Here are pictures of an early hydro-electric dam on the white river in williams IN.It was built in the late 1920's or early 1930's.It's an arch style dam made of concrete walls maybe 2 feet thick.It's hollow on the inside with wall's every 30 feet that have a doorway in the center.So you could climb down one side and walk though the dam and climb up the other side and be on the other side of the river.It used turbines and had generators on top of the station.It made power from the middle 1930's untill the early 1960's.It's still there today.I wonder how may kilowatts of electricity have flowed over it sense the early 1960's when they shut the power plant down.Everyone talks about clean renewable energy these day's.I know where a good dam is going to waste.
Wow, that is a shame. In the pics, the water is standing still. In real life, it's gallons of energy flowing by every hour. If the dam is no longer sound, for whatever reason, to generate, build a new one. It's still natural energy. The first dam built by the Tennessee Valley Authority was Norris Dam, about 35 miles north of me. It was the first TVA generated electricity in Eastern Tennessee, and for many homes in this area, it was the first electricity. It was completed in 1936, it's still cranking out electricity. http://www.tngenweb.org/tva/NorrisDam/norris.php
The water appears to be standing still on the top side of the dam.On the backside there is a 15 foot drop.when I took the picture there was about 18 inches of water going over the dam.It's a good example of wasted money & effort by todays standards.They had good engineers & Workmen back then,The dam is still there today.I just hate to see anything that good go to waste.
Well, I didn't say that right, but that's what I meant. In a "still photo", water is "standing still". In real life it's always "moving". Every hour of "real life" is energy going over that dam.
I new what you were saying.I just hate to see money wasted on projects that wont be maintained in the future.We can learn alot from the past.
Mammoth Spring Arkansas We got the same thing about 50 miles from me at Mammoth Spring. Quit making Power and made it into a State Park.
I think this was a standard dam design in late 1920's or early 1930's throughout the country.
Ohio Too In Cuyahoga Falls a burb of Akron to the NW of Akron is the Valley, where there is housed a dam that also was a power station. It too was shut down in the guise of being "too costly to operate". Edison Gorge Dam was built in 1916 to provide cooling for a coal-fired plant upstream and energy for a hydro-electric plant that was abandoned more than 50-years ago. The pipe and other structures on the far bank were constructed in 1998 as a demonstration project by a company that has since gone bankrupt. The proposal new plant would generate less than 2.5-Megawatts of power, enough to power only a thousand homes. Photo by Karen Schaefer [/ATTACH] So here it sits, can't make enough power to make it a commercial venture! I think since thay built this plant, the physical size of the turbines could be reduced with an upgrade in power output. I mean there was a guy on a Bob Vila show that took out the main gang shaft of a 16th century shutter mill, and replace it with a generator, and made each station run independantly, than all run at the same time off the gang shaft. So now instead of the whole mill running, the man just flipped a power box that ran an electric motor to the machine he was using at the time! This man makes all kinds of authemtic and custom shutters for 16th century homes and newer, and sells his surplus power to the municipality! If memory serves me correctly, the man had a 5 Megawatt generator. 5 MW = 5000 kW or 2000 homes, and no air polution, or toxic waste of nuklear waste! Oh well I guess?
Williams dam: You're right, of course rino... :thumbsup And 5 Megawatts [MW] = 5,000,000 Watts [W]... ... lol I just did that... so I could post a link to one of the handiest little calculators I've found on the Web... :cool2 Check it out and book mark it... unless you've found a better one, or already have it... http://rlhudson.com/Unit Converter/index.htm Here's another one that's real handy. http://www2.whidbey.net/ohmsmath/webwork/javascript/decin2fr.html One more... lol I used this one when I was figuring the best mounting location for a pusher lift axle on our water tender... http://www.roscommonequipmentcenter.com/eng_calc.html Instructions for the above calculator ... http://www.roscommonequipmentcenter.com/eng_exp.html OCR On edit: Dang, I might have put these in the wrong thread... I guess they can be deleted, or moved, if need be...
Been there dozens of times. Ever walked across the rocks across the river. Up until a few years ago you could. Now they have it all fenced off. :beatsme
hey 25c done a lot of fishin' around that dam......real shame it not turnin' power any more...
It's a neet dam,They done a good job on the concrete work.The park office has pictures of it under construction.They mixed the concrete on site,built a narrow guage rail trussel across the river to get the concrete to the dam.Williams is a nice little town.I understand the fishin' is good ghitch75.