Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Rebuilding water pump 1s5910 for cat d4d 78a dust seal question

CaptainB · 2025-09-17 21:59

So I have been working on rebuilding the water pump of my d4d So this is the parts diagram that I am using I ordered the parts online and first thing I noticed there is this cage that bolts to the pump assembly (3s6610) and there is a seal (5m9738) there is no mention of a sleeve shaft wear or inner protection sleeve or anything but I found this: So I have no idea what this is ChatGPT suggest it’s a protection sleeve so thet the cage does not get wear damage, so I put it back with the seal inside and its a decent fit the seal is supposed to protect from dust and debris the end result is not pretty: Can I just do without the sleeve? It looks a bit crude I don’t thin this is caterpillar oem or anything maybe the previous owner tried to make a seal and made this steel ring (not sure it’s steel it seems a bit soft to me malleable) In any case I have no idea what part number that stupid silver ring is because there is no mention of that on the parts diagram I have another question but I will make another post What do you think of how it looks? I think it looks ok I wish I could just throw the silver metal ring into the trash bin and do without it Thanks

Replies4
  1. #1Coaldust2025-09-18 01:47

    The silver ring is part of the original seal and the replacement seal is the wrong part. That’s my guess. I haven’t had one of those apart since the grunge scene.

  2. #2HarleyHappy2025-09-18 08:03

    That or the original owner turned the housing out to accept a larger diameter seal because it was scored up inside.

  3. #3pittsburgh cat man2025-09-18 08:53

    I don't know if this will help you but you have a 3s6610 cage that calls for 2 6f5559 seals and 1 7f2122 seal

  4. #4CaptainB2025-09-20 22:07

    Thanks! yeah I got the 7f2122 seal but I think it doesnt fit properly there is like a 1 mm gap its just a dust seal apparently so I will leave it like this, thanks Ill let you know how it went