Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Rebuild Swing Cylinders JD 410B

JD Buck · 2024-10-20 10:45

Hey guys first time on the site. I took out my 2 swing cylinders off my 1985 JD 410B. I ordered a rebuild kit for the 2” and the 4” cylinder and bore. After taking out the seals I noticed that the kit I bought has 30+ seals when the seals I took out are about 10 or so. Do these kits come versatile for other machines and I just take which seals pertain to me or are there a lot more seals buried inside that I can’t see? Also the seals are larger than the ones i pulled out so I can’t reinstall until I figure this out. The inner approx 1” seal was cut when I took it out but the new one wasn’t cut. I couldn’t get it in so I cut it and got it in but I can’t push it in tight enough to make it a smooth bore. JD RE 16118/JD RE 16119 are the part #s I have. Also the kit I have doesn’t have seals that look exactly like the ones I took off so I’m a little wary of trying to make it work without seeing the exact same seal as the one I pulled out. 1. should I be looking at another seal kit 2. is there any other way of installing seals that are bigger than I pulled out. “Hot Water”?

Replies4
  1. #1JL Sargent2024-10-20 12:15

    Welcome to the forum. I'm not familiar with your specific machine, but a lot of times those kits cover more than one year/application so it's not uncommon to have seals that you might not use. I have you searched on Youtube for a video? Might be one there to help you sort it out.

  2. #2Diesel Dave2024-10-20 13:40

    @JD Buck , Does your end cap (item #1 in the screenshot) have 4 notches in the end like the screenshot or just 2 holes in the end ? .

  3. #3JD Buck2024-11-17 08:04

    Yes that breakdown looks correct. So I purchased 2 sets of seals online because I’ve noticed the seals aren’t the exact same size as the seals I took out. Thinking I still didn’t have the correct seal kit I spent $730 at the JD dealer to only find these seals are the same as the $200 seals I previously bought. Bottom line is everything I’ve put back I either needed to shave down to fit or cut to fit. I also reused some rings clips top/bottom of the ware bands because the 3 kits I bought don’t match what I took out. Im wondering if this is the issues anyone else runs into or the original parts I took out aren’t the original parts as they don’t match the 3 different seal kits I bought. I finished all the 4” seals and the inner seals are my issue now. No new seals looks remotely close to what I took out. I have a doubled up seal one on top of the other that is not in any of my kits. Any insight on these seals not being what I pulled out would be appreciated. Notice the top/bottom clip are not the same thickness. The top more narrow clip I pulled two off the cylinder. The seal kit came with 2 of the lower clip. I would need to shave down the outer ring to make this detail work. I just didn’t think I would need to do so much modification to these seal kits to make them fit. Am I the only one that has these issues?

  4. #4Diesel Dave2024-11-17 12:22

    Is the piston marked # R78022 ? That style of piston seal assembly part # (RE11904) with a seal expander/ cap seal / (2) identical backup rings has been around for a long time and I have never had to modify one to fit. .