OOP'S I ran dry of fuel in my case 580E, I've been trying to repressurize the system. Following the direction's in my service manual, I pump the fuel pump by hand until the fuel stream/s out of the loosened manifold fitting, then tighten it. turn the key (not to start), crack loose the fitting on the injector pump and hand pump until it stream/s fuel as well. The problem I'm having is I can't get any fuel from the injector pump fitting at all. What am I doing wrong? Thank's Chris
It must be that time of the year, I did the same thing with my dozer and spent a good part of the day getting it going on Saturday. First, take off your fuel filter and fill it up with diesel. Mine was half empty. Then loosen the fitting the goes from the fuel filter to where it's going. Pump until you get clear fuel coming out. Tighten it and go to the next place that you can loosen the fitting. Pump again until you get clear fuel coming out. I had to do three places before getting to my injectors. I loosened four out of six lines going into my injectors and turned over the engine. After the injector pump, I don't think you can pump anymore and you will have to use the starter. I got ALLOT of bubbles out of the line to the injectors. Once the bubbles stoped, I tightened them up and it fired right up. I've had to do this with my backhoe and my little compact tractor. It's always the same basic process, just a variation on the number of fittings to loosen up. Good luck, Eddie
I usually loosen the fittings on the top of the injectors and crank it over until you get fuel spraying out there. Tighten them back up and she should take off.
If you have access to an air compressor, cover the fuel tank inlet with a rag and insert a blow nozzle in the rag, pressurize the fuel tank and have someone try to crank the machine. Also I have used ether but that is a touchy subject because it has to be done with caution, you can't just spray it and crank it.
This happened to me one time and it was the power going to the fuel cutoff solinoid,but the tank was almost empty and I thought it was out of fuel but it was the solinoid,check ! John b
Thank's for the input guy's, will give it a try again this morning.
Did you get your machine running?
: Machine is up and running again. Filled the filters with diesel, pumped a bit, cracked one injector line and she fired right up. Chris
I'd be really careful with that. You'd probably be surprised at how little pressure those tanks are designed to handle. I've personally gathered up the bits and pieces that were left of a guy who had a fuel tank rupture under pressure when he was doing exactly what you suggested. Brian
A square tank can only safely hold 4psi... Anything more with blow the corners right out.
Something I have done is to use an electric vaccum pump, and put a vaccum on the return line. As you crank, it will help draw the fuel through the injector pump, and into the injectors. It has always worked for me, as long as you have a return line.
I realize now that the air pressure idea was probably not a good one, I have used this in the past on different pieces of equipment, I try not to induce to much pressure, but I have noticed the tank sides swell out and will back off of the pressure.
fuel I run a Cat 416 out of fuel one time and had a pine straw sucked up into the injector pump!