Hey guys, a few weeks ago I had my radiator brazed on the old girl, 580B, due to an antifreeze leak, today when digging one of them darned stumps, I start to smell a weird smell, turns out to be hydrolic fluid mixed with the antifreeze!!!! it does have the transmission cooler on it, now my question is , can it mix? and will I be better off to get a new radiator? if I get a new radiator, I should be able to get an aftermarket transmission cooler and hook it up in front of the radiator right? I have been looking on ebay at them and wow a bit pricey for one that has the trans cooler too. I would appreciate any advice I can get on this issue. And bye the way,,,, my starter adjuster bolt has started leaking again!!! I am sure the flushing of the engine will not be too bad of a job after the proper repairs are finished. Thanks guys for any help
Good luck with your radiator...I brazed mine twice, had it brazed professionally once, and it would just start leaking somewhere else. I ended up buying a new one. On the bright side, if the new one lasts nearly 40 years like the first one did, it will outlive me!
G45484 is the part number for the lower radiator tank with cooler if it is still available as a seperate part. The cooler is inline with the main pressure feed to the shuttle and any aftermarket accessory cooler would have to be designed for system pressure, guessing over 250 PSI, off the top of my head. Most are designed for low pressure flow, not a full pressure application. Mel
For flushing the engine use a non-foaming powder detergent suitable for a domestic dishwasher, something like Cascade. It will get the inside of the cooling system as clean as a new pin but you may have to do it a couple of times to get all the oil out. Using a detergent that foams (most laundry detergents will) can lead to all sorts of problems.
Thank You guys for the information, I did not know that the pressure was so high for the trans!! Wow!! Nige, I thank you too I had better do that too when I get it back or get a new one whatever has to happen, Very true about the new one lasing about 40 years LOL. I have not heard from the radiator guy yet to see what the outcome is going to be. Awesome Group! Lots of info, I hope I will be sharing experiences in the future as some of you Pros have been sharing with us newbies! Thanks Mike
I think its a better option to buy new one in order to get rid off from this problem. :notworthy
Ok so I got the radiator back today from the shop, He pressure tested it and said it is fine!!?? The problem I had was it was leaking what I thought was hydrolic fluid and water out of the cap and getting on the exhaust. What It may be is radiator stop leak?!? Guessing, could it be that the water pump has gone bad, and that its just getting hot and bubbling over? If that is fact, why would it come out of the top and not go out the little overflow tube? guess that could be plugged up, I had just replaced the thermostat, and I will tomarrow take that out and see if it circulating water. I am thinking out loud here guys. Thanks for the advice Mike