Hi all Any suggestions on how to remove the battery from a Positrack RC30 tracked skid steer. There isnt much room in there and I just "caint git im out" (An aussie attempt to speak like a southerner :drinkup) Cheers
Hey BD, I'm not familiar with the layout of the RC30. Describe what's givin' you a fit 'bout it. By the way, I thought Aussie's was southerners.
If they are from Victoria...or are otherwise somewhere south of where your at they get called Mexicans over here. I think the correct term Dazz was looking for is to "git er dun" Surely there must be an RC 30 owner that can rescue this thread:cool2
Well I spose I am a southerner, being 90k's from the bottom of the bottom of Aus :tong The prob is that the battery is tucked away in the left rear corner of the engine bay and the fuel pump stops it coming across far enough to then lift up and out of the corner. The top of the chassis/frame rolls over so is narrower than the bottom. There is a pipe from the radiator that I might have to remove to give me just a little more wiggle room but I dont want to start cracking pipes if i can help it. Kinda hoping there is a trick to it. :cool2
I had the same problem on my 30-replacement is not quite as easy as manual shows. I had to move the pipe, which goes to hydraulic cooler, it looks like the radiator, but its not. ( so clean real good beforehand) You might have to loosen fuse box, not positive about this- Just 2 bolts. It is much more frustrating than it needs to be. Good luck
Thanks for that, May be pulling the engine out after all, son just put it on its nose and took me a minute to get to him while watching smoke bellow from the exhaust and a bearing rattle
I found that i had to tilt the battery on the side, lets see if i can remember what i took off, i think i took off the fan blade cover a place at the front of the engine bay, moved some of the electrical stuff and then got all my muscles and pulled like hell. Just make sure that the battery you put back in a sealed one so it doesn't leak when you put it on its side.
Hi All Well got it out. Had to remove the hydraulic line that goes up to the radiator top and also unbolt the fuse box and it moves out of the way and it kind of slides up and out after much twisting :spongebob
Thanks for the follow up. Makes a thread a lot more useful down the road.
I know I'm a month late on this post, sorry. I got my battery out of my RC30 without unhooking or loosening anything besides the hold down bracket. It is like a chinese puzzle box. What I did is just remove the hold down bracket, slide it to the right and wiggle/shake and pull it past the lines in front of the battery. you have to tip the battery on its end and pull up with the carry strap while also pulling up on the bottom of the battery. The left side of the battery is straight up. It really sux and is a MAJOR PAIN IN THE ***. Why couldn't they make it easier. My battery was dead and I could not jump it so I had to go to Napa and they had nearly the exact battery but the carry strap was tight against the battery so it was a few centimeters smaller which was nice when I put it back. Hope this helps future people. It just may be easier Doing it the way Big Dazzler did it but I did not want to remove anything.
Hi Smalley That was timely advice, thanks. I actually ended up putting the original battery back in after charging it for a week solid (ASV dealer suggested it had worked in the past). So the battery lasted a bit longer and then died with the cold weather. So a new one went in today. Didnt disconnect anything to begin with but struggled to get it in. Ended up undoing the throttle lever (where it connects to the fuel pump just to give me a little extra room as it was jamming between the side frame and the pump. This gave me just enough room to wiggle and jiggle ( and curse and kick the cat ) till it plopped in. All cool now!