Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

R.O. Stinger winch issue

Dale30 · 2023-02-11 22:55

I’ve got a problem with my winch drifting off under load. This is a new to me boom truck RO Stinger 80-1 that I’ve bought and been working on to try to move a small grain bin with. Everything else works perfect on the machine besides the winch slacking off. I’ve taken the relief valves out of the manifold on the winch motor to check the seals and they are fine. Are there seals inside the cartridges that need to be checked or only the external seals? I can’t read the part# on the cartridges to be able to just replace them. I have deduced it down to either these cartridges or the brake, I’m not sure it has a brake unless it’s inside the winch drum. Any help or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Replies2
  1. #1tractormech2023-02-12 01:15

    Sounds like your brake is worn to the point it's slipping, or a sprag is bad. My money's on the brake. There should be a brake pack and springs between the winch motor and the drum. It's steel plates and friction discs. You'll need to pull the winch off and set it up on it's end and tear it down. You can measure the disc thickness and replace what's worn (they usually give a spec for that) but I replace all the discs and plates and piston seals, and put in all new springs. The brake is oil released and spring applied so good springs are a must. All new parts means the brake piston doesn't travel as far, so it's less wear on the seals. And when you get it fixed make a heavy lift to confirm operation before you put it back to work.

  2. #2Dale302023-02-12 09:52

    Thanks for the reply, I was hoping to not have to pull the winch off of the truck but looks like I’ll have to. It acts like the brake to me too. I guess I’ll go that route and see what I can find!