Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Really Nice Older Iron

willie59 ยท 2009-04-04 20:36

I stopped by the shop of a couple of buddie's of mine that I grew up with as a kid. They run a small excavating company their dad started. They have a number of older machines and trucks that are in well kept condition. Took a few pics for y'all to look at, I'm sure a bunch of you guys have run some of these machines. Here's an odd one for 'ya. A Bucyrus-Erie 190 loader/hoe. It has a 3-53 Detroit Next up is a rough one, but I had to get a pic of it. A Marshall pull scaper tractor with a 4-71, and the Hancock bowl behind it.

Replies29
  1. #1willie592009-04-04 20:50

    I sent in some more, but when I hit submit they just disappeared, so, try again. Now the good stuff. Nice D8K in incredible shape. I'd love to get on this baby for a while. 12G grader 315C scraper

  2. #2willie592009-04-04 20:59

    Yeah, I forgot about the 120 second post delay. A really nice 980B loader. Their Mack DM600 with camel back suspension and 54,000 lb axles, beast of a truck, alongside their Autocar. Lastly, their sweet R-model Mack lowboy tractor.

  3. #3dumpchuck2009-04-04 21:05

    Cool pics! Never seen a Marshall tractor before. And you're right, that is one fine looking D8K. Several local contractors in this area still run some 8K's that are in good shape. I've also seen a nice D8H working up the road from me a while back. Much nicer than the one I use to run.

  4. #4td25c2009-04-04 21:06

    Wow! I did not realize that Bucyrus-erie made a rubber tired backhoe.I looks like it's in showroom condition.The D8k looks good to.Great pictures.

  5. #5CAT D9H2009-04-04 21:16

    Great pics love the old Cats

  6. #6willie592009-04-04 22:17

    Yeah, that's why I made sure to get a pic of it, I didn't figure anybody would believe me on that one.

  7. #7bill53622009-04-04 22:27

    Thanks for sharing the pics, is the equipment for sale or is this his fleet

  8. #8willie592009-04-04 22:49

    Naw, they ain't sellin' 'em. It's the fleet of the two brothers that own the company. They take good care of their stuff.

  9. #9Steve Frazier2009-04-05 00:08

    Back in the 70s and 80s, DynaHoe's were all you saw digging in NYC, they were very common.....and NOISY!!! Pretty near indestructible too. Must be a northeast thing. Wish you had gotten a shot of that Mack F, you don't see them around much anymore either.

  10. #10willie592009-04-05 00:24

    I was thinking to myself when I was taking the pics that I should take one of that F model Mack because someone would spot it. Darned if I wasn't right, somebody did! :Banghead The F model used to be the workhorse of the UPS fleet.

  11. #11Steve Frazier2009-04-05 11:13

    And a multitude of other companies as well. I can remember seeing as many with sleeper cabs as without. I said the DynaHoes were noisy, the Detroit powered ones were. All except the last ones produced were Detroit powered, then they switched to Cummins for power just before they became unavailable. I did a little search on them and found that Terex now owns Bucyrus-Erie rights.

  12. #12cat 3852009-04-05 13:42

    no rippers on the 8? was there a hitch or winch? just curious if you happend to notice.

  13. #13willie592009-04-05 14:13

    Just a hitch on the back. They had a TD20 with rippers, I forgot to insert that pic yesterday.

  14. #14willie592009-04-05 14:32

    I've run Detroits in just about everything, but not once a loader/hoe. A Detroit in a hoe just seems kinda'...weird? :laugh Still, it looked like that old B-E was built like a tank.

  15. #15Steve Frazier2009-04-05 16:14

    They were built like tanks, which is probably why they were so common in NYC and surrounding areas. Much of the work there is demolition or renovation, a tough environment to work in. That may have been their demise too, they were so heavy and cumbersome, and very slow by today's standards.

  16. #16Taylortractornu2009-04-05 16:37

    Great pics, I think the tractor scraper is an MRS Made in Flora MS the company was name Mississippi Road Service or road scraper I cant rember but a friend collects them.

  17. #17Taylortractornu2009-04-05 18:04

    Great pics, I think the tractor scraper is an MRS Made in Flora MS the company was name Mississippi Road Service or road scraper I cant rember but a friend collects them. I like the Dyna hoe to I know where there is a 4 wheel drive on for 5000. I m thinking of buying it for the landfill I work in since my brother was bought out. We need a way to load a dump truck whrn the scraper is down. I think this one has the John Deere motor.

  18. #18WabcoMan2009-04-05 18:40

    Marshall & Scraper I think that "Marshall" with the Hancock elevating scraper may actually be an M-R-S - Mississippi Road Supply ointhead

  19. #19dpull2009-04-05 20:47

    Scraper Great pic's of older iron in nice shape, The scraper kinda looks like a MRS but I have never seen one that small. dpull

  20. #20willie592009-04-05 21:11

    I'm glad a couple of you guys got onto the scraper. I know nothing about that thing but I knew it was worth taking a picture of. It has M-R-S on the oval plate on the front, but it's my mistake that I didn't look closely at the plate on the side. What I mistakenly thought said "MARSHALL" is in fact "M-R-S ALL WHEEL DRIVE." I have since learned the most common scraper behind the MRS was the Wooldridge. In the '60s MRS started building them with the Hancock elevating scraper as well. There's gotta be someone out there that knows something about these things.

  21. #21Speedpup2009-04-07 05:48

    sad part is most of that stuff doesn't look old to me. That tells me something about myself right?

  22. #22willie592009-04-07 20:35

    Yeah, I told my wife several years ago "don't buy me no birthday cake, we might burn the house down!" :bouncegri

  23. #23dieseldave2009-04-07 22:59

    That's some clean lookin' old iron right there.:drinkup That 980 doesn't have a V8 in it, does it? I think some of those older ones had the D336 in 'em.

  24. #24willie592009-04-07 23:07

    I didn't look to see what engine it had. These two brothers take good care of their stuff. They do have a D4H and a 963, but most of their fleet is "older stuff". When the day comes that they retire and sell off their fleet, there's going to be some nice older iron to be had.

  25. #25dynahoescott2010-01-08 21:13

    I have to tell you guys, that dynahoe is not nearly as rare as you might think, I grew up in jersey city in the seventies and up until the late nineties all you ever saw were dynahoes digging in the impossible granite we have up here. I personally ran one for 9 years straight, got to love them, loud detroits and damn near indestructible:usa

  26. #26Dominion 4102010-01-08 22:11

    Iron Nice looking fleet. Like the DM Mack with 54,000 rears on camel back-that's the stuff:drinkup:drinkup Dominion:canada

  27. #27willie592010-01-08 22:40

    Hi dynahoescott. As Steve mentioned erlier, they were pretty common in your area, not so much around here. Nice unit the Lett boys have. Yep Dominion, that's a nice Mack they have. It occasionally grades the hill by my shop, and I can tell by the sound it's their Mack coming up the hill. The old DM is in really good shape. :yup

  28. #28Taylortractornu2010-01-11 20:40

    ATCO Classic Plant and Machinery had a series of issues of THE MRS story. A friend of mine Darrel Harp knows one of the founders of MRS. This spring if the Lord is willing Ill get to meet this man. MRS had a tractor with a blade and a large backhoe like a Dynahoe, Then had one that had a blade on the front and a loader on the rear with a swichable operators station.

  29. #29willie592010-01-11 20:56

    Sounds cool! If ya get to go, be sure and get us some pics.