Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Removing Counterweight from a 1990 Case 580k (need advice)

rdavison39 · 2026-05-05 08:43

Hi everyone, I’ve got a hydraulic leak somewhere around the pump area, and it looks like I’ll need to remove the counterweight to properly access the pump, hoses, or fittings. Before I get started, I’m looking for some advice on the best way to remove the counterweight. I haven’t purchased a transmission jack yet, but I will if that’s the safest approach. I do have the service manual, but I couldn’t find any clear instructions for counterweight removal. I’ve seen a few posts (including the attached photo) where people used the front bucket to support a 1-ton hoist, though there were some concerns raised about safety. I also have a 2-ton floor jack and was considering using a transmission jack adapter, but I’m unsure how stable that setup would be given the jack’s relatively narrow base (~6"). While it could likely handle the weight, stability is my main concern—especially if I need to move the counterweight once it’s off. I’ve attached: A photo of my machine An example of the bucket/hoist setup I mentioned The transmission jack adapter I was considering Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Ron Someone did this but he was in a pinch given his pump gave out in the field not sure this is a good option

Replies6
  1. #1HarleyHappy2026-05-05 09:27

    I would opt for the chain hoist, with the bucket support on. I w probably add a second C channel for the other side, if I was concerned. I take it, you haven’t exactly verified where the leak is? It could be from the oil cooler and the counterweight may not need to be removed.

  2. #2Tinkerer2026-05-05 09:28

    I made an adapter similar like that many years ago. Way too dangerous to use because it is narrow and tips over easily. I bought a real transmission jack at Harbor Freight. I highly recommend them.

  3. #3HATCHEQUIP2026-05-05 10:15

    While you have it off check that steering cylinder

  4. #4rdavison392026-05-05 11:25

    Thanks HH for the quick reply - good suggestions. Correct about the leak verification. I have crawled all around underneath and tried to pin point. The leak seems to land on the front axel and the drip from th ere but i can see the exact location - it seems to be coming from around the pump and hoping its just a hose or a fitting - but i don't think i can get at it without removing the CW. Regarding the oil cooler - i'm trying to understand where that is located. Per service manual (pic below) it seems to be right near or under the radiator - is that correct ? What liquid is used to cool the oil ? For sure I'm leaking hydraulic fluid and not anti-freeze...

  5. #5rdavison392026-05-05 11:31

    Thanks HatchE - just clarifying your comment about the steering cylinder - on my backhoe the steering cylinder can be accessed from underneath - in fact, i already rebuilt this cylinder (hence the bright yellow paint so i can remember which cyclinders i've rebuilt!!). Is there something else that i should look at while CW is off ?? (pic steering cylinder) In another thread someone mentioned i should clean out the suction screen - not sure if that applies to my unit - seems it would be an odd place to have a servicable part that requires removing CW

  6. #6HATCHEQUIP2026-05-05 11:43

    Definitely clean the screen On steering, yours is 4 wheel drive, 2 wheel you pull CW. Be sure and check the drive coupling for the pump.