Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

raising the cab on Gehl skid steer

gencntrctr ยท 2010-01-02 19:26

I have a Gehl 5635 DXT skid steer. I need to raise the cab. I have removed the two front cab bolts, but can't lift the cab. Any ideas? Maybe I'm just being retarded. LOL. The machine sits outdoors and it's been very cold. Wondering if it's just froze down.

Replies4
  1. #1Willis Bushogin2010-01-02 20:34

    cab If my memory serves me correctly, Gehl is a Takeuchi, so this is what I have done. If you have another machine, hook up a chain/strap some how to the back end of the cab (I call back end the radiator end). from the front of the machine and with the chain on top, pull with a machine or a truck. The hinge points are/should be at the bucket end of the machine, so have the towing device, in front of the machine. Slowly pull with the towing machine, until the cab starts to lift, once it gets part the way up, you should be able to do it by hand. Have the bucket on the ground, not in the air for safety reasons. There should be safety struts for the cab, just be safe in all this. Of course if the cab doesnt move, dont force it, make sure that all the bolts are out, there should only be two bolts, maybe a 15/16 wrench fit it or 1" Im sure that the bolts should be at the rear of the machine, about the same locations as the top of the rear glass, they are on my Takeuchi and I think I was told they made Gehl, hope Im correct. The bolts at the front (bucket end) should be the cab hinge bolts, they dont come out. Best bet, is to call the dealer Good Luck

  2. #2bill onthehill2010-01-02 20:43

    Whoa! if you removed the 2 big bolts in the front it will tilt up toward the engine door. My 4640 was hard but once I broke the dirt loose it went right up and was easy to get to things. Use a pry bar to stat the lift. While you are working on it if you can pull it up on some 2x8 stacked 3 high you will be able to drop the belly pans and clean things out real good. Check your front pump mount bolts. Mine were loose but I caught it before it hurt anything. I ended up using my backhoe to flatten out my pans so they fit back up better. If I remember right you need to drop the front pan first. Any ?" just give a holler.

  3. #3gencntrctr2010-01-02 21:48

    Bill, I figured it tipped toward the back of the machine. I just need to lift the cab to remove the blower control to get the heater working. LOL! The windows fog & ice when Im trying to plow and Im suppose to get a good amount of snow tonight. Love northern NY!!!!

  4. #4bill onthehill2010-01-03 05:57

    Heater? Wish I had that luxury. Mine consists of 2 old pieces of plexiglass that I bolt on the sides. Wish I had put them on with the way the wind is blowing. You must be up there east of lakes. Keep that snow up there! we have only had one real plowable snow so far. Just keeps missing us but the wind has been howling for 2 days now. Mine is used mostly for hauling slab wood to the boiler so far this winter.