Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Remote pump for diesel transfer tank

ENGINE902 · 2025-01-13 14:47

I'm looking to put a diesel transfer tank in an underbody position below a platform dump body. The typical Fill-Rite or GPI direct mount pumps add too much height to the tank. Any remote mount pumps that can be used for this application? I could mount the pump close by, so suction length shouldn't be a problem. I might have missed it, but I didn't see any available from Fill-Rite or GPI. If anyone knows of a pump supplier for this application and can point me in that direction, that would be appreciated. TIA for any comments.

Replies8
  1. #1LN Pipeline2025-01-13 18:58

    Your transfer pump will have 2” male pipe thread. Just fabricate a simple bracket with a 2” threaded collar welded on it to mount the pump. Then run 1” suction hose from the pump to wherever your tank is mounted, and use a 2” x 1” x 1” double tap bushing to plumb the fuel tank. https://www.supplyhouse.com/Ward-FBDT2X1X1-2-x-1-x-1-Black-Double-Tapped-Tank-Bushing The bushing goes where your pump would normally go. The suction riser threads in the bottom, suction hose plumbs in the top with a barbed insert nipple and goes to your pump. I’ll post some pictures of something I built to mount a pump to if my explanation is not clear.

  2. #2cfherrman2025-01-13 19:16

    I believe a coworker took a typical pump and threaded into the 1" that the stand pipe is normally in and used it that way A friend bought a pump cheap that is remote mount, it was like $70 with everything and has been using it since march

  3. #3Coaldust2025-01-13 19:16

    Platform dump body? Pictures? Do you have air? A diagram pump is an option. No electricity to fuss with. Ka-chug, ka-chug,….

  4. #4terex herder2025-01-13 21:34

    The 1" npt for the standpipe works fine for a hose. Weld a 1" bung in the bottom of the tank and put the pump on the end of the tank. Connect with hose.

  5. #5Shimmy12025-01-13 23:34

    Chances are pretty slim he's going to have the 30+ CFM needed for one of those...

  6. #6IceHole2025-01-13 23:58

    We run them off truck air.

  7. #7cfherrman2025-01-14 09:13

    I can still hear it

  8. #8DDoug2025-01-14 09:19

    I've got a small pump (IIRC 5"-6" diaphragms) and it does just fine, no way do I have "30+ CFM" of air from a 3 hp air compressor, and it runs a normal nozzle just fine. The Fuel nozzle seems to be the limiting factor IIRC, but it put's out same Qty as an electric pump.