I am new to this forum and Google brought me to how to choose a skid steer...and I would like to ask the same question. In summary, I live on a farm, have cats and dogs... (going to dealers Monday to check them out) Uses by me: Large garden (Troybilt always hard to start, pull start, even though I Love it...contemplating a different way, ie rototiller) Trees to move or plant, moving trimmed branches Fences to put up Pallets of food or wood pellets to transfer from pickup truck Brush to clear on old barn concrete. Concrete to move SNOW TO PLOW, two driveways...(warm cab a must!) Presently have a 1976 Ford 6700 with no cab and a bucket and no forks Sidewalk from the old house we transferred, would like to move and place them around Large tree parts to use for landscaping as well as MANY field rocks Sold my Leon Rock picker due to the complexity of using it (never got to even though I finally got tractor for it)--so I would love to pick up rocks with it, or use bucket to gather rocks and transfer Have Ford mower but that, too is too hard for me to connect Bucket to move trash to dumpster or burnpile Bucket probably, to keep large gravel driveways in shape. Main driveway is concrete and would like to keep all snow plowed instead of just some of it (hired) Any and all thoughts would be much appreciated! My friend suggests: Gehl 4840e Easy to maneuver and steer (I find a zero turn, for example extremely troubling to steer, 56.5 years of age and so forth) Safer than my tractor Hydraulic actuated power quick attach (adds about $1400.00) I don't care for the loud backup warning bell (my dogs would probably ignore) Bucket with teeth but no edge (he had reasons for this, mostly maneuverability I think) Fork attachment (ceattachments) Heat and cab a must, A/C not necessary
Do you have any size restrictions? I have a cat 226 and its 60"s wide. Good for tight areas but lacking in weight and capacity. Only 1500lb capacity. If I were to buy another I'd buy a 236 which is a bit bigger with higher capacity. About 2k. I like that size machine a lot. Do you want joysticks or hand feet controls. Lots of options.
My friend said he liked the 4840e because it gets through 7 foot doors. Here that does not matter but the pallets are 1/2 to 1 ton that I want to unload sometimes when I buy in bulk. Thank you "Desertwheeler". Another friend mentioned the controls, all i know is the 4840 I could learn, but if it's like a zero turn it would be difficult for me...has to be as simple as possible. I'm not getting any younger. or brainier!
My friend said he liked the 4840e because it gets through 7 foot doors. Here that does not matter but the pallets are 1/2 to 1 ton that I want to unload sometimes when I buy in bulk. Thank you "Desertwheeler". Another friend mentioned the controls, all i know is the 4840 I could learn, but if it's like a zero turn it would be difficult for me...has to be as simple as possible. I'm not getting any younger. or brainier! I think hand controls would be better, I think feet aren't as quick as the hands?
Joysticks are nice to operate and easier on your body in a long day. I have never ran a gehl don't know what controls they have either. All cats have joysticks. Jcb's have joysticks too and also have side entry cabs which some people love. The most common attachments I use are forks, tooth and smooth buckets, and grapple bucket. You just have to decide new, used what style controls etc. then we can narrow your search down for Ya.
Thank you! the Gehl has left stick for the ride and right stick does the bucket which is helpfully like my Ford 6700 I got a couple years ago. YOU ARE CORRECT, a side door is much more convenient, I could see that yesterday, and my friend mentioned sometimes there is a problem with front exit and attachments. thanks, I am so glad I found this forum.
i want new and I will look up bucket choices. this certainly is similar to a car purchase for me. how much will dealers dicker compared to car salesmen?
JCB Advertising is impressive. ..which one...I wish I could see prices more readily. http://agriculture.jcbna.com/Products/Machines/Skid-Steer-Loader.aspx
I went to JCB dealer today, I found out the search I initially did, telling me 125 miles away Milwaukee was the closest, was WRONG! When I emailed them, they have not answered. Thankfully I found out from a friend who also searched it, and we went to the local dealer whose been there 8 years...I absolutely love the one I test drove, the 260, but I question if I need that size? I do not know what rocks and large logs weigh, but I can only bring home pallets that are half a ton at this time, and the most would be 1 ton if I get or borrow a larger truck. All opinions appreciated. I also tested a Toro 52 inch walk behind (for exercise) with a platform. Loved it, 5200 on sale. But it's a little high for me at 5 foot five.
