News blurb on MSN, Daimler based in Portland announced due to new OR law as of Jan 1 they will cease all truck sales in OR. New law specifies 7% of all manufacturers equipment sold to be electric. Daimler had enough.
It's a shame, but the tail has been wagging the dog for far too long. Corrections will be made. It's just unfortunate a lot of people will suffer during the correction period.
They are taking their ball and going home.
State is biggest Loser, taxes on new sales Cease.
Had they followed Commiefornia's credit plan, they wouldn't be in this pinch. But Oregon said, "hold my beer, watch this" and now , here we are!
Good. Its time some of these state governments get a taste of their own medicine. California is getting it back in spades right now....
Isn't California's GDP over 4 trillion, like 14% of the USA's total, with the next closest being Texas at 2.5 Trillion
Wasn't exactly what I was referring to, although companies are leaving Ca in droves.
Oh I hear ya, but what I meant was, I know a lot of people don't like California, but it does bring in a lot of cash. Like the smelly uncle with a mattress full of money thats good for a 50 at christmas and birthdays.
California has a lot more clout and sales volume so such extreme measures not as likely to be taken against us. Also Oregon and Washington seem to take whatever California is doing and turn it even lefter with less thought of the consequences. We'll see.
Then they alone can pay the losses at Palisades.
Hope they pay for our plane that hit the drone.
I dare say, GDP can include quite a Few Exaggerated values that are not "Products" but can be Financially Qualified as a Number in Money Value. Will see how this all plays.
It's really easy to go to a neighboring state to buy a truck. I believe that I read where dealers in one of the northeast states were having a hard time as well. It seems they have to sell some percentage of electric trucks for diesel trucks sold. I don't recall the number, but it is really hard on the dealerships......to the point they must almost give the electric trucks away in order to be able to continue selling diesel powered. And they can't really tack on the loss to the diesel ones or customers go to another state to purchase.
Easy Fix, Close those dealerships as non profitable, stop selling anything, just remember will require travel to associated dealer for warranty Out of State. OR screwed the pooch here. Daimler NOT playing the game.
Washington State------All company trucks will now come out of Idaho Falls.
Which means I tow only to Washington dealers. Our best repair shop in La Grande will not be on our list.
And all of our last trade-ins went to Idaho.
Good deal!
IMO--and none of this is startling to me, everybody has ideas--some good, most not so good when it comes to EV's, environment. What will change thought pattern is when the tax coffers start drying up and businesses threaten to move/ leave. None of this--am I going to worry about, It does no good to whine and cry over government policy---every policy that was enacted during my life has been rewritten or changed to some degree whether it was good or bad. There is no such thing as perfect, humans will continue to make some happy and some sad with their doings. It all boils down to money always has always will.
If EV's are so amazing then why do they have to try and coerce people into buying them?
They are amazing in that they can burn and shut down I-80 for 14 hours.
Get your battery chargers outside your house because mr insurance doesn't like battery chargers indoors--I wrote that wrong--should have been countryfied--Bat-tree. * the irony is the libs line up to buy Tesla from muskrat.
Yeah, not happenin much around here. Charger that will charge them reasonably quick is $4-8000, second feeder with separate meter to feed just that is $5500. And still have to pay metered rate. $.16kwh off peak, $.19 peak.
Oh no----I'm not talking about a EV car bat-tree, no, no, no. I'm talking about your six gun bat-tree powered tool belt, you know 20volt. A friends shop burned down because the---- bat-tree caught fire on the charger, most insurance won't cover if MacGyver tools are charged indoors. And everyone on here has/is a MacGyver. * Oh I left out--
I must be a panzie , I'm still dragging air hose vs lugging that heavy battery powered tool. They have their place and I have a few, but I wouldn't want to do a big job with hundreds of fasteners with one.
Same here--they can have the space gun.
Of course they never mention that the lithium they have to mine for the batteries is about the most toxic nasty stuff there is. It doesn't mesh with the gov'ts. cleaner and better for the environment message. A couple electric vehicle fires in garages will have insurance rates through the roof for homes and cars. Next thing they'll have designated parking spots for electric vehicles and people can't park in their garage.
Already there Dave. My Insurer asked if we intended to purchase one in that our home insurance would be written with Exclusion language if stored in a home connected garage. No structure over a EV car truck or mower that catches fire will be covered.
Been there as well TS, angers me at times when come up with crazy decisions to ‘Protect the Public’ that really doesn’t. Do-gooders, doing gooder things for everyone in public announcements and there own egos but especially their own pockets.
