the company got fined for not having a qualified operator $600 and $600 for haveing the load hanging and machine running without a operator and the true prize goes to the OPERATOR for a $600 personal fine he has to pay sent direct to his home and his social security number .......... So the moral to the story is dont think your not at risk! I personaly can be in RI in 15 mins so I feel its a must for me to get this operators LIC along with my MA. operators LIC.

  31. #31mws_19842013-01-30 17:11

    Yeah definitely need to be careful. I'm a fairly new operator and know I could not afford any fines like that if I got hit. Work on private work so probably not too many inspectors around. Sometimes you just can't help having a load in the air and have to get out of the machine. Like I work in masonry and I'll have to load the silo full of Quikrete bags, so unless I have someone up on it then I have to get out to open the bag so it dumps.

  32. #32swanseacorp2013-04-13 01:18

    i had my 2a last year and i never received a renewal paper and its been expiered for a year now do i have to retake the test again or can i call to pay and renew it

  33. #33PJR99992013-04-22 20:12

    Hey, Do you know if the 2 A license covers bulldozers ? and are the hoisting and hydraulic license the same license? Thanks...

  34. #34Oxbow2013-04-22 21:34

    I am sure that Rhode Island and Mass. are beautiful states, but thank god I don't live/work there!

  35. #35Jim152013-09-03 21:07

    Not sure how they managed to mess yours up that bad, but my last renewal went fairly easily. Ok for anyone who plans to do 2 licenses. Don't follow what was mentioned by another poster to just check off both. I just went for my test and they chose one for me. So I had to take a 2A test and now have to re apply to do 1c. You have to do 2 separate applications cause I told them when I signed in that it was supposed to be both and guy says no you can't do that and check both. There was a couple other guys who had done the same thing. My luck they ran out of extra tests for 1c, cause they did have some for the guys who brought it up. Then I hear the guy say oh hope nobody else this is my last one. So 2 applications if you want to get 1c and 2a. Another $75 and 2 months wait for me I guess. I was still under the impression that nothing had changed since the last time I took the test. I took the 2A/1C in July 2009 when I turned 18, filled out ONE (1) application, checked 2A AND 1C, gave one $75 check, and took both tests at once. Went back in July 2011 and took the 1B test to upgrade to 2A/1B and there were people beside me taking the 2A/1B, 2A/1C, and 2A/1A test with no problems so they must of just recently changed the rules, most likely to grab more money from the working class residents to pay for the food stamp cards of the "poor CITIZENS".

  36. #36Jim152013-09-03 21:10

    Thanks for the heads up. Shouldn't the morale of the story be, if you see a state inspector and no one is around, "accidently" wack him with the bucket, dig a hole, and put him next to Jimmy Hoffa?

  37. #37Jim152013-09-03 21:17

    Dozers are not covered by hydraulics licenses because they do not lift over 500 pounds, lift over 10 feet, or have a 1/4 yard bucket or bigger, as by definition those are the 3 requirements of which if a piece of equipment does not meet at least one of those it does not require a hydraulics/hoisting license. (I.E. Dozers, rollers, pavers, graders, etc.) DO NOT require a license. And to answer another question a Hoisting License and Hydraulics License are one in the same. Class 1 (1A, 1B, and 1C) covers "Hoisting" or cranes. You also now need to have a "Certified Rigger and Signal Person" card as required by OSHA since about 2011 in order to be the designated rigger or signal person. The company is required to either have an OSHA recognized program which issues the card or pay to send you to a third party training facility which trains and gives you the card which is valid only while employed by the employer which paid for you to do the training.