My answer to this question every time it pops up is whatever dealer is going to do the best job of getting you back to work when the machine breaks. They all break, some more than others but the key is getting it back to work asap. In my area the Cat dealer is the one everyone else tries to emulate, they offer overnight delivery on most parts that aren't in stock. From what I've read here on the forums not all Cat dealers offer such great service. Gehl is not strong in my area, I can't remember ever seeing one. As far as size, get as big as you can afford unless you have to move it often, then you'd be limited by what you have available to move it with. Personally I wouldn't go with less than a 2000lb lift rating which means you'll be able to lift nearly 4000lbs if you're very careful. In my area Cat, Bobcat and Case are the strongest sellers with some New Holland and John Deere as well. Once you get a machine, you'll want to check out http://www.quickattach.com for attachments, very good people to deal with and a quality product.
Thank you, Steve Frazier, good points. Makes sense to get as large as can afford. I assume it's more reasonable to get attachments at www.ceaattachments.com or www.quickattach.com . JCB is relatively unknown here, but there is a service center 45 minutes away and nothing I do with this machine would be an emergency repair, as I have a 1976 Ford 6700 for backup so far. I'm awaiting the prices from the salesman, will they negotiate perhaps? Would others recommend not buying the attachments from the dealer or I suppose one must check the prices, ask for price without attachments similar to asking for new car price without the trade in?
I owned an older 1845case beast of a machine wheel drive, then I upgraded to a cat 257b tracked machine HUGE difference between wheel and track. If you have any mud or poor traction conditions go with a track machine and live with no regrets. I never used OTT but have heard and read decent thoughts about them. Track machines are higher in price but from my experience well worth every penny.
Thanks, MadDog, a friend who has worked with skid steers in this area told me that the tracks were very bouncy and so forth and told me my neighbors were trading theirs in. This coordinates with the JCB spokesman, he said, get the machine on your location and try it as a demo before you buy...sounds like an important point. Thanks again. I do not mind bouncy...reminds me of the olden days out in the field with my Dad on the machinery or trucks.
Kater my 257B road like a dream compared to the wheeled 1845, the tracked machine seemed to glide somewhat like a snowmobile, the wheeled machine was like a solid suspension truck on a rock road
This is interesting... http://www.quickattach.com/attachments/overthetiretracks/ tracks to add to tires....(MadDog)
Most times the attachments are more reasonably priced direct from the manufacturer and are often times the identical unit. Many machine manufacturers purchase their same brand name attachments from these aftermarket companies and relabel them.
I also looked at getting a skid steer for my house. I didn't in the end due to how much they are lol. Jcb isn't bad but as everyone else has said tracks are best for a homeowner. Also I would definitely get the joystick controls. A Cat 257D or a Kubota SLV75 are both very good machines. If getting in and out is a concern then I would look at the JCB 150T or 260T. I've had a JCB 215S which I loved!! And a JCB 804 Super, which I also liked but I like my Bobcat much better.
That's the exact same reason I don't buy a new one
I emailed the JCB salesman MONDAY NIGHT and he said he would get back to me shortly when I emailed AGAIN...AND it is now almost Friday with no word. 8-(
So I question tracks vs. wheels and I read that it seemed radial lift was better for lifting and so forth (vs vertical arm).....Sure wish a salesman would get back to me....got a non reply from requesting quote from jcb page.
Kater, sorry to read you're having problems getting in contact with the JCB dealer. My old dealer in upstate NY was a great guy even delivered a $50.00 part free of charge over 100miles away(had a JCB excavator). If I could buy new I would get the JCB tracked SS, did a lot of research on them and just feel they would best suit my needs. I hate to write this but if you can't find a reputable/respectable dealer then chances are you won't care for any brand machine you can come up with.
I finally called the JCB salesman, he said he was going to prepare tonight new price and some used prices, then I asked questions and found out the smaller JCB's have Kohler engines, which I was told not to get...so he thinks a 260..he said the smaller one is almost never sold...260 is most popular..they have 90 skid loaders (rentals too)...and 70 percent are 260's. At any rate, he says he'll have prices to me Monday, but the pricing sounds daunting...33k used....50?k...? I talked to another salesman, who no longer sells Jcb's and he told me that I should consider a compact tractor with a cab instead (30k). That is not for me, I have an older Ford 6700 from the 1970s with a bucket but no cab.
Interesting things...AC is 1500 more, but helps resale (there is no cross ventilation unless you take the front window out which takes 20 minutes)...and leave door off....salesman said a kit to add A/C is 4500 and is very difficult to install, also it is installed above the cab instead of being influenced by the hot engine....they have a whole fleet of JCB's leased for snow months...when I test drove, the man there said that they have a program where you pay a base rate and you only pay for the hours you actually did move snow.. There were many interesting points the salesman made....I pray that it becomes easy to decide at some point. Thanks for help.