Minda like Airbags. My 99 Ford has two, steering wheel and Rt Dash, 25 years never deployed. Uncertain if anymore would deploy but not testing. Cost to consumer? Over the long haul have added side curtain bags, seat belt on Driver aide in that truck revised Seven times, mine is failed as to retractor but none to buy and nothing functionally worth it to buy to replace. So throw truck away for that, not thinking so. Gimmicks, protection equipment for those that cannot drive sensibly? Nothing installed has been done to protect me as I do drive sensibly and sane. Energy absorbing frames and bumpers, another not ever challenged, I do not tailgate. ABS, do not challenge road conditions and allow decent stopping distances. Remediating machines to Protect those that abuse or misuse is not the answer, simply adds costs that are returned to buyers by builders. The Infinitesimally Crazy EPA, Demands Fuel economy then requires equipment that notably decrease that, same mouth speaking from both sides, penalties applied both ways. Is only about the money as in practice just more Do-Gooder crap.
Younger brother has fixed up/restored several old Pontiacs, 66 2+2, an Executive, a ‘62 Aluminum Front Catalina coupe, current is a 72 Grand Prix. Was speaking of his last car show where a woman walked up, spoke how pretty and how absolutely dangerous those old cars were. He asked what she meant and she pointed out those features above. He noted the cars he and our other brother restored not once ever challenged those ‘Potential’ events where that equipment were unnecessary. She scoffed, been in dozens of small accidents and survived with the safety equipment, he explained she was living a Cats Nine Lives pressing fate, expecting the machines to save her bad driving habits, he did/does not live that way. Turned red and scooted away by his report.
Well------------------you got the pews full in your non-do-gooder church, you have two disciples whapping the like 4 posts in a row, what ya bet the disciples take a break on this one.
the Do Gooders have been costing the US Population Trillions of Dollars over the last half century. My Dad despised them, My brothers and I do not care for them either.
Dave------not everyone is as prudent as you and your family, you could have made millions teaching common sense---------------------------if it weren't for the lawyers.
Mebbe you should sit one or two of these out......
Maybe.
I'm putting in a NEMA 14-50 outlet in the carport; I can plug a welder into that or an EV charger. No need for a second service or any dramatic bullcrap. If your panel can't support a welder you went wrong at the beginning. I'm putting it at the outer corner so I can back a car in there and charge it, or charge a visitor's car in two positions in the driveway without shuffling vehicles. I had originally had it at the back and realized that was limiting. Up front it is also an RV hookup for a visiting motorhome with the 50 service. I don't have an EV or plans but I'm not stupid enough to not plan for any contingency. And I do have a welder and friends with motorhomes.
Yeah there is just too much safety stuff-----they need to drop all safety requirements for any and every item or job, and while their at it remove all instructions from items requiring assembly or operation, **** threee quarters don't read them anyways, waste of paper. * Urgent care will be over run.
20v tools/batteries are not heavy.
97.5% of the homes built here barely have more than one 15 amp outlet circuit in the garage. 100% of the houses built in the 60s had a 100 amp service. Most kitchens only have one 15 amp circuit. On the farm 35 years ago, if Dad was welding in the yard, the lights would dim down in the house. We have about 10% of the farms we used to have, but I'd bet if every single one tried to weld at the exact same second , the grid would melt down.
No, they just need new regulation to save us. No one should leave their house without a government approved crash helmet on, and a fire suit, safety goggles, a life jacket, steel toed boots, work gloves, hearing protection, and an emergency kit with anti venom, burn cream, an eye wash station, safety flares (not ones that burn though, they are dangerous). shall we go on?
I found it kind of funny that every shop I've ever worked in had only 15 amp 120 volt outlets. The old man and I had the electricians wire all the 120 volt outlets in our personal shops/garages for 20 amps. Probably overkill for us but whatever. The added cost up front is nickles and dimes in the grand scheme of things.
I'm sure on the east half. get your hard hat on.
Just awkward
Try out the new wave of 12v Milwaukee tools. Outside of large fasteners, they are quite capable at removing ½" hardware at a fraction of the weight of the 18v stuff.
I swore I'd never buy a cordless impact after buying one of the original ones 15+ years ago. Then I bought the big Dewalt 1/2" impact last summer and haven't touched my air impact since. I use the stubby 3/8" 20 volt all the time. That thing is by far my most used power tool.
I'm a red guy, but I do have a DeWalt 891. The Milwaukee mid-torque is a fantastic tool, I have a 12V that if you have a confined space, put a 2amp battery in and you are as compact as ANY air impact without the hose. Very, very seldom do I have to dig out the Air Cat because my 1/2" Fuel won't break something loose, and even less than that because of confined area. I know this is falling on deaf ears for those of you that insist on air, but for me, I don't need a $3000 air compressor on my service truck. How did this conversation swerve into cordless tools?
Well this thread was -
I use small batteries when a specific tool doesn't require a large one. They weigh next to nothing and don't hang out the bottom of the tool and get in the way (DeWalt 20v). I find dragging the air hose awkward and it seems to get in the way far more often than a larger battery. I am glad we have choices. I wouldn't want to not have either option.
Just like usual...
I took off a lug nut on a rockwell 5t the wrong way last week with my DeWalt 20v 1/2". Reverse threads, who knew
More like not playing ball in their back yard anymore..
