Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Re-skin skid loader bucket

dirtmonkey ยท 2013-09-19 14:51

Hey guys I need some thought on this. It's time for a new bucket ( 4n1 ) but at this time of year I want to go on the cheap for now. Iim thinking of just re skinning the bottom of the bucket just to get me buy for say a year or two. Due to the shape of the bottom of the bucket ( pia ) , I'm only gonna cut out one section but the rest is going to get overlaid. This is more along the line of my abilities. I know the obvious and proper answer would be ar400 or so. But , would 3/16 or 1/4 mild steel hold up as temp fix. The reason I'm looking at 3/16 -1/4 is I need to heat and bend one end to shape and hopefully do it with out going through a whole bottle of gas. Also will 7018 rod work. Thoughts :beatsme

Replies5
  1. #1Delmer2013-09-19 20:07

    I'd be surprised if the original was anything more than 3/16" mild steel. It's not a mining bucket. My friendly local machinist has a brake and shear so I brought a plate along when I picked up some rods. He cut and bent it in about 5 minutes (spread over about 30 minutes of walk in customers), I won't say how little he charged me, but then I won't admit how long he took to finish the rods either. No way I would try to heat and bend something like that if you have an easy alternative. Use whatever rod you're comfortable with. Curious, what did in the old one, wear, rust or combination? and how much do you use this that you're only expecting a year or two out of it?

  2. #2Randy882013-09-19 20:21

    What delmer said, he nailed it perfectly

  3. #3dirtmonkey2013-09-20 08:04

    Thanks for your response guys ! The bucket is a very heavy bucket. The sides are almost 1/4 inch. The bottom is weird. The front half is single plate where the cutting edge attaches , for about a foot back. But that is at a slope. Then it stops. Here is the fun part. Now the bottom becomes a two piece floor and come out flush with the bottom sides of the bucket sides.:crazy Are you following me ?? Wish I could post pics easier from an pad. :bash Any way. My goal is to cheat and skin the whole bottom of the bucket to avoid all the goofy crap. This bucket is just worn out. It has over 4k hours since new and if my repairs last longer than expected than that even better. I can weld like a son of a gun with 6011 but not so good with 7018. Go figure :beatsme This bucket does a lot of grading and back dragging , that's why I'm thinking 7018 for abrasion. I hope all this makes cense . I can think it but suck at typing it. If I can post a pic ill try.

  4. #4monster762013-09-20 12:28

    if you want to email me the pics i can post them for you [email protected] . most of the skid loader buckets i have seen are mild steel id say go for it

  5. #5Delmer2013-09-20 21:33

    Sounds like a standard 4in1 if I'm following right. The "dozer" blade part needs that cross section for strength. Either figure out how to weld with 7018 or use 6011 if that's still what you're better with. The weld will still be a stronger steel than the mild plate.