The Internet says there is a new parts store for JCB in Aurora, IL! Their website is NOT helpful totally, it has issues.
Why do you say tracks are better for the home owner? The bulk of my use would be in snow, and everyone around here that I ask say no to tracks...the salesman, too. It might be a climate issue or what you are using it for...
I finally asked (sixth time?) for just quote on new one, as I originally asked: NEW JCB 260 All standard equipment, block heater, cab a/c and heat, 74" bucket.......................$45,850.00 Additional options Radio and speakers.................$ 310.00 Rotating beacon and outlet.....$ 145.00 2 speed....................................$1,570.00 Hi flow......................................$1,900.00 (required with some tiller options) Attachment Tillers have a lot of options but will range in price dependent on which options you choose.........$5,000.00 to $7,500.00 Heavy duty grapple 72"..................$5,500.00 All pricing is subject to applicable taxes and freight
We use our BobCat 753C around our farm for gravel/snow/logs/lifting/ etc. All of our attachments (except the bucket) are aftermarket as we use them for residential vs. commercial (saves about 1/2 to 2/3 the price of OEM attachments): grapple bucket, log spliter, stump bucket. We looked at buying a tiller, but found a tractor tiller was about 1/3 of the price and PTO vs. hydraulic driven (less to break, more steel). Any other attachments we rent from our local BobCat dealer (rented an auger to put in 36 posts for a lean too). Buy the machine you like from a dealer with an excellent reputation for service (that's close to the farm).
I lived in the Adirondacks which see's its fair share of snow, I was also told that tracked SS'es were no good in snow. I'm sure glad I didn't listen to those folks because my tracked machine could run circles around my wheeled machine in deep snow. It was real handy for getting wood in an unplowed snow area, that a wheeled machine wouldn't move. If your only plowing on a paved drive then wheeled would be fine. I used mine for plowing snow, getting wood, logging, digging ponds(also another place wheeled was completely useless) and so on. The ONLY drawback of a tracked machine is price or maybe if you where to be only working in gravel(tears tracks up). Just my opinion from my experience, wheeled and tracked are completely different machines, I'd take a tracked over wheel any day.
Maddog, thanks, all sounds very good. Looking forward to a grapple for rocks and such especially. And auger __rental_ makes sense...I will look more...the little I will use it, warranty will be up before problems...I'm told...two years...and...I have a mechanic cousin that can do repairs....still looking!
Not surprised you haven't heard back from the dealer in Milwaukee. I've been trying to deal with them lately and they don't seem to care at all. Never follow through on anything, terrible communication and they don't seem to know the industry very well at all. If JCB wants to sell something they need to call people back. I'm not going to play phone tag all day. If you have a dealer close by, my vote goes to Cat. The new D series are very nice. 262D would be comparable to the 260 JCB you priced.
I guess if I wanted a "Cadillac" like I thought the JCB was, I should have checked out CAT's. My friend in Poland recommended CAT (and mentioned since I like cats.). Thanks for the 262D heads up...and I got comments from my neighbor about the tracks....."He is right, but it depends what you are doing with it. I would take a wheel over track model for our purposes because we are mainly on gravel and concrete. Our kubota tracked skidloader is at 800 hours and the tracks will need to be replaced very soon. It is also difficult to move things on gravel/concrete because the tracks cause your load to shift more and it is difficult to "finesse" when moving side to side. But our track model can lift more, is less likely to tip, and is less likely to get stuck in mud or ice. Once kubota comes out with a wheeled model i will probably be trading it in. Depends on whether or not our needs change."
If the JCB dealer is treating you like this when you want to buy a machine, can you imagine how it will go if you have a problem you need resolved? I'd steer clear of them!!
Cute pun on "steer"....I was a day away from purchasing a Case 2001 40 XT and the guy renigged on the deal (craigslist)..that really soured me. Most friends want me to buy used....but that time waster was ridiculous, my cousin spent 2 hours driving with me to see it, it was 'really clean' but the guy claimed the motor blew up, yet he would not give me a price for that (cuz my cousin could put a new motor in it)....So I might look at a CAT 226 ? and a CASE that's not too far from here...sigh............nothing is that easy ...
I have bought used from private parties and from dealers. Would not buy used again from a private party without having it checked out at a reputable dealer. Remember when looking at used that repairs on these things can easily cost as much as purchase price. The case you looked at with a bad engine for example.
