Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Re-Sealing Hydraulic Cylinders?

mmoscari · 2012-11-19 06:25

Hello, I'm new to this forum. I just purchased a 1972 CASE 450D Track Loader. Cash is tight and I have a few things that I want to do before I start to use it to restore my property that was devastated by Hurricane Sandy. Two of the Cylinders leak Hydraulic Fluid, other wise they work fine. How difficult is it to install new seals yourself? I'm very mechanically able, but have never take a cylinder apart before. I’m afraid if I pull the piston out I won’t be able to get it back in. Do I even need to pull it out at all, or does the rod somehow unscrew from the piston to just change the seal?

Replies2
  1. #1SVIPD2012-11-19 08:48

    Its not a job that I difficult you just need to have the right tools to get the rod out and the ability to pack the new O-Rings and wipers. The knowledge to do the job is easy but the toold needed are what put most people over buget. I can help save you some money by matching the O-Ring and wiper kit and selling it to you at a discount or merely have you BETA test the product for me and I could possibly give it to you for free in exchange for feedback on the product. Let me know if I can help.

  2. #2mmoscari2012-11-19 21:55

    Thanks for the reply and offer. I just learned that my son has rebuilt cylinders where he works and has access to parts. After reading some of the transmission problem posts. Ive decided to give it a good workout before investing any more into it. It’s a lot more complicated than the 1956 Oliver OC4 that I used to have.