Okay, I'm a newby. I bought a bobcat 873c with a 4 cylinder deutz oil cooled a couple of years ago from a county Police auction. It had sit there approx. 4 years before it was auctioned off. When I bought it all four of the fuel pump locks were froze. before I figured out how to soak them and free the locks up I had done broke one. Found an 873 in the bone yard looked the same but numbers were different on the pump. Put it in, after putting new filter in fuel tank & getting everything working ran great for about a year. Was using it about a month ago it started making a noise not really a knocking noise ( about like a blown out spark plug noise). Shut it off immediately! Did start it back up @ low idle, felt the metal injector line from pump to injector, it was the one I had put the mix matched pump on. Pulled the Head, one of the valve heads was sticking straight up in the middle of the piston. I work @ O'Reilly auto parts in Commercial Sales, and one of my customers works on skidsteers and he told me the mix matched pump I put in there caused it. He couldn't tell me why he just said everyone he ever seen mixed like that had trouble with! It has 2500 hrs. on it. I can't find the plate with model and serial # on it but the pics. i've seen looks like bf4m1011f. Did not hurt piston wall at all, they don't have any wear or a lip at top where ring would stop @ all. As for the head there is a ding between the two valves on that cylinder but its not into where the valves seat. Anyone one ever had this happen? Engine doesn't look to hard to pull. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Help!!!!!! 70 people have read my thread and this has never happened to anyone else!! PLease, give some advice if this has ever happened to you or you can give me your opinion!!!! Valve embedded in piston! Thanks Harley
I don't know that there's a specific exact cause for a dropped valve, could be a number of things caused it. Did you have any bent valve pushrods?
No bent pushrods, I even started it back up @ low idle after it happened. Thanks for responding!!
No bent pushrods, could be one of those **** happens kind of things. But that engine is notorious for problems from failed timing belt. If it has several thousand hours on the engine, or you don't know anything about the service history, might not be a bad idea to either check or replace that timing belt.
i've seen more than a few jump time, break timing belts, bend pushrods, but never saw one drop a valve. :beatsme :drinkup
That's kind of what I was figuring and if sh** is going to happen it is to me. but do you think the mix matched pump had anything to do with it. It ran fine seems like bobcat wanted about 800.00 for one of those pumps but I ran that one for about a year. I am def. going to change timing belt. And all hydralic hoses to pump and anything else I can't get to easily. I had one more problem, which is now secondary to this. When I would use it, I would have to put about 1/2 gallon of hydralic fluid in it to get it to the middle of the eye. I took the side cover off the right side, could see it drip but could not tell exactly where it was coming from. I feel as if its a seal in the pump but i'm going to fix everything possible while I have engine out. Thanks so much for the help.
I don't believe anyone else has ever heard of this either. I'm going to take a pic. of it an post. it just popped the head off the valve and is sticking up straight up in the middle of piston. Didn't bust piston either. Kinda looks like it was made there. Thanks for reply!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
873 c series Okay, it's me again. still have not got engine fixed, Need piston, exhaust valve, timing kit, also going to replace rod bearings and rings, also need head set w/ 1notch head gasket. As I said I bought it @ sheriff's auction. all serial # plates are gone. its an 873 c series. no number stamped in block between oil filter and flywheel housing or any other place, and yes I have scraped paint, looked w/ magnifying glass, no serial #. Bobcat say they can't help. they put 12 engines in these I'm pretty sure its a 96' 97' model as thats the only years I can find a C series. Its a deutz bf4m1011, deutz says they must first put a serial # in or it kicks them out. This is unbelieveable how hard this is. I have oe # off of rod bearings, 1 notch head gasket, I have been told there are 2 sets of rings possibly, 3mm,2mm,3mm ring set, also a 3mm, 2.5mm, 3.5mm set, mine is the 3mm, 2.5mm, 3.5mm. then they say they don't have a piston to take those, I would have to buy one for 3,2,3,mm assembly, then they sell me 3 sets of what I actually need. Somebody PLEASE HELP ME! THANKS mechanic needs his room. Or if I can get a serial # for a 97' bobcat 873 c series with a deutz oil cooled engine. oil cooler lines are on each end. bf4m 1011. I have one off an f series, engine looks the same but would rather have one off a c series. I'm told there is a long stroke, short stroke. which with what I need I don't see where what stroke it has matters rods are fine. Just piston, and exhaust valve. ANY help will be greatly appreaciated.:notworthy :Banghead:bash