They already did that, equipment nowadays does not come with paper manuals, it comes with a QR code that you scan to download the manuals. Think nobody ever read the paper manuals before, they now seem to have no clue that the manual even exists. Noticing the QR code, knowing how to scan it, read 150 pages on your tiny phone screen, nobody gets that far.
QR codes--they assume everyone has a smart phone.
Why does anyone on here care what Freightliner is doing or not doing---none of you would stoop so low as to buy a Freightliner--It's Kenworth's all around, all made of serious money.
You seem to be the only one that cares. And FYI we have 3 of them, all autoshift. Two Colombia's and an FLD. One has a Mercedes of all things. We are also considering some '17 and newer Cascadias since they're about giving them away lately. Lastly, the local coop is looking very hard at a 2025 Cascadia 126 day cab, factory pusher, DD13 and DT12. So, yeah, we do care about Freightliner and what they're doing. Still doesn't change the fact that the Colombia's interiors are complete trash, and the FLD doors fall apart around 500k.
Now ya know got mine on the cheap!! Just cost a lot in pieces!
If had made a different pick, would have been a FL102 business Class with a auto the Wife could maneuver.
Some areas no cell, no emt, can she use jumper cables?
Surprisingly, yes. Can inspect for leaks and tire pressures. Can use mirrors!! Used to back in or pull out the boats we had.
Not surprising, Oregon attempting a Backstroke that Daimler is NOT playing with. Daimler halts ICE truck sales in Oregon, citing dispute on clean truck credits Daimler North America is not selling internal combustion engine trucks in Oregon over a dispute the state believes was settled. www.freightwaves.com
Will all the manufacturing go to North Carolina and Mexico now? They didn’t do much in Portland last 20 years anyway.
Western Star is Portland built, only certain were built on Swan Island. * * Before we get the mis-information news going on guessing game. I somehow doubt Oregon is backpedaling as much as that conservative truck online rag is saying or eluding to. This move was a well planned maneuver by Freightliner to call Oregon States bluff. A power broker chess game that is partially blown out of proportion for allot of various reasons not described in article. * Big biz---there are always X amount of chairs situated around the big conference sphincter.
I don’t care what freightliner is doing. Imma just gonna keep service truckin in the ol’ K-dubya!
That's good, that's great, wonderful, it's Kenworth.
Well let's leave the politics out of it.
I should have inserted the big L.
Heavy Equipment Forums Rules and Posting Guidelines Heavy Equipment Forums Membership Rules and Guidelines Site Objective It is the intent of this site’s administration to offer professionals of the heavy equipment industry a forum and a comfortable enjoyable environment in which to exchange ideas, questions, answers and comments regarding... HeavyEquipmentForums
I was a die hard KW guy but these new ones hardly interest me. I didn't mind the interior update in the mid 2000s but I really detest the move away from the B cab. The new Western Stars look way better than any new KW IMO.
Looks like someone in the state offices got a phone call and a "do you know what this will cost us in tax revenue?" phone call, or one from the dealerships owners. I did notice that it said mack/volvo are limiting sales also. Sounds like no one knows for sure what the rules are, and the manufacturers have decided to play hardball. Maybe more likely to get oregon to blink than california.
I must remember post 69 for future reference.
I think I already stated this in #64.
Not surprising, the memo has passed a few hands!! Breaking: California abandons diesel truck ban and other clean-air rules before Trump is sworn in Because Trump would be unlikely to approve them, California has no choice but to abandon its groundbreaking rules for zero-emission trucks and cleaner locomotives. calmatters.org
Until four years.
The tide has turned, and will stay turned. Time to take back charge of the asylum.
We have three new 49Xs with fuel/lube bodies about to go into service. They're no 4900XD by any stretch of the imagination but a couple of DD13-powered Cascadia service trucks have held up surprisingly well in the pit so I'm cautiously optimistic.
all a dream for some.
Daimler resumes diesel truck sales in Oregon less than a month after pause for environmental laws Daimler Truck North America has resumed the sale of diesel powered commercial vehicles in Oregon less than a month after halting them. Daimler cdllife.com
Gee imagine that.
FINALLY the working people are able to force a blink. At least for now.
"Received incorrect information" In other words allowing the state bureaucrats to roll back and also save face. They would have already had this discussion behind closed doors but somebody was stonewalling to let it go public like this, Daimler showed they have some weight.
We ALL could have some weight, IF we stopped rolling over en masse.
Of coarse daimler has pull----they control 38% of the market. Won't be long and it will be 50%, which should put them on the path to buying out some of the competition.
Borders on Anti Trust values. Hope they understand when to stop.
They will push right up to the finish line, and probably stick a middle finger over.
It would be interesting to a Freightworth or a Freightbuilt or a Freightnational.
^Freightbilt *********
Freightliner can put anything on it they want, I would pick on you but the bromance club would frown. .