I want to buy a new one, just having people say not to. 8-( But you misunderstood, my 25 year heavy equipment mechanic cousin looked at the machine, he said there is no way that engine locked up....I asked the guy to buy it with such an engine...and he wrote he would research and get back to me, it's been almost a week. No doubt, he found a better offer (craigslist). There were other things that seemed "fishy" like not giving me his name until I asked a third time (wanted cash). My cousin said brand name isn't as important if I buy it new.
Kater, I have both a skid steer and a (sort of) compact tractor. Both have cabs and air conditioners. My first suggestion to you is if you haven't run a skid steer much, rent one with an enclosed cab and use it for a week or so. I too am feeling my age and I find it difficult at times when I have to get on and off my skidsteer a lot to change implements especially with the door in the way. I have a hydraulic attach plate so I can change implements that do not use aux hydraulics from inside the cab. From what I saw in your original post, I am wondering if you wouldn't be happier in the long run with a compact tractor with an enclosed cab. My tractor is a New Holland TN70D with cab, AC and Heat. It is 4WD with a front end loader and a skidsteer quick attach plate. I had a set of remote aux hydraulics plumbed to the front end loader when I bought the tractor so I can run about any implement a skidloader can. At the time, the TN70D was the smallest tractor that you could get a factory cab on. You can now get tractors down to 30 hp or so with very nice cabs. From your first post, I got the impression that you could do everything you wanted to do with a compact tractor. I think it would be easier to get in and out of, would beat up your body less and would do less damage to your yard. It would be a hard choice for me If I had to pick one or the other but if one had to go, it would be the skid. Tim
tmc_31, Tim, thanks so much for the post. A salesman told me about compact tractors, but I have a Ford 6700 without a cab, maybe I should google the pros and cons...JCB with the nice side door and good view comes back to my mind, but 45,800 is cost prohibitive, the 260 is a large model, but the Gehl comparable JCB has a Koehler (sp) engine that I'm told to "steer" clear of. Since you are the 2nd one to say this, I really need to re-evaluate. THANK YOU all for your time! age 56.5 This morning I couldn't even remember if I was 55 or 56.5..
If you are looking for a Cat I would recommend at a minimum a 236. The 226 is small and light weight but also light on capacity. Get a machine that will suit your needs not just a new one. I would test run every brand and see what you like. I'd also test run dealers. Parts, service, how many mobile techs? Our new ones also have a back up camera. Very cool feature. Check out all the options that you want and then make your decision. Good Luck.
The back viewing camera is a great thing, I put one in my New Holland a few years ago and it has kept me from backing into or over quite a few things including the dog. Mirrors help but they are usually knocked out of position.
Great comments thank you so much! On the skidster side of the coin, I agree I need something not so big for me to hit things with... see my relative's response: "a skid steer is way more maneuverable than any tractor loader that I have run including some of the almost lawn tractor loaders. Skidders are hard on the lawns if you turn sharp" (however). Whatever I get........hopefully I can keep the collision accidents at bay. The Local Cat dealer said they just got a 226 in...apparently they do not keep many in stock.
I have a buddy with a 257b track , a cat 236b and a mid sized gehl. Forget the number all for sale in northern Illinois. Your more than welcome to message me for a number
Hi Cartzblown94z....! I am 20 minutes from you! Let me figure out how to message you.
I like my 226 a lot but wish I had a 236 a lot for the extra power and weight. But it gets the job done just fine.
Thank you, Desertwheeler, too. I know there is a lot of information here, I have been reading many posts from many people, I appreciate the posts here. I saw that a rear video is nice, and Costco has one with rave reviews...for 199 presently...almost tempted to buy one in anticipation, but I'm holding back, chuckle.
Or you can hire me to come do what you need done with my track machine .
Cartzblown94z, smile, I could, but I was checking your posts out and you are very high caliber! I am a farmer wanna be and am starting late in life, smile. 3/4 of it is having fun with a skid loader doing things. But thanks for the offer and thanks for the phone number. I am hard leaning towards new, what do you think of the Case dealer in Rochelle, Johnson Tractor?
Never dealt with them. I'm not a case fan. The newer ones prob have the pilot controls but I hated the older ones and the clunky controls. Patten cat I have an acct with and they are great, but that's about the only dealer I've dealt with. I do all my own repairs and order online when I need something
Kater: Food for thought...look at my thread of improvements to my NH L220 here: Some thoughts... Backup camera, be sure it's heated, so it sheds ice/snow if you will be plowing snow. I opted for a low tech approach of external rearview mirrors. I agree that a good minimum size (maybe all you need) is an operating capacity of 2,000 lbs. That will put you about in the 60 hp range. Vertical lift is really great for augering post holes, you don't have to constantly move machine to auger plumb. Otherwise, it's good for lift & carry (load is closer to machine than radial) & has more reach at maximum height. Also, NH & Case vertical lift feature a unique in-cab boom lock that makes it safe to get out of the machine when the arms are up. Case & NH are very similar & are made in the same factory in Witchitaw, KS. JCB side-entry cab is unique & is the most spacious. Among other things, side entry allows getting out when arm is only partially up, or are in any position. Can make working alone much more doable. Side-entry is probably the thing I miss the most using my NH skid steer as compared to working with my Ford/NH 1320 4fwd compact diesel tractor, but I don't miss being COLD when plowing snow, where I don't usually ever have to get out. All CTL's with solid undercarriages & rubber tracks will ride hard & will tear up turf. Cat MTL, with a ASV/Terex suspended undercarriage will provide the best ride & do the least damage to turf, & provide the best flotation on wet ground, but there are design problems with balance & maintenance. Cat has made many good improvements in their D series machines. I think that their hydraulics are probably the strongest, & their E-H joystick control system is the most refined. They also offer unique self-leveling down (as well as up), speed-selectable ride control, & return-to-dig functions. Cat & JCB both have virtually one-piece sealed cabs. A SSL or a CTL is a compact, very maneuverable & powerful machine. But, as compared to wheeled tractors or compact articulated loaders, they are very cramped to work on, don't have a lot of ground clearance, & have hard to clean undercarriages & belly pans. Availability of a rear drawbar, or at least a rear-end design that makes it easy to fabricate one, could be important if you want to tow something or add something on the back (like a receiver hitch & winch, like I did). There is NO perfect solution...no one makes a machine that combines all the features that I would like in a SSL or CTL. My dream would be a side-entry tracked machine (JCB), with an improved suspended MTL undercarriage (CAT), with refined E-H controls & strong hydraulics (CAT), with a rear drawbar/double receiver hitch (NH/Case), with vertical lift with in-cab boom lock (NH/Case). And for icing on the cake, throw in a mono-boom that telescopes even a little, like a tele-handler!!
StumpyWally thank you, that is a lot of information, I appreciate it. I looked awhile today and one has to really delve for such.
Off topic, but here is a news story for JCB: http://www.australianearthmoving.com.au/?p=3966 Apparently they have won a record for their big machine. quoted: Australian Earthmoving Magazine News: The world-famous JCB GT was today crowned the fastest digger on earth after reaching speeds of more than 113 km an hour in Australia. The JCB GT – originally designed to perform high-speed wheelies at racing events – made the attempt in front of independent record officials at Bathurst, NSW. Today Guinness World Records confirmed that the powerful JCB digger was officially the fastest backhoe loader in the world with a speed of 116.82km/h.
JCB opens new Chicago-area parts distribution center JCB opened its fourth parts distribution center in Aurora, Illinois, in September, joining warehouses in Savannah, Georgia, Fontana, California and Ontario, Canada. The Chicago-based facility will serve as the main parts distribution center for JCB in North America, and more than doubles the previous warehouse capacity in North America. The centrally based location is designed to reduce transit times to dealers, says Chris Giorgianni, vice president, parts and services, JCB North America. “It’s possible for us to stock more parts inventory in North America than every before, and our North American customers will be able to more quickly get the parts they need to stay up and running,” he says.
New holland and deere would be the closest dealers, bobcat isn't far either
Monday I was go get information from our local dealer, but I have not received any emails, only a phone call, after I voice mailed what I needed, and their midwest guy asked them to call me.. ..which ...the local owner left me a voice mail (I had purposely asked him to email me, and did not leave my number--the corporate office gave out my number)...on voice mail the local owner said they would be open Monday after Thanksgiving. I asked for itemized pricing for the JCB 260.some attachments like fork with teeth, bucket, rock grapple...and any kind of pdf of service or operation manual via email. How long does it take for a more local dealer to add JCB, I see some sell two kinds, here on the forum, or should I be asking dealers further out? An elderly neighboring farmer died so I did not "go after" these answers this week, hoping they would "do their job" while I dealt with neighbor's issues and funeral. Clearly disappointed.
I can tell you everytime I deal with the guys at patten cat in Rockford for rental machines they bend over backwards to help. They are right off 20 at the IL2 exit. Not too far either
Availability of a rear drawbar, or at least a rear-end design that makes it easy to fabricate one, could be important if you want to tow something or add something on the back (like a receiver hitch & winch, like I did). "So where do I stand on this point with the JCB?" It doesn't look very rear capable."