mr. kreig, can we persuade you to write a grader textbook? your posts have taught me more tricks about this complex machine and i would absolutely buy a textbook on the subject.
Mark me down for one too. Please!!!
Are you serious? Q and Ledsel I appreciate that very much. I did write the H Series Application Guide for Caterpillar in 1996 and produced two of the Application Videos. I must admit though that I never got every thing in the application guide I wanted. Like everything we had a deadline with the publishing company and we were working on resolving other issues simultaneously. Ironically some of the issues were bounce on a certain machine. I also was warned to keep the application guide somewhat risk free, no advocating risky operating procedures for fear of being sued if some guy rolled his grader while attempting to grade on too steep of slope. People love to sue big manufactures with deep pockets. Even at that it still had to go back to the publishing company 13 times for editing and still has a few items that should have been corrected. It was printed in several different languages and is still available at Caterpillar dealers parts counter as document #AEGQ0945. Regards, Randy Krieg
All the more reason to write your own book...
randy, ever put anything on u tube ? always like your post
some videos would be awsome!!!
true, until you sit back and think about this line Mr Krieg, I have the H series application guide, and the video, and i must say it has helped me think of a grader for other things than a final pass down a highway. Now if i could just find a full time seat in one and start stealing work away from the small dozers, i would be a happy man.
Randy, I've learned more in the last 3 hours from reading your posts than I have had from asking questions at work for the last 4 years! (Thanks) I guess some people don't like to share their knowledge with others. I have been working on the slope for about 4 years now but cannot find anyone to show me what it takes to build ice roads and pads, can you help me out with some basic's. Your pics have helped alot so far. Regards, Jess.
I know nothing! Hello. I know nothing! One of the reasons some people are unwilling to help is that they simply do not know. I have worked with superintendents who knew almost nothing. I have seen people from Mexico who were far better operators than the operators they had, and we were all from Sinaloa at the time, so I had just as much training at this as everyone else, jump on a machine and figure it out!
ΕΝ ΟΙΔΑ ΟΤΙ ΟΥΔΕΝ ΟΙΔΑ. (Σωκράτης) Means: One think I know for sure is that I know nothing.
Technology V Commonsense Maybe with all the new technology that is appearing on all forms of machinery today, the heirarchy is being lulled into a false sense of security that operators need minimal training or experience as the computer systems will keep it all under control. Classic example- young mechanic turns up to see why truck is overheating out on the highway in the rain, plugs in the "gear", systems seem ok, truck has cooled off by then, $500 call out fee (thankyou very much). Truck arrives back at base unloaded & still running a bit warm. Pull the bonnet up & have look inside, dirt (dry cow manure from previous job moving dry feedlot waste) between the intercooler & radiator The moral of the story, don't just rely on the technology, use the human senses plus a dash of commonsense ointhead